The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Drill Bits - What do you recommend?

I am at the end of my rope with Home Depot and Harbor Freight drill bits, they can't make holes worth a darn (in automotive metal). I have those gold ones, and they are terrible. What bits do you recommend, I think I will buy just one bit at a time as I need em, cause I know I don't use 80% of the set(s) I own. Or do I just need to sharpen the ones I got.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Drill Bits - What do you recommend?

Any good cobalt drill should be hard enough to do the trick. If what you have isn't working, sharpening them won't help much.... even if they are better, they will quickly lose their edge again. Dunno about Home Depot but I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight drills.

There's a company called Tough Technology Products that claims to make super hard cobalt drills. Might be worth checking out.... Google TTP drills.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Any good cobalt drill should be hard enough to do the trick. If what you have isn't working, sharpening them won't help much.... even if they are better, they will quickly lose their edge again. Dunno about Home Depot but I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight drills.

There's a company called Tough Technology Products that claims to make super hard cobalt drills. Might be worth checking out.... Google TTP drills.
thank you for the advice, these probably aint it judging by the price, if you read the description is says Cobalt-Coated LOL, they look like a smaller set of what I got

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Pcs-Cobal...item5b09636d88
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Try Grainger.com or McMaster.com. Both carry better drill bits.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I discovered cobalt bits a while back. Nothing else even comes close any more.

Go slow with the drill speed, bits will last longer.

I've also got Drillmaster kit that handles up to 3/4" for sharpening them. Slicker than frog snot on an ice cube
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

x2 on Mc Master Carr. www.mcmaster.com that's all I use for work. It also allows to be able to buy just the sizes I need without having to buy a set filled with sizes I never use.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
sboris

I used the dewalt set with the pilot tips and loved them, till i tried to drill stainless with them. Looking for some new ones myself.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
...Slicker than frog snot on an ice cube...
ROFL, neva herd dat one before
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
68shortwide

Mac tools, Matco, and snap on have all been good to me. Pricey, but quality
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
cableguy0

I have the irwin pilot point set from 1/16 up to 1/2 inch. I also have a similar set from Snap On both sets are covered for life against dulling and breaking. I paid around 125 for each set and I like the irwin set better because of the pilot points. Both cut great though. Cheap drill bits get you nowhere other than frustrated.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
72bowtiestepper

Try a company that sells industrial supplys. Ask for M-42 (cobalt) drills...you can buy individual sizes...no need to buy a whole set with sizes you don't need. The "gold" plating is titanium nitrate....worth the extra money if you are drilling tough material. Definetly stay away from Harbor frieght drills...they are garbage !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
leddzepp

What are you trying to drill that is giving you problems? If you are drilling sheet metal, use a step drill bit.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
What are you trying to drill that is giving you problems? If you are drilling sheet metal, use a step drill bit.
5/16 holes in the frame to mount the LMC Truck dual exhaust hangers for example, I know to drill a small hole then step up the drill bits, but having to use 6 different bits is redonculous

or drill out stripped philips screws in the rocker cover molding strips, simple stuff like that
Old 12-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
cg285

True cobalt drills are intended for stainless and hardened alloy steels where heat is a factor in cutting. Cobalt drills are for severe duty meaning they have thick webs and small gullets. chip clearance will be more of a problem when using cobalt. unless drilling stainless or hardened alloys the cobalt drills are overkill. there is no advantage in drilling mild steel.
from experience if your speeds and feeds are not correct cobalt tends to chip easy.
true cobalt drills with have a designation of m42. most imported cobalt drills are not true cobalt and are most likely found in the box stores.
a GOOD set of HSS drills is all you should need. i would suggest msc, msmaster carr or travers
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
franken

Not much from HF is worth having, particularly things made of good steep, like drill bits.
A name brand of bit from the home store should work. Drill w/ low RPM and shoot some lube in there.
Yes, drilling the same hole multiple times to get to 5/16 shouldn't be needed. Look at the material removed as you drill. Smaller means too fast. In theory, the bit should cut coils of metal off after a bit.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
cableguy0

My Irwin bits with the pilot points will drill straight through a frame with one bit. I don't care if its a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch hole I need one bit cuts right through.The pilot point bits eliminate the need to drill a pilot hole.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
haybale

You can get good quality bits at about any hardware store. Just remember you get what you pay for. Personally I buy HSS (High Speed Steel) with 135 degree point. The most critical thing about drilling metal is the cutting fluid you use. It is there to cool and lube the bit, without proper cutting oil even the best bit will be junk in no time. They get hot and lose their edge and once over heated they are junk. WD-40 is not a cutting oil, 3in1 Oil works ok, but I really like Tap Magic Cutting Oil. Remember to stop and reapply oil if drilling and large or deep hole. Good luck.
haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by haybale View Post
... The most critical thing about drilling metal is the cutting fluid you use. It is there to cool and lube the bit, without proper cutting oil even the best bit will be junk in no time. They get hot and lose their edge and once over heated they are junk. WD-40 is not a cutting oil...
That may have been my problem, I do not use cutting fluid, and when I do it's WD-40 . Thank you for the sound advise
Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Look at the material removed as you drill. Smaller means too fast. In theory, the bit should cut coils of metal off after a bit.
This is the type of advise I come for on this site, you guys don't realize how much I appreciate learning from you all! Thank you so much.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #20
Senorx

Wish I would have read this thread in the morning. I purchased a set of Dewalt Titanium drill bits. Did I just throw away my money?
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
Wish I would have read this thread in the morning. I purchased a set of Dewalt Titanium drill bits. Did I just throw away my money?
Not sure you have to punt just yet, you may want to try using cutting oil any time you use them, someone on here recommended that and pointed out that WD40 is NOT a cutting oil, I do not know what is but we know it's not WD40, lol

Also watch your speed, someone else pointed out to drill slowly to get long strands of metal and not tiny bits that look like your daughters glitter

just trying to help, or return them and buy just one or two bits you know you need for this job that will drill through the safe door at Fort Knox
Old 12-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
Senorx

I had to drill some stubborn bolts out of my K5 hatch. The first few went great. The third snapped my bit. I'll use your suggestions on speed and pressure. Gonna probably splurge and by some carbide HSS bits and have on hold till these give out. I purchased the Dewalt ones with a XMAS gift card.

On another note, what drill would you use for the job I described above. I have a Dewalt Hamner Drill and a Dewalt Impact Driver Drill.

Last edited by Senorx; 12-27-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #23
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
On another note, what drill would you use for the job I described above. I have a Dewalt Hamner Drill and a Dewalt Impact Driver Drill.
I am no expert, just trying to help, and like many I had to drill out some broken bolts in the past.

I may be wrong on my sizes, but I think you may want a 1/2 inch drill cause they spin at slower RPMs then their 3/8 ths counterparts, donno which bolts you are going after but if possible shoot some PB Blaster (pronounced "your best friend") on them and let them soak over night

also I like to drill a pilot hole with a much smaller drill bit in the bolt first if at all possible, then you can use a special extractor bit, have you seen those, even the cheap ones from AutoZone are good for one use, and if you are like me there is always that one exhaust manifold bolt that breaks, lol so all you need is one bit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vermont-A...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

An old timer suggested I get reverse drill bits, ie ones that drill to the left so there may be a chance where they catch the stubborn bolt and actually unscrew it
Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
slotard

I don't think there are any carbide bits intended for hand drills. Carbide is relatively brittle.

HSS isn't a great material. It was better than what was around when it was introduced, but Cobalt bits are significantly better.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
Senorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
I don't think there are any carbide bits intended for hand drills. Carbide is relatively brittle.

HSS isn't a great material. It was better than what was around when it was introduced, but Cobalt bits are significantly better.
Don't know why I posted Carbide, I meant Cobalt.