The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Ford Assassin

Talking I guess I should post my build thread on my '69 C10 now...

Hey guys, I've owned my '69 C10 for a few months now. I traded a good buddy for it straight acrossed for a 1974 K5 I had. Although my K5 was in alittle better shape, I've always wanted a '67-'72 C10.

After getting it home it was clear that it had some issues (which I was warned about). The biggest one ended up being a flat cam lobe.

After tossing a few ideas around I decided to bite the bullet and swing for an LSx swap. A local wreaking yard had a 5.3 with 37k miles on the clock from a rolled 2004 'Burb for $700 and it included everything (PCM, harness, gas pedal, etc). Later I scored a 4L65e from a wreaked 2004 GTO with 13k from LKQ for $800.

I sent off the harness and PCM to Wait4Me Performance to convert the harness for stand alone operation and edit/tune the PCM for removal of the various smog/emissions stuff and the VATS. They also included a performance 'canned' tune for the PCM. I should have it all back by the middle of the week.

I also sprung for Hedman long tube headers (Torque-Step) intended for a '98-'02 F-Body . I am having to modify the headers with a few dings with a hammer and grinding the frame a bit to make them work.

In the meanwhile I also bought a complete front clip from a '67 C10, Walbro 255 inline fuel pump, Corvette filter/regulator, frame-rail style tranny cooler, '71-'72 power booster, Brothers tubular engine stands, GMC Paul's tranny cross-member, Trans-Adapt LSx motor mount adapters, rear roll pan, front 3" drop springs, Slam RE7 (rear) bags, nitro-drop shocks, ECE adjustable track bar, second row Tahoe leather 60/40 split bench seat, and few other odd and ends.

Today I installed the engine and tranny with the new tubular engine stands and the new tranny cross-member. It all went fairly well, no major snags except the headers (which I expected). A buddy is making some changes to the headers, including cutting off the smog/AIR injection tubes and welding them shut.

Sometime this week I am modifying a rear coolant plug to accept a electric sender for an Auto Meter water temp gauge. I am also drilling and tapping a oil block off plug to accept a manual oil pressure sender.

Among others things, I have to mount the gad pedal, install the electric fuel pump as close to the stock tank as possible, install a return line in the stock pickup, run a return line from the Corvette filter/regulator (after installing it), run a fuel line from the end of stock fuel line to the fuel rail, install/plumb the frame-rail mounted tranny cooler, and of course install the re-worked harness and PCM.

Later I'll swap to the '67 front clip, change the various suspension stuff, and hopefully I'll have the funds to ditch the 'Dukes of Hazzard' rims (AR Vector) in favor of some 20's pieces.

Updates as they follow......

Thanks guys!!

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608

Last edited by Ford Assassin; 08-04-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote