The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 AM   #1
Dodge68charger

Power To Manual Brakes?

Just Wondering If Anyones Converted And How Come?

Dont Guys Usually Go From Manual To Power?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Minkota

Re: Power To Manual Brakes?

I would assume it to be because they have a larger Cam and do not produce enough vacuum for power brakes. Only other reason I suspect would be to put the vehicle back to its original setup as it came from the factory.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
88Stanger

Re: Power To Manual Brakes?

Been here and done this, in just about every possible way you can.
Here is what i ran into.
I have a "69 short bed built from the ground up, 5.3LS with a cam, built 4L60E, 3:42 posi. Thats the easy stuff. For the brakes, i started with Power brakes. I converted the fronts and rear to stock type replacement. With the cam i have in the LS, i only get 12" of vacuum at idle which as i found out it is not enough for power disc brakes, need more like 16" of vacuum. So i put on a vacuum canister. Ya, it sorta worked, but still not really well, at least to my liking. So i buy a vacuum pump (expensive little terd). Installed it, and yes it raised the vacuum, but oh damn was it loud and annoying, so off with it. Called and spoke with Wilwood. They suggested i go with non-powered disc brakes, so i buy the wilwood stock brake upgrade kit for our trucks, front and rear with their master and adjustable prop valve. I then drill a new hole in the brake lever arm for the master cylinder rod after doing a day of math calculations based on all the Wilwood specs. Just for a note, all lines are new (twice to make sure they are good, lol). The non-powered brakes work ok, but i can tell you that if i had the Wilwood Big Brake kit and non-powered assist they would be ok, but i was running the much more affordable stock replacement kit. I still did not like it, i want good brakes not just ok and with the damn large cam and such in the LS i cannot run any vacuum assisted power brakes, so one last effort, go with Hydro-Boost. I just completed this the other day and damn, finally i have good solid brakes.
So, learn from others mistakes, knowledge and lessons: (This is my suggestions)
If you run a large cam, install a vacuum gauge. If you are under 14" of Vacuum at idle, switch to disc brakes (stock type are good) and get a Hydro-boost. It is not cheap no lie here, but at the cost of a good non-power assisted big brake kit, it is cheap.
This again is only my lessons and maybe others would have stayed with setup i had with non-assist and Wilwood, but for me, i wanted to know that if my mother was driving it she could stop it and not need to apply a huge pedal effort.
I am not sure this helps, but please do your research and see what others have come up against and see what they did.
If you go with Hydro-Boost, get ahold of CaptainFab on here, he has a bracket for the hydro-boost that is worth purchasing. Great stuff and he is a great guy.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Dodge68charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Been here and done this, in just about every possible way you can.
Here is what i ran into.
I have a "69 short bed built from the ground up, 5.3LS with a cam, built 4L60E, 3:42 posi. Thats the easy stuff. For the brakes, i started with Power brakes. I converted the fronts and rear to stock type replacement. With the cam i have in the LS, i only get 12" of vacuum at idle which as i found out it is not enough for power disc brakes, need more like 16" of vacuum. So i put on a vacuum canister. Ya, it sorta worked, but still not really well, at least to my liking. So i buy a vacuum pump (expensive little terd). Installed it, and yes it raised the vacuum, but oh damn was it loud and annoying, so off with it. Called and spoke with Wilwood. They suggested i go with non-powered disc brakes, so i buy the wilwood stock brake upgrade kit for our trucks, front and rear with their master and adjustable prop valve. I then drill a new hole in the brake lever arm for the master cylinder rod after doing a day of math calculations based on all the Wilwood specs. Just for a note, all lines are new (twice to make sure they are good, lol). The non-powered brakes work ok, but i can tell you that if i had the Wilwood Big Brake kit and non-powered assist they would be ok, but i was running the much more affordable stock replacement kit. I still did not like it, i want good brakes not just ok and with the damn large cam and such in the LS i cannot run any vacuum assisted power brakes, so one last effort, go with Hydro-Boost. I just completed this the other day and damn, finally i have good solid brakes.
So, learn from others mistakes, knowledge and lessons: (This is my suggestions)
If you run a large cam, install a vacuum gauge. If you are under 14" of Vacuum at idle, switch to disc brakes (stock type are good) and get a Hydro-boost. It is not cheap no lie here, but at the cost of a good non-power assisted big brake kit, it is cheap.
This again is only my lessons and maybe others would have stayed with setup i had with non-assist and Wilwood, but for me, i wanted to know that if my mother was driving it she could stop it and not need to apply a huge pedal effort.
I am not sure this helps, but please do your research and see what others have come up against and see what they did.
If you go with Hydro-Boost, get ahold of CaptainFab on here, he has a bracket for the hydro-boost that is worth purchasing. Great stuff and he is a great guy.

Thank You For Taking The Time To Reply.

I Will Look Into The HydroBoost Setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote