The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
dan42

Thoughts on hood insulation

Does anyone have any thoughts on hood inuslation? Most of us probably don't run any (I don't) but I would like to know your thoughts if you do; what you are running how you installed it, how much it cuts back on noise. I am considering installing some on my '67.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
AirSpeed

Re: Thoughts on hood insulation

You might have better luck with some self adhesive stuff like Dynomat, I bet it would make a big difference in reducing engine noise, our hoods transmit a lot of sound, even with new cushions between the braces and hood. I think Dynomat would work better than insulation and you won't have to figure out how to attach it.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you're looking to quieten down underhood noise,you might consider having the inner wheelwells and underside of the hood bedlined.That should last well and cut down a lot of noise and the tinny sound.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Tinkermc

I did dynomat and am very happy I would say bed liner on the tubs would be good money spent.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
SactoJim

Hey there Dan!......how things been?

I did the bottom of mine and think it was a good move.....really quiets down noise from engine, gives a real nice "thud" when you close it, and it also minimizes hood shake (driving down the road and you see the top sheet metal of your hood wiggling around).

I used a single side foil back insulation and attached it using a 3M hood insulation spray glue......sticking real well after 3 years. Also used something called stack tape around the perimeter....it's a foil back very sticky tape used in the HVAC industry.

I did it in 2 pieces with the seam under one of the braces....took some larger sheets of paper and cut a couple templates. Just slid the cut pieces of insulation under the braces which was nice and snug. I also ran an aluminum strap along the hood ridge just to insure the insulation stayed up.

After I got it all up, I didn't like how reflective it was and took a scotchbrite pad and scuffed it all down real well to dull it up......looked better that way to me. I think it ended up looking pretty good and was pretty inexpensive.

- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote