The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
mburgert

S10 Steering Wheel Install???????????

Alright i have a S10 steering wheel from the early 90's (pictured). I know that these look good and are fairly easy to put on. What kind of kit do i need to get to install it, all i find are kits that are for specific steering wheels such as the ones in LMC. Will these work, or do i need to find something different. Or will the stuff i have pictured work (with the addition of the contact kit). The wheel that was on it was a racing wheel and had no horn button so the previous owner hacked into the wire that goes to the horn relay and installed a toggle switch to make the horn operable. Also what do i need to make the horn work? I am missing the horn contact kit that goes into the calcelling cam (LMC Terms Sorry). So if i get that and install the wheel the horn should work correct? I think that makes sense as long as the wiring is not fudged up elsewhere in the colomn. One more question i will have to have a puller to get that piece off of the calcelling cam correct? or will that work with the S10 steering wheel i have. Thanks Alot
Attached Images

mburgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
82c10
needin' money

Re: S10 Steering Wheel Install???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburgert
Alright i have a S10 steering wheel from the early 90's (pictured). I know that these look good and are fairly easy to put on. What kind of kit do i need to get to install it, all i find are kits that are for specific steering wheels such as the ones in LMC. Will these work, or do i need to find something different. Or will the stuff i have pictured work (with the addition of the contact kit). The wheel that was on it was a racing wheel and had no horn button so the previous owner hacked into the wire that goes to the horn relay and installed a toggle switch to make the horn operable. Also what do i need to make the horn work? I am missing the horn contact kit that goes into the calcelling cam (LMC Terms Sorry). So if i get that and install the wheel the horn should work correct? I think that makes sense as long as the wiring is not fudged up elsewhere in the colomn. One more question i will have to have a puller to get that piece off of the calcelling cam correct? or will that work with the S10 steering wheel i have. Thanks Alot
i believe the tool you are talking about is the lockplate remover
Old 04-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
mburgert

Yea they are available at parts stores for under 20 dollars i just needed to know if i needed it or not based on whether the piece on the column will work for my steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10
i believe the tool you are talking about is the lockplate remover
Old 04-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

There is no lock plate in these columns. All you need is the wheel, and the calcelling cam (from the truck, not the s-10), and the wire that plugged into teh horn button off the S-10. I did a write up on this in the FAQ.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
mburgert

How do i get that thing off of the cancelling cam that is pictured. I assume that i will need to put this back on so i have something to bolt the new wheel to. I take it i dont need the horn contact kit right thats what you said to save if i want to reinstall the factory wheel? I found your FAQ the "slip ring is the "cancelling cam" correct. Do i need the "slipring from the s10 to get the "parts" that you mentioned in your FAQ. Where does the little wire that you hook to the horn button come from? Im guessing its with the "parts" that you mentioned, and where does it go through the slipring. Thanks i know this might be confusing but i appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
There is no lock plate in these columns. All you need is the wheel, and the calcelling cam (from the truck, not the s-10), and the wire that plugged into teh horn button off the S-10. I did a write up on this in the FAQ.

Last edited by mburgert; 05-01-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You need to use a steering wheel puller to remove that pewter piece off your column. That for an aftermarket wheel. You won't need it with your new steering wheel.

The puller will thread into those three threaded bolt holes in the adapter.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
70c10
67-72 Addict!

If you don't have a wheel puller you can make one or rent one for free from your local parts store.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
mburgert

What do i need to pull with it? The Wheel is off the only thing that i need to take off is what the wheel bolts into is that what you use the puller for? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10
If you don't have a wheel puller you can make one or rent one for free from your local parts store.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
mburgert

someone???
Old 05-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
krue
Designated A-hole!

Yeah, you use the puller to pull that little wheel in your third pic (first post). You don't need it anymore.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
mburgert

Still very lost, some say i dont need the puller, some do, but how do i get below what the steering wheel bolts on to so i can fix the horn, and check my other posts on questions that i have with that. Thanks alot

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburgert

Last edited by mburgert; 05-02-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That round metal deal on the steering shaft with the three threaded holes in it must come off. That's for an aftermarket steering wheel. You will not use it with the S10 wheel. You will use a puller to thread into those three holes and remove said piece.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

If you look in your s-10 wheel, there is a piece that looks something like that built into the wheel.
The aftermarket wheel that was on there (Grant GT?) has a generic wheel that bolts to the hub adapter there, and they can make 50 adapters to fit 50 column styles, and the same wheel bolts to each one.
The S-10 wheel only had to fit 3 vehicles (C/K10 - 30, S-10, and mini van) and they all used a variant of the same column that they had ben running since the late 70s/early 80's, therefor, no adapter was needed.
If you bolt the steering wheel back to the adapter, and look at it, it'll look more like the s-10 wheel when you look into the horn hole.
I have found with thoes grant adapters, SOMETIMES you can pull them off by hand. HOWEVER...... after bolting the wheel to the adapter, install the large steering column nut loosely.... say, a couple turns to where the shaft is flush with the nut.... this way, when you start pulling and jerking on that wheel, it won't knock you out when it flys off and smashes your head, and then your head slams into the back glas.

Don't ask me how I aquire that tid bit of info.... just be glad I am able to warn you so you don't do it.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
mburgert

Hey thanks Longhorn, I'll try that when i get home!!! The wheel isnt a grant its some cheapy racing wheel, but it might work. Im sure i will have some questions with the horn in the near future though. Thanks again
Old 06-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #15
mburgert

Longhorn or whomever can answer this, does the s10 steering wheel just use one bolt to be attached to the steering shaft? Also does it matter which one of the holes that trucks cancelling cam "tube" goes through on the s10 steering wheel? And i wont need the spring im guessing that was on the colomn around the steering shaft below the canceling cam. The Spring thats about 1 inch in diameter? Thanks

Last edited by mburgert; 06-06-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
mburgert

anyone
Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
TugOwar

When you slip your S10 wheel down over the splines on the steering shaft there will be only one hole that is big enough and lines up with the "tube" on the the canceling cam. This hole does not have threads in it.

When I got my 68 it also had a crappy racing wheel on it, one of the first things I trashed. It did not have the spring that you are refering to. So when I put the 92 mini van wheel on mine I didn't include any type of spring.

Just line up the horn button on the cam, slip the wheel down onto the splines, thread the lrage nut on the threads of the terring shaft and snug it down. Your S10 wheel is now installed.

Give me 10 minutes to eat my delicios Whataburger evening meal and I'll explian how I did the horn on my truck.

Tug - sick of fast food.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

the spring is not supposed to be on these colimns, that is for the ignition switch columns. It's what pushes the lock plate up against the snap ring.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
TugOwar

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way.

Look at the pic below, its pretty much self explanitory.

Where the arrow is pointing I clipped the eye of the end. Slipped it down over the horn post of the cancel cam. Then reached in with needel nose pliers and squeezed it closed enough to grip the horn post. Not enough to bend or break anything, just enough. Its work perfectly like that but it ain't perty, I'm sure some one here has a better way but thats my shade tree method.

Hope you like the new steering wheel.
Attached Images

TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #20
Longhorn Man

I listed a pretty good way in the FAQ... I have done it your way too, and it worked fine though.