The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
b2948kevin

Project: 1966 Stepside LWB

I've been a long time lurker on this forum, but this is one of my first posts here. I finally took the plunge and bought myself my ideal project. It's a 66 Stepside Longbox that I hauled from Spokane WA to Bellevue Wa where I live. I have wanted one of these since I was a teenager, but only recently got brave enough to pull the trigger. I picked this orange fella up for $740. Let me know if I did alright.

Anyway, I am no stranger to turning wrenches, but most of my experience is in Diesels and motorcycles. This is my first big venture into restoring something like this. I hope to learn a lot and use the advice that I get here in bringing this beast back to life.
Attached Images

b2948kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
b2948kevin

Re: Project: 1966 Stepside LWB

Here is a pic of me bringing him home on 6-11-11. I stopped at nearly every rest stop on the 4 hour drive from Spokane to Bellevue to check the straps and make sure everything was secure. I hit some wind through the valleys that blew me around a bit, but it was overall uneventful.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
b2948kevin

When I bought him, he didn't run. The PO poured some fuel into the carb to show me that it would run, but that there was most likely a fuel issue somewhere. He was right. I did a carb cleaning, fuel pump replacement and fuel tank screen cleaning and he started right up. It doesn't run well, but it was enough to get up in the driveway.

Here are the pics after I got him up into the driveway. I could really survey what I had at this point. Not bad!

This is on 4-22-11.

I feel that pictures really make a good build thread, so I will do what I can to post lots of good pics up here.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
b2948kevin

On 6-25-11 I got out to start the tear down. Took the retrofitted bucket seats out and found out that they are rare Pontiac seats from a 66 or so GTO or similar. They have the headrests and the reclining option which makes them pretty rare. I am hoping to sell them and recoupe some of the cost of buying the truck. I will put an original bench seat in later.

Anyway, I found more rust than I previously thought (I am not the first one to say this ). The interior is pretty ugly, so I ordered the panels that I need to fix this. I am a mediocre welder, but I think that it will have more sentimental value if I do some of the tough jobs by myself.

My goal is to get the interior workable, stop the rust from progressing, and then work on the patina paint, body work and engine in the next phase.

BTW, the engine is a 230 straight 6 which is the right engine, but not the original block to my truck (so I am told). It has the granny 4 speed tranny. The engine is blowing a good amount of exhaust out of the valve cover, so I am thinking if I have to pull the engine, I may just put a 350 in it.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
b2948kevin

On 6-27-11 I got started pulling the rockers. I also pulled the gas tank and ordered some POR-15 gas tank coating. There is a lot of rust in this tank, so I will have to address is sooner or later. It should be here after the holiday.

The rockers were tough to cut out. I bought a spot weld cutting bit from Harbor Freight. This tool works wonders, but they wear out after about 6 or 8 cuts, so make sure to get 3 or 4 of them. The spot welds were hard for me to see, so it was a little frustrating, but I finally got them all cut and the rocker peeled away. You can see that I have my work cut out for me.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
b2948kevin

Yesterday and today, while waiting on my panels to arrive, I spent a bunch of hours sanding the interior of my cab, prepping, priming, masking, and paining. I decided that I want to get the rocker panels taken care of, then be able to put the tank and seat back in and then not have to worry about those areas for a while.

I started with the tank. I had a couple of interior colors picked out, including one that is really close to the original color. I had my wife come out to make the call and she picked the Light Drift Sand Metalic which is the closest color to the original that I could find locally.

I had called up a paint shop the day before with the correct color code to ask them if I could get some mixed up. They quoted me $70 per pint + $12 each to put this in cans for me (about 5 cans to the pint I am told). I said no thanks and headed to the auto parts store. At $6 per can for the Light Drift Sand, I will be way ahead.

Since I am still working on the floors, I am only doing the areas where I will not be disturbing. A wire brush worked wonders to show me the true extent of the rust damage, so I stayed away from those areas. I painted the rear of the cab, the roof, and most of the front window pillars. I will do the dash and the remainder when I get the rest of the metal work done.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
stv956

you got that right , mine is a little diferent , i got a silver grey hammered from rustoleum , but is pretty good
stv956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
SulphuriousSam

Nice looking truck and it looks like you've already made a good start! Good luck with your project, I agree with you that doing it yourself puts more meaning into the possession of the finished product too.
Posted via Mobile Device

1966 C10 LWB, 283, 3 on the tree (lots of work to do!) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471348
2001 Suburban daily driver
2008 HHR (wife's ride)
SulphuriousSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
b2948kevin

Ok, I got really motivated this morning and started cutting the cancer out. I didn't plan to cut the pillars, but the more I thought about it and discovered, the more I realized that I needed to bite the bullet and just do it. I will need some additional panels, so this will turn into a multi-weekend project.

I'll tell you, this is not motivating me to do the right side. I think I may have gotten a little bit of heat exhaustion during the 8 hours I spent cutting and fitting today. I feel like this is within my abilities, but it's sure frustrating.

So far, this is what I have done:

cut the outer rocker out
cut the inner rocker out
cut the front pillar
cut the rear lower door pillar
cut the rear cab corner out
cut the bottom of the front kick panel out
cut the rear cab support out
cut the outer cab floor out

Fitted the new rear cab support
fitted the new front pillar
fitted new extended outer cab floor

I will have to order a rear cab corner, rear lower door pillar, and footwell.

One note to anyone doing this same task - If you get the extended outer cab floor, you don't need the inner rocker as well. It's all inclusive.

I don't even want to think about getting the doors right... As you can see in the pictures, the PO really had his way with them. Maybe I will send them out to someone who really knows what they are doing.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
b2948kevin

I got motivated again and tacked everything up. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
b2948kevin

I am thinking I may need to shim the rocker out just a bit to align it with the door. Anyone have experience with this?
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
b2948kevin

Got motivated again today and started to clean up some of the paint. I took a scrub brush from the kitchen and got all the moss and crap off of it only to find that there's a bunch of tree sap on there also! I tried a couple of solvents, but it's so old and solid that the best thing I could find is a 90 degree edge on the back of a marker that I had laying around. It's a slow process to bust every little dripping of sap off, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

After I got the moss and sap off, it was looking tons better, but I took some 1000 grit sandpaper to it anyway and wet sanded an area on the hood. It lightened the area up considerably and the dark underneath is starting to show through some more.

It started raining as soon as I thought about grabbing the camera.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
b2948kevin

Still waiting on parts to finish my rocker job. Once the brown truck arrives, I'll get finished with the rocker on the driver's side. Passenger side is next, but I am not looking forward to it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
b2948kevin

I also took the front bumper and grill/headlight assembly off to rework them. I have the bumper sanded down with a filler primer right now and I will paint it flat white. The grill will get the same treatment, it will just take longer. I also primed and painted the front cowl area flat white on flat black (in the back). No pics yet, but I will post them tomorrow. Looks good so far.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
SFTorange

Cool truck! It looks like the original paint is still in pretty good shape. Hang in there and keep plugging away at it.
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
chevyrestoguy

What a neat project. What impresses me the most is the fact that you do not seem to be intimidated at all with the rocker/floor replacement. I'm really anxious to see your continued progress, so please continue to do what you're doing with all the in-progress shots. I love that stuff! It looks like the previous owner sure loved to cut holes, so you'll be doing some patches in the doors.

By the way, the buckets look to be '69 (or later, possibly 70-72) GTO buckets. GM started putting headrests as standard on their seats in 1969. It was an option on some models in '68, though. If it's got the reclining seat back option, you have a rare set of seats, my friend. Those seats should bring a good amount if ever decide to ebay them. It'll knock a big chunk off of the $740 purchase price, which was a steal to begin with.

By the way, how close of a color match is the Duplicolor Light Drift Sand Metallic to the original interior color?

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 07-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
b2948kevin

Thanks guys! Keep the replies coming, I was starting to think nobody was interested in this one...

I plan to have the bumper painted that the grill and headlight assembly in primer by end of day today at least.

I definitely plan to sell the seats. I am hoping I can get a good price for them.

The Light Drift Sand is really close to the original color. It's probably a touch more to the silver side than the original, but I think it looks pretty good. It sure freshens the cab up a lot!

Chevyrestoguy, you're right about the PO and the doors. He really had his way with them. I am thinking I want to hang on to these ones for now because of the matching paint, but if I ever decide to repaint it, I'll ditch them for some nicer ones. Meanwhile, I am thinking about just screwing in a cover over the cutouts.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
b2948kevin

Ok, I finally got the grill and front bumper all painted up. I did a pretty good job in taking my time and using some filler primer to take some of the scratches out.

The factory paint on the grill and bumpers is really tough stuff. I couldn't hardly get it off with a wire wheel!

Anyway, here are some progress shots of how it looks mostly put back together. I really think the flat white looks slick. I found that some of the plastic holders on the headlight adjustment screws were broken, so I will wait to get those ordered and in before I get the headlights put back in.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
b2948kevin

I pulled my rear bumper off today. It's pretty nasty down there.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
b2948kevin

This is the next project. Here are some pics of my paint booth
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
b2948kevin

Ok, I got my bumper painted up. It's a touch crooked, but I'll fix it sometime in the future.

I need to get the CHEVROLET repainted on there. Should I tape it and spray it, or should I order some 1 shot sign paint and brush it on there?
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #22
b2948kevin

Oh, also, I replaced all of the bumper hardware. LMCTruck.com wanted to charge me ~$50 for the whole set of front and back hardware. I went to Home Depot and picked up carriage bolts that were the same size. They look great and fit well. Best part is that they cost me about $10 total.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #23
b2948kevin

I spent some more time working the sap off of the paint and sanding it down. The hood isn't quite done yet, but it's looking better.

I stepped down from 1000 grit to 1500 grit for fear that it was too aggressive. I've never done paint work before, so let me know if this was a good idea. Is this still too aggressive? I am planning to finish the whole thing with 2000 grit, some compound on a wheel, and then some wax to seal it all up. Is this a good plan?
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
b2948kevin

I just thought of a couple more things I want to record here.

I sold the Pontiac seats on Saturday to a guy for $450. I am glad to have them out and not cluttering things. This will bring the total purchase price to $290. I am sure I will put it all back into the truck, but it's a good thing.

Also, I didn't take pics, but I used POR 15 in the tank. It has been curing for a week now. I think that will help out a lot in the long run.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #25
b2948kevin

I got the inner footwell and rear cab corner late last week. I finally put the time aside and got the footwell in. I had to pull the rocker and front pillar back off to do it, but everything fit pretty well after that. I have to work on getting the rear cab corner fit up and welded, but I have everything welded up in the front. My goal was to be able to get the door and front fender on without having to take them back off later.

My next steps are to grind and sand the welds down so that they look nice and then use seam sealer to make things look nice. After that, I will get the cab corner taken care of and turn my attention to the motor. I need to get this thing on the road.
Attached Images