The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
oldchev68

My new 1967 backwoods swb project - opinions??

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I've been on the board, but I've finally got another truck to work on. I found a 67 SWB project that I'm looking to get back on the road. It's a a factory LWB that looks to have been cut down many years ago. I've never had a shortbed, so I'm hoping this one works out.

It looks like a backwoods shortening and lowering job, so I'm looking for your opinions. It doesn't appear to have been cut down like others I've seen here, and the trailing arms have been shortened. I like the height that this is at, but I don't know exactly how they got it there. I'm assuming the springs were cut or heated or something. I would like to redo all of the suspension correctly with drop spindles and lowering springs, but I want to know what you guys think of what I'm starting with before I get too excited.

What are the potential issues with what you guys see here? Thanks for looking and I look forward to your opinions!
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: My new 1967 backwoods swb project - opinions??

Pull whatever parts off it you can salvage and find another truck to build . It 's a basket case . You asked . At the very least you need a new frame and rear suspension .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
72 tigger

I’d agree with grumpy. I would save the overload spring brackets that are at the rear of the frame
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
truckster

It's hacked up pretty badly, and what's there is badly rusted. The proportions don't look right, either, like maybe the bed is too short in front of the rear wheels.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Measure the wheel base and see what you have. It should be 115 inches for a SB. If you can find another LB frame for a reasonable price you could shorten it and do it right. The rest of it doesn't look too bad metal wise. Normal for the rust belt. It would make a good driver.

Just my opinion....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
oldchev68

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
It's hacked up pretty badly, and what's there is badly rusted. The proportions don't look right, either, like maybe the bed is too short in front of the rear wheels.
Thanks for the opinions guys. The pictures look a little weird because they got shrunk to fit the file size requirements. The bed is an original SWB and the frame is actually pretty clean, but it might not look it in the pictures. The bed is rusty, but the rest of the truck is pretty decent - although it isn't pretty! The cut down frame and trailing arms are what I was worried about. I'm not looking for a restoration, just a road worthy truck for around town. Sounds like you guys aren't too keen on the frame job.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchev68 View Post
Thanks for the opinions guys. The pictures look a little weird because they got shrunk to fit the file size requirements. The bed is an original SWB and the frame is actually pretty clean, but it might not look it in the pictures. The bed is rusty, but the rest of the truck is pretty decent - although it isn't pretty! The cut down frame and trailing arms are what I was worried about. I'm not looking for a restoration, just a road worthy truck for around town. Sounds like you guys aren't too keen on the frame job.

Only you can get a closeup of the welds inside and out to know what they really look like. Are there plates on the inside of the frame? Do you see any cracks around the plates on the frame or the plates or welds on the trailing arms? In the end it is going to be your call anyway.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The part I'm hung up on is the cut trailing arms. No call for that when done right. They made extra work for themselves to create a questionable suspension. You may be stuck with fabbing custom tubular trailing arms of altering ones you can buy. Still, shortening the arms affects the suspension characteristics.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: My new 1967 backwoods swb project - opinions??

I'm with Tim. The only thing I see wrong is where he cut it. He had to shorten the arms because of the cut area in the frame is my guess. Why they cut it where they did is anybodies guess. Made a lot more work for them.
I'd look for a new frame.
I bought my SWB frame with front disc brakes, dual exhaust and lowered coils for $800.00.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #10
Overdriven

Take a wire wheel to the welded areas (frame and trailing arms) to clean them up and make sure there’s no cracks and that the welds are good. Measure the wheelbase on both sides, take some other frame measurements to make sure it’s square and correct. If that all checks out put some plates on the inside of the frame and it’s a “good enough for now” setup in my opinion.

If it was my truck, I’d probably look into getting another frame, even a LWB to shorten the right way. If you feel really confident in the current frame, maybe just move the trailing arm crossmember forward so you can use stock length trailing arms.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #11
Onry69CST

Do you know anyone that does fabrication work that can inspect it in person? If it hasn't cracked yet then that's good news, and for scooting around town might be ok. I think it's savable as long as the original welds are decent.
Onry69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #12
my67c20

I say at the least you should redo the connection, even if it means finding another frame or finding someone to cut the rail section out of a wrecked unit and properly splicing them together. Also replace the trailing arms with correct ones, or aftermarket ones designed for the application. No point in cleaning everything up and leaving that nice piece of diamond plate scab in place.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #13
67C10Step

I've looked at this thread a dozen times and thought about it. If I were in your position I would probably be hard shopping for another frame. If it were just the frame cuts those could be re-done to satisfaction but with the trailing arms cut I would be very concerned about all the other things I'd run into trying to make everything right. Looks like the rear of the frame has been notched at the end as well. Too much questionable work for my comfort.

I'd say salvage what you can, scrap the rest and find yourself something you can build with a level of confidence.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
my67c20

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/bar/...009139096.html
https://madison.craigslist.org/bar/d...033582113.html
https://rmn.craigslist.org/pts/d/cha...017325486.html
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/pts...034027779.html

Couple options
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote