The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Extension Cord Safety Tip

A buddy was telling me the other day, not to use extension cords rolled up. I’ve never heard this. I’ve been using rolled up cords for about 25yrs now and never had a problem but decided to Google it. It seems he was right. Learn something new every day.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  52.4 KB
http://www.safetyattitude.com/articl...tricalcord.pdf

Name:  DSCN3184 (640x480).jpg
Views: 455
Size:  46.0 KB
I’ve been using 3 of these for years now. I’m gonna hate to pull all this cord out every time I need it, but I guess better safe than sorry.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
ERASER5

Re: Extension Cord Safety Tip

Yes and no. The truth is that the overheating is LOAD dependant. If you are running a trouble light, coiling will never be a problem. If you are plugging up an air conditioner, freezer, large battery charger at the same time you will have an issure no matter what. Thinking about what you are doing is the key, making all inclusive rules that rarely apply is not.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Thats what i was telling him. Don't over load the cord and no problems. Thats when he said that just having it rolled up while in use would create heat. Even in light duty use. Then he sent me the link i posted.

So what does everybody here think? Its ok to use rolled up cords as long as you dont go over what its rated or Allways unroll the cord before use? I sure dont want to unroll it if i dont have to.

Last edited by dragginmetal; 11-19-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added more.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Lee H

Any body can find an Internet article about anything they want, good or bad. All those home spun diatribes about friend or a neighbor are nothing more than entertainment. Now if United Laboratories or Consumer Reports published a warning I would be more inclined heed.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Great subject and something I would never have considered.
I think it would alright to use a rolled up cord as long as you dont overload it.
But, better yet, use the shortest cord you have for what you are doing.

I know a few folks that daisy-chain their cords but it seems to me that that
would dammage the cord and be a safety issue also.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Any body can find an Internet article about anything they want, good or bad. All those home spun diatribes about friend or a neighbor are nothing more than entertainment. Now if United Laboratories or Consumer Reports published a warning I would be more inclined heed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fair enough. Good point. I never thought about United Laboratories. Their web site should have been my first stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
Great subject and something I would never have considered.
I think it would alright to use a rolled up cord as long as you dont overload it.
But, better yet, use the shortest cord you have for what you are doing.

I know a few folks that daisy-chain their cords but it seems to me that that
would dammage the cord and be a safety issue also.
That's what started this discusion. I didn't have a short cord and when i pulled out the 100ft in a 5gl bucket, he started his lecture. I will admit, i do need to get some shorter ones. It's just that ex-cords are not cheap and i've been using these like this for so long it's hard to break a habit. .....Now that i'm thinking about it. These ex-cords were bought back around 1989 or 90. It might be time to replace them with some new ones anyway.

Last edited by dragginmetal; 11-19-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
hayhauler71

I have used many drop lights and drop cords that hang from the ceiling and never saw a warning about unloading the whole reel just don't over load the cord that is why they have a rating on them
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Gumby

The "not to use extension cords rolled up" thing I heard was due to ya know how ya wind a wire around a nail to make a magnet, the loops of wire still have a field effect, that causes more load then needed. we had to always lay out the cords at the job site.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
I have used many drop lights and drop cords that hang from the ceiling and never saw a warning about unloading the whole reel just don't over load the cord that is why they have a rating on them
You said it perfect. I havent thought about drop lights and drop cords. After the lecture he gave me, i cant wait to see what he has to say when i send him the link to this tread.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The "not to use extension cords rolled up" thing I heard was due to ya know how ya wind a wire around a nail to make a magnet, the loops of wire still have a field effect, that causes more load then needed. we had to always lay out the cords at the job site.
That was his first point to me. So i said, I thought the insulation was there to help stop that. That's when he started talking about heat build up.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
cdowns

biggest thing is the longer the extension cord the heavier gauge wire it should be made of to carry the load without melting// ALOT of people go for the cheap cheap longer ones and have all sorts of problems burnin things up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginmetal View Post
That was his first point to me. So i said, I thought the insulation was there to help stop that. That's when he started talking about heat build up.
if you did it in science class, you wrap an insulated wire around the nail, red coated copper wire or even reg rubber covered wire, it turned the nail into a magnet either way.

the insulation only stop direct contact shorts, cross talk or effects of power generation don't care about some rubber.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
if you did it in science class, you wrap an insulated wire around the nail, red coated copper wire or even reg rubber covered wire, it turned the nail into a magnet either way.

the insulation only stop direct contact shorts, cross talk or effects of power generation don't care about some rubber.
Hum... Not sure what to say after that.
I wonder how drop cords get away with it. Now i'm right back where i started. To unroll or leave rolled? Seems the only thing everyone is sure of is don't over load the cord.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Gumby

Well our anal retentive boss[who was a mechanical engineer ] would go on and on about the effects and how were burning up his equipment not laying them out straight.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
ERASER5

Quote:
That is incorrect. AC cords, extension or otherwise, will never make a magnet. The hot and neutral cancel the induction. You need a single wire for induction.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
pritch

I know a guy who's shed burned to the ground-the FD determined that it was because he (foolishly) ran romex free air from his house. And then put 2 or 3 wraps around the top of a pole, you know, to take the weight. Apperently, that's where the fire started.

I have several extention cords, but the one's I use most are just 10 or 12 foot long. They can be had fairly reasonably if you just buy bulk cord and put your own ends on. Then you can have the lenght you need.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I have several extention cords, but the one's I use most are just 10 or 12 foot long. They can be had fairly reasonably if you just buy bulk cord and put your own ends on. Then you can have the lenght you need.
Or just run the 50 footer over with the lawnmower and by the time you get is all unwrapped from the mower the only useable pieces left are a 10' and a 12'.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
Gumby

Well that isn’t what I meant, just an example, something about the wire being in a loop causing more resistance, which then put more load on the compressors as the motors didn’t get as much juice as it needed or something, as construction sites have only 1 temp hook up, often by the road and each contractor has to run a mile of cords all from the same source.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
I didnt know anybody sold bulk cord. I'm gonna check my local Homedepot and see what they have. This sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Or just run the 50 footer over with the lawnmower and by the time you get is all unwrapped from the mower the only useable pieces left are a 10' and a 12'.
I have some water hoses that meet the same fate.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
Turkey

Internet myth
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Gumby

Quote:
I didnt know anybody sold bulk cord.
most places will have it, usually with welding cable on a spool, a secret tip used by people into car stereo stuff, welding cable has far beyond normal specs and carries juice like a MO-FO
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
pritch

Quote:
welding cable has far beyond normal specs and carries juice like a MO-FO
That's why my jumper cables are made from it. There's days when I have to jump bulldozers
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
truckdude239

i got a cord thats rooled around an old rim hanging on my shop wall at work and i've never unrolled it and have never had any issuses i use it for work lights and a small battery charger no issuses in 10 years its been there

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Quote:
most places will have it, usually with welding cable on a spool, a secret tip used by people into car stereo stuff, welding cable has far beyond normal specs and carries juice like a MO-FO
Just for clarification, We are talking about bulk cord that has 3 wires already together right? Just need to add the end plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
Internet myth
Quote:
That's why my jumper cables are made from it. There's days when I have to jump bulldozers
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
i got a cord thats rooled around an old rim hanging on my shop wall at work and i've never unrolled it and have never had any issuses i use it for work lights and a small battery charger no issuses in 10 years its been there
Thanks for the heads up y'all. I do appreciate all the feed back.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Gumby

Quote:
Just for clarification, We are talking about bulk cord that has 3 wires already together right? Just need to add the end plugs.
yep, id hit a hardware, farm or general store , but not like walmart or any place new.

for me id goto Andersons to find wire on a roll like that, been around a while place. on the back wall, big spools of all kinds of wires, cables and chain.