The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
closer9

Hurst Competition Plus (installing Saginaw 4-spd) any alternatives?

I'll be swapping out the 3-spd on the column for a Saginaw 4-spd on the floor. I'm needing a Shifter, and the only one I can find is the Hurst Competition Plus. I'm sure this is an excellent choice, but with the install kit I'm looking at $360+ from Summit. Is there a cheaper alternative? This is for a '64 C10 2WD, and going behind a freshly built 283 (replacing the worn out original 283). It won't see daily duty, but will hopefully get some decent time on the road.
closer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Hurst Competition Plus (installing Saginaw 4-spd) any alternatives?

Are you running a bench seat or bucket seats?
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
andyh1956

a buddy of mine got a saginaw out of a monza for his truck. when we removed it he was alarmed that the shifter didn't bolt to the trans like you would think but it was bolted to the floor! he didn't have any budget left for another shifter [insert BROKE here] so what we did was unbolt the shifter from the floor & fab some ugly brackets to hold it behind the trans untill he could afford better [insert WIN LOTTERY here] was a waste of time anyway, that saginaw didn't last long. other than this hit the swap meets- cheap shifters abound!
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

but........... cheap shifters won't work with a bench seat. That is unless you modify the shifter stick.

Putting a 4 speed in a 60-66 moves the shifter back under the front edge of the seat and the shifter stick hits the seat.

Been there....
Attached Images

lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
closer9

I have a bench seat. The 4-spd doesn't have any shifter linkage or brackets with it. I was hoping to find something quick, and get it installed this weekend, but I know that won't happen now. So, I think I'm just going to swap engines, and keep the column shifted 3-spd for now. I may just go ahead and spend the money on the shifter, and look for used pieces or fab my own to mount it.

I'm also thinking more now about going with a late model 5-spd with overdrive. I would assume it would be a direct bolt in, and I would think I could use the late model shifter (parts should be easier to find to). I haven't looked into this, but will...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer9 View Post
I'm also thinking more now about going with a late model 5-spd with overdrive. I would assume it would be a direct bolt in
It's not quite a bolt-in, but close.
Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the t5, but were afraid to ask....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...31#post3066131

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
closer9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
It's not quite a bolt-in, but close.
Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the t5, but were afraid to ask....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...31#post3066131
Thanks for the link. I just got done reading through it. Found it over in the drivetrain section. I'm really tempted to do this now. Kinda thinking about the F-body T5 and fabbing up my own handle...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
MikeN

I've been told by a guy that I trust that a Hurst for a 55-57 Chevy will work pretty well. Hurst makes a shifter for putting a Saginaw or Muncie into a 55-57, and they all have bench seats. Will be pricey though.

I put a heavy duty Muncie 3-speed into my 64 C10, and Hurst makes a really nice shifter for 67-69 C10's that I was able to get to work with very little trouble. It was a bit pricey, though, just as you describe.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote