The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2022, 02:12 AM   #1
Accelo

Tilt wheel Hazard Switch

I purchased a new Tilt wheel Hazard Switch from Auto-wire. everything went well and it is in and functional. I didn't install the till wheel outer Bezel yet. I wanted to be sure everything worked as this hub is a PITA to remove without the GM special tool. So, everything is installed a working and I go to install the last bezel and expected to be able to remove the hazard switch with a small screw in the end. No screw and I can't see any method to remove the red part of the switch that sticks out past the hub. The bezel can't be installed without removing the end of the switch unless it is inserted into the bezel and both are installed together.
The question is am I missing something? I also need to confirm the OEM switch has the removable stub as my original was either broken or missing.
I have included a picture of the new hazard activation switch and the original switch as a reference.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Tilt wheel Hazard Switch

After I got my truck I replaced my column with a short/tilt column. I started to blow the fuse that took out my cab lights and the brake lights when signaling. What was installed was the black hazard switch that had the flat connector (which needed an adapter to half-moon connector). Which the black hazard switch is removable.

I got one from GMCPauls, which had the red one and no need of an adapter. The red one isn't removable. I even had to get a 3rd one because when pulling the hazard switch it wouldn't turn on the back flashers (only the front).

So, long story short - black switch you can remove, red switch you cannot. I really hope I don't have to deal with this again, it is a real PITA. The second time I even tried to get the "GM special tool" but couldn't find one to buy. I made a mess of the cover, which really bums me out.

There are a few places in the forms where members talk about if the Red Hazard is correct or not for Tilt columns. But places like GMCPauls says "100% correct just like original, with red hazard knob and correct curved steering column to wire harness connector." Regardless, I like the red one (rather it be correct or not).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
Accelo

Thanks for the comments Rich
Got me thinking that maybe the I received the wrong switch?
It would make sense the differences between a tilt and non-tilt would be in the hazard switch area.
I looked up the switches for the 72 at AutoWire site.
Three were listed an none were differentiated as tilt and non-tilt. All cost the same, $50.

Only one is similar to the one I removed. It's the one with the aux. wire for the indicator light. All were listed for the 67-72. Which can't be true for all of them?
I pictured them below. Mine is the one on the right.

I also looked into GMC Paul's. He only has two switches, listed for the 72, all at the same price, $50. They were USA made and were separated into tilt and non-tilt.

So I am stuck with two options:
1) Attempting to get the one I have installed using a not stock procedure. And if it doesn't work getting the bezel back off may be a chore.
2) Purchasing a replacement from GMC Paul's.

I have modified the one from Autowire so isn't returnable. I also do not have enough terminals left to adapt a new switch to the Classic update kit.

I will call Autowire on Monday. They actually answer the phone and have been good to deal with in the past. Will let you know what I find out.
Cheers.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

The other big difference between Tilt and Non-Tilt is light for the gear indicator.

1. Non-Tilt is a light traveling "fiber wire" that the light comes from a dash bulb (photo 2 & 3) which is part of the dash's flex circuit board and not the turn switch.
2. Tilt has an actual light bulb and separate power line (your third photo).

When it comes between the flat vs half-moon connectors I think the flat are just newer GM Truck/Car years and they work in our trucks when using an adapter. Which personally I dislike.

Working with the column bezel/cover is simply a PITA with the non-removable red switch. Wished I remembered what I did when I put it all back together but I can't seem to recall my steps.

I do recommend checking for any pinched wires that could short and then when testing the hazards check both front and rear for flashing. My mistake was just checking the fronts.

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-02-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Oh, the 3rd photo looks just like the one I got from GMCPauls. The one that came in my shorten tilt column (that had the short) looked like a combo between photo 2 and 3 - meaning it had the light bulb and a removable (black) hazard knob.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Accelo

Thanks for the feedback.
Everything works now. No guarantees it will after I get the sleeve/bezel on.
It looks like the switch could be inserted into the sleeve/bezel and then installed together and bolted in with the special screws. I don't know for sure yet.

I have installed the combination cargo light and third brake light. It blinks with the hazards, which I like a lot. The cargo light is cool as it looks stock and the red isn't visible unless it is lit up.
I was going to post a short 5 sec. video. However, I noticed short movie are not supported by this site?
Old 01-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #7
Accelo

Thanks for the comments Rich
Got me thinking that maybe the I received the wrong switch?
It would make sense the differences between a tilt and non-tilt would be in the hazard switch area.
I looked up the switches for the 72 at AutoWire.
Three were listed an none were differentiated as tilt and non-tilt. All cost the same, $50.

Only one is similar to the one I removed. It's the one with the aux. wire for the indicator light. All were listed for the 67-72. Which can't be true for all of them?

I also looked into GMC Paul's. He only has two switches, listed for the 72, all at the same price, $50. They were USA made and were separated into tilt and non-tilt.

So I am stuck with two options:
1) Attempting to get the one I have installed using a not stock procedure. And if it doesn't work getting the bezel back off may be a chore.
2) Purchasing a replacement from GMC Paul's.

I have modified the one from Autowire and I doubt it matters as the typical electrical part isn't returnable. I also do not have enough terminals left to adapt a new switch to the Classic update kit.

I will call Autowire on Monday. They actually answer the phone and have been good to deal with in the past. Will let you know what I find out.
Cheers.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-09-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

No, videos aren't supported. You can do YouTube but it only works when using a http link to YouTube and the user is using http to this site.

I am pretty sure I put turn signal switch into place & tested, then loosened it up and then slipped the column bezel/cover over. Then tighten down the Turn signal switch, tested the it again. Then finally taped the column bezel/cover down (using a block of wood over the cover).

This is what was in my shorten tilt column - though I can say 100% if it is the same manufacturer / store it came from.

1972 Turn signal switch, automatic
Turn signal switch, automatic, with tilt, Chevrolet or GMC, black hazard knob, includes yoke DCY69, works for Chevy or GMC trucks, for 1972
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I have installed the combination cargo light and third brake light. It blinks with the hazards, which I like a lot. The cargo light is cool as it looks stock and the red isn't visible unless it is lit up.
I was going to post a short 5 sec. video. However, I noticed short movie are not supported by this site?
I actually installed one of these too - I really like it and happy I installed it. That 3rd brake light can really save you from getting hit from behind IMO.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #10
Accelo

Did it come with the red hazard switch. It was missing on my original.
I see this one is less expensive at $42.12 instead of the typical $50.

One reason I really appreciate Summit is they provide product feedback.
I am typically able to avoid crap products like this if their is enough feedback.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-02-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Did it come with the red hazard switch. It was missing on my original.
I see this one is less expensive at $42.12 instead of the typical $50.
No, it came with a black pull knob that screwed off. One thing to recall I didn't buy that at all, only that is what appeared that came with my shorten tilt column (that I bought from a now banned user on this forum).

Old 01-09-2022, 02:32 AM   #12
Accelo

Follow-up information:
I decided to change out the switch to one built like the OEM. Not an easy job as it was wired and working as designed. I ordered the recommended eBay switch. (Thanks for the recommendation) It was less money and has the removable hazard knob. It arrived in just a few days. So far so good.

I also spoke with American Auto Wire. A human answered the phone, with no wait, a very good start. They are willing to take the switch back even though it has the conversion clips I installed. Amazing!
They also sent me a set of new contacts so I could install the new switch to the dash harness that came with the Custom Wiring Kit I purchased from them.
Arrived in just a few days. (Custom connectors are required, you cut off the stock ones and add theirs). All signs of a great company.

I suspect the first switch I received may fit a column with the key in it. Unsure but it certainly varied from stock.

Tomorrow I will see if it can get it installed. I will have to de-pin the connector which is always a PITA. I am down to the last details of this column rebuild.

I pulled the column apart to powder coat the column. I don't recommend it. Paint it assembled you will save a ton of time and frustration. It takes four special tools to get it apart. Then after coating it is difficult to assemble, and not mess up the paint. The factory manual shows another Kent Moore tool a column holder. If you include the holder would make five tools. I can be stubborn and continue to take on jobs I would be better off to leave to the professionals, like restoring columns. Maybe I will learn someday.
God Speed.

Some pictures;
1) The column with the incorrect switch installed. You can see how the sleeve cannot be installed with the hazard handle protruding.
2) The EBay switch and OEM switch next to each other.
3) He included hazard switch with attachment screw.
4) The replacement American Auto Wire terminals.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-09-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
70shortfleet

If you are looking for a stock replacement switch for the tilt column, this is the one I use! https://www.ebay.com/itm/20091867810...0AAOSwcOZcBseB
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #14
Accelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
If you are looking for a stock replacement switch for the tilt column, this is the one I use! https://www.ebay.com/itm/20091867810...0AAOSwcOZcBseB
You bet, that is the one I used. Comes out of Grant's Pass Oregon. I couldn't find China on the package anywhere. Got me wondering, can it really be made here?

Added a picture of the Kent Moore tool used to pull the bezel/housing from the tilt part of the column. There is a rolled lip the puller grabs. It's jaws are curved so it can get hold of a large area as not to damage the tin. I used a three jaw puller and light taps with a rubber hammer around the base. Easy to mess this part up, without the correct tool, as many will assess to.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Yes, that is the tool - there was one on eBay some time back and I wished I'd had just bought it - dammed the cost. Now my bezel has a big scratch on it where things slipped .... grrr. Didn't help I had to pull the the switch out twice.

Though I am not sure why you weren't able to get the red hazard all installed, once you got the bezel off. I like the red switch, though I am confused why some people call it original (GMC Pauls) and others (on the forum) do not. But I refer to me liking the Red Hazard switch ;-)

Old 01-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #16
Accelo

Though I am not sure why you weren't able to get the red hazard all installed, once you got the bezel off. I

I had no trouble installing the switch. Getting the bezel past the extended red hazard button was the issue.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Though I am not sure why you weren't able to get the red hazard all installed, once you got the bezel off. I

I had no trouble installing the switch. Getting the bezel past the extended red hazard button was the issue.
Well that is what I meant. I 100% understand there is no way to install it with the column's bezel on when using the Red (non-removable) switch. Granted I can't remember exactly how I did it but it did get on there - the key was getting that bezel off first and I think installing them both together.

When I was first doing it, I was all kinds flustered! I am pretty sure my neighbors were wondering WTF is going on in my garage for me to be so pissed off. Then I had to do it a second time because the switch wasn't fully working. If I ever have to pull that column apart again, it will be TOO soon!

Old 01-10-2022, 02:52 AM   #18
Accelo

Rich;
We are on the same page for sure. I believe the only way is to install the bezel and the switch together. I opted for the correct switch which I didn't know existed till the board member update me.
When it's all finished I will be thrilled as I have other things to do but fight aftermarket part's crappy designs.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-10-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #19
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I hear ya mate, GMCPauls (where I got my switch) doesn't let me down often but I believed it's page saying the Red one was correct. But at least it has the half moon connector and not the flat one, I suppose.

Last edited by Rich72C10; 12-04-2023 at 09:19 AM.