The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Denee007

engine brackets, ac,ps,alt,etc

HI! I hope everyone's day has gotten off to a good start!

I'm kind of shopping for brackets and probably limited by the passenger side head having only one hole? I saw a photo of SolidAxles engine while surfing here, and I like it, but don't know if it would bolt up. I will have Sanden compressor and a gm power steering pump and do I need to say an alt?lol and do I use a long water pump or short?

As much as I would love to have the Billet serpentine setup, I just can't go that, but I'd like to see what ya'll have and any suggestions are always welcomed!
dne'

Last edited by Denee007; 08-09-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: wrong photo
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
solidaxel

Re: engine brackets, ac,ps,alt,etc

Get a hold of Bills Hot Rod shop he has what you need just has to be a short water pump
Bills Brackets he is in Covina California and has ads in Street Rodder.... or google!

He has them for early heads with no holes or with holes in the head, I have one of each !
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Denee007

I knew you'd come through!! ; ) thanks!!! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Get a hold of Bills Hot Rod shop he has what you need just has to be a short water pump
Bills Brackets he is in Covina California and has ads in Street Rodder.... or google!

He has them for early heads with no holes or with holes in the head, I have one of each !
Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
OrrieG

No help here I had to make all mine for frankentruck. Seems like there are a million choices, nice thing about these trucks the engine compartment is wide enough you can lay the alt and a/c comp to the sides to show off the valve covers and intake. I looked hard to find simple ones to use for inspiration. In my opinion a lot of the systems just over power the engine visually or look like a big flat plate bolted to the waterpump and heads. I have about $10 worth of iron and a lot of head scratching in mine. Things I learned are short and long water pump pulleys will not exchange, BB and SB are usually different, and water pump and crank come is sets relating to diameter.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Denee007

Speaking of water pumps, I haven't purchased a water pump yet. The man from the AC place to fit me up with an AC system is waiting for me to make that purchase~ but I'm in no hurry as I don't know exactly what's going upfront to attach it all! The engine I have had a long pump and I have all the pulleys that came with it including the power steering bracket/pump, so I guess from that standpoint, should I persue a long pump? and of course that changes my options~ this is getting crazy! And there is definitly plenty of room under the hood for whatever!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
bretcopsey

Not exactly a budget option, but I have yet to see anyone run something like these:

http://jonesracingproducts.com/

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
quigman

Check out the Zoops products on summits web site. I just got the polished alt and Ac setup for a short pump for $200. I got a chrome power steering bracket from ebay. All worked great. The Zoops stuff is fully adjustable and will work with your heads. I am very happy with them. Sorry no pictures. The setup I used has the AC and the Alt off to the sides of the motor and looks great.
quigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
tmoble

use the long water pump setup. it's much easier to deal with than the short.

the passenger head is only supposed to have one hole in the front. It has 3 in the back, the heads are symmetrical so they fit either side. I'd run the stock or stock type alt and P/S brackets, they're easy to get and trouble free. If you can't find the stock stuff try:

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/index.htm

This guys stuff is pretty much wonderful. I've used a lot of it over the years (decades?) and it always just works.

the factory A/C compressor bracket is cool too. There's a cast version that's really strong, you can run an A-6 compressor on it without all the supporting brackets at the back although if you can run the upper rear bracket it's a Good Thing.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
oletrux

I have Alan Grove brackets.....the A/C (passenger side, high) required drilling and tapping another hole in the head, but no problems with that at all. The were relatively cheap, so I had them powdercoated and they still look great after 27,000 miles.
oletrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
BigDan3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
Speaking of water pumps, I haven't purchased a water pump yet. The man from the AC place to fit me up with an AC system is waiting for me to make that purchase~ but I'm in no hurry as I don't know exactly what's going upfront to attach it all! The engine I have had a long pump and I have all the pulleys that came with it including the power steering bracket/pump, so I guess from that standpoint, should I persue a long pump? and of course that changes my options~ this is getting crazy! And there is definitly plenty of room under the hood for whatever!
The Edelbrock or the Stewart water pumps are great. I have the Stewart in the high flow model and found out the hard way not only does it cool faster but unless you have an aluminum radiator it will blow the tank off from pressure.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
mknittle

Quote:
Small block Chevys are easy. there are lots of combinations that work.
Try sticking a Pontiac 455 GTO motor in a 52 GMC now that's fun.

In your case if you have the room the long pump could be a good way to go.
i like it go to a wrecking yard with my tape measure and note pad and look at a bunch of cars. sometimes it helps seeing how things are routed gives you ideas that may be otherwise overlooked.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Denee007

I've only a second as I'm babysitting my 3 y/o grandaughter I really like this setup! BUt will the apache use the long pump or short pump? I need to know this before ordering ; )

Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
OrrieG

those are shown on a BB. You will need to ask the manufacturer which pump to use.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Denee007

hey Orrie! he said the system will work with either a short or long pump. I just need to know what I need for in my apache. When I decide what pump, I can order the water pump I want to use. I would think the long pump as I have all the pullley's for it. But will the long pump cause clearance issues with the radiator?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Russell Ashley

"Small block Chevys are easy. there are lots of combinations that work."

That is unless you are using the stock front V8 engine mounts in a TF. Then the mounts are in the way of most all after market brackets.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Denee007

HI Russel, I'll be welding in mounts for the mid engine mounts. Just need to know does it matter using the long water pump or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post

That is unless you are using the stock front V8 engine mounts in a TF. Then the mounts are in the way of most all after market brackets.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
tmoble

use the long pump and get the right brackets for it. That pic is big block, not necessarily the same as a small block.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post

I get lots of exercise jumping to conclusions.LOL
I did forget about the horseshoe front mount though I haven't seen one for quite a while.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
Denee007

Long pump, that's all I needed to hear~ now I'm trying to make decision whether to go less expensive or the Billet V-belt! I have a nice looking engine and my truck looks really nice, so why not have a nice looking belt setup, but not the serpentine setup, however, Summit has a completer serpentine setup for about 800.oo.
Time to make dinner~ ; )
Seems like the price of this billet setup is fairly priced for what all one gets. Maybe the company thatI'm buying the AC system from could credit me for the compressor since this system comes with a nice compressor.
http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/pdf/1105.pdf

Last edited by Denee007; 08-10-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
OrrieG

Quote:
But will the long pump cause clearance issues with the radiator?
No, it is only 1" longer than a short one. There is about 8" difference between the 6 cylinder and v-8 radiator mounting point. With 6 the rad mounts to the support. With v-8 there are sheet metal pieces that mount between the rad and rad support. I kept my radiator in the 6 position and got a shroud, never any cooling problems. Also leaves plenty of room for an auxillary elec fan if I ever need one (future towing).
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
Denee007

Orrie, that answers a question that I'vebeen pondering! 1" is all!! why did they bother making it only 1", that threw everything off! and I was worried about "long" vs "short" and radiator interference, but a vast difference when it comes to pulley's, brackets, etc. I think everything I pondered on this issue has been answered, and Now I've learned something once again!
thankfully to the gang here! ; )
dne'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
No, it is only 1" longer than a short one. There is about 8" difference between the 6 cylinder and v-8 radiator mounting point. With 6 the rad mounts to the support. With v-8 there are sheet metal pieces that mount between the rad and rad support. I kept my radiator in the 6 position and got a shroud, never any cooling problems. Also leaves plenty of room for an auxillary elec fan if I ever need one (future towing).
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
Rude Dude

I am running billet specialties both ac and alt brackets havent installed the ac bracket as of yet still polishing the compressor
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote