The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
HotRod434

Need help selecting mufflers

Over the weekend i added a set of Summit full length headers with 1 3/4 primaries on my '86 C20 which has the factory 454 in it. Wasnt too happy with how the exhaust was run and the old mufflers under it didnt sound too good So i cut all out, The ole 454 is all stock so im gonna have some new true duals run under it in 2 1/2" pipe and been looking around at mufflers. I did some searching and all ive found was threads on small blocks or mild built big blocks. Im not looking for a loud obnoxious muffler, prefer something quiet with maybe a little roar without hurting flow and performance. So what would you guys recommend?
HotRod434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Need help selecting mufflers

MAGNAFLOW!! Best of both worlds!! Low tone and better flow than Flowmaster. If you rev them up, they do get attention!!

I run dual 14" Magnaflow mufflers, no cats and X pipe.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

Magma flow if you don't mind paying for a name and a glass pack.

Spintech is the only people I know that can build a quiet muffler and outflow everybody. Me and my friends use them exclusively
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
cory d

turbo mufflers our brhind the rear wheels shouldnt be too loud

helpful link. i went with summit welded mufflers. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263014
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

My stock 454 with 2.50 pipes out the rear, stock manifolds, and Magnaflow oval mufflers. Sounds good at idle, quiet cab at cruising speed, good sound if you get into it.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
bigd65

I'm gonna second the MAGNAFLOW, I loved it on my 85 and thinking about them on this 87
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
INSIDIOUS '86

Tell me how what your drone is like guys?

Another thing to consider about mufflers is drone. Turbo mufflers and flowmasters are about the worst at this
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
cory d

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post

flowmasters and flowmasters with cats are about the worst at this
Posted via Mobile Device
fix'd

i had drone when i had my muffler dumped under the cab but now that they exit before the rear wheel i dont have any unless i really bog it down. then you feel like you are about to go def. the "deep" or "low rumble" sound never appealed to me, its hard on the ears and engines dont make that sound anyways
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
76Charlie

Purple hornies bolted right to the headers...by the way I was going to do the same thing to my truck, how did the headers end up fitting?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Just another followup........

Stock 307 in my 50 with Thrush glasspacks, 2" pipes out the rear, no drone, no noise, very enjoyable drive, but they sound really good at idle.

383 stroker in my S-10, 2.50 pipes out the rear, Flowmasters (50 series), loud idle, slight drone at 70 mph. I had the Magnaflows on this truck and the drone was horrible. The Flowmasters are too loud at idle for 630 AM start ups, I like my neighbors, so I'm going to swap them out for something else.

As I said in my other post, stock 454 in my C-10, 2.50 pipes out the rear, Magnaflows (from the S-10) no drone at all, very quiet enjoyable ride, awesome sound at idle.

What "drones" on one truck may not do so on another.

Good luck figuring out mufflers. LOL.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
HotRod434

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Charlie View Post
Purple hornies bolted right to the headers...by the way I was going to do the same thing to my truck, how did the headers end up fitting?
They fit better then any set of headers ive ever installed. Slid right up into place, the only thing i had to modify was the AC bracket and it only consisted of a slight trim.

I do plan on running my exhaust all the way out the back, turned down behind the back tires. This is the first time ive ever heard of "Spintech's", what series do you run? Also for you guys hollering Magnaflows, ive got some things im gonna order from Summit tomorrow so whats the part # on the ones you recommend?.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
andrewmp6

Get on youtube and search spintech mufflers you will find some clips.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Redcap

I'm running Super 44s behind the 454 on my K20, 2.5" from header to muffs and 3" from muffs out. Drone is minimal around 65mph and goes away by 70.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
76Charlie

I'll tell ya what, if you want quiet, you don't want dumps, pipe has to clear the body of the truck. Currently have a big block with 2 ft of pipe and 12" glasspacks dumped right under the cab, HAD a worn out 350 with glassers dumped right at the back axle, believe it or not, they are about the same as far as loudness goes (of course the bbc is louder but not by much). Dumped glasspacks take away the pop and crackle and leave you with a more open header ground pounding sound with throaty deceleration roar. Hard to describe unless you had them
Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Edahall

For a quiet exhaust with a little exhaust rumble, here's what I do.

Thrush Glasspacks (to remove the high frequency noise) followed by a baffle muffler such as a Flowmaster 40 or a generic brand (to remove the low frequency noise).

Here's a photo to describe what I wrote except you would have duals.

-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

I run 1 3/4 headers on my 79 454 (now a 502) with a dual 3" exhaust and a set of Pypes Street Pro mufflers.

I also run the Pypes Race Pro Mufflers on my 72 blazer with a 6.0 swap and my 71 ventura sprint.

Been a fan of their stuff for a few years. Makes enough noise under throttle but very docile at idle and cruise,,,absolutely no drone at any speed.

There stuff is all stainless welded case mufflers,,,and much cheaper on price than other mufflers out there. Magnaflow is a nice muffler (run them on the camaro), doesn't flow any better than Pypes and is twice the price though.

You can grab a pair of stainless Pypes mufflers for about $50 a piece vs $75 and up for the other brands,,,,and some of them aren't stainless.

If you haven't bought anything yet and you want to PM me your email, I'll shoot you a sound clip.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod434 View Post
They fit better then any set of headers ive ever installed. Slid right up into place, the only thing i had to modify was the AC bracket and it only consisted of a slight trim.

I do plan on running my exhaust all the way out the back, turned down behind the back tires. This is the first time ive ever heard of "Spintech's", what series do you run? Also for you guys hollering Magnaflows, ive got some things im gonna order from Summit tomorrow so whats the part # on the ones you recommend?.
I got the 6000 pro streeters in mine.

Also fact not fiction. Every muffler drones. Dronemaster super 40s and any series flowbastard do this rather horribly at mid-higher rpm
Magma flow drone at higher upper rpm which is where you don't drive often but will drone at lower rpm with smaller tube exhaust.
Turbo mufflers are quiet and drone badly but there is about 100 designs so they are all different and the drone is interpreted as just the sound.
Spintechs drone at low rpm with large pipes with tailpipes just above idle. And goes away sharply.

Don't dump your muffler tips under the bed or dump them period. You only lose 10 ftlbs of torque with tailpipes at 4500rpm-up with 2.5 pipe. With pipes exiting by the rear wheels this is highly negligible loss since there are less bends

Basicly in terms of mufflers the only way you get quieter is with a way bigger muffler. And sound goes with flow just stay away from summit mufflers, turbomufflers, and flowbastards and glaspacks.

Thrush welded series on a 2.5 xpipe with headers is pretty quiet. Like a usuall muscle car
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Pyrotechnic

Quote:

Another thing to consider about mufflers is drone. Turbo mufflers and flowmasters are about the worst at this
Posted via Mobile Device
What drone? I run Flowmasters there's no noticeable drone.

I know where you are coming from though. I've ridden in vehicles that had Flowmaster original 40's basically as close to the headers as humanly possible and dumped. Those things droned no matter what the engine speed. Couldn't even hear what the driver was saying.

On the other hand, I run a pair of 50 series Delta Flow mufflers on my truck behind a pretty wild motor. I run headers, an H pipe, and brought the tail pipes out to the bumper.

Bottom line, there is no drone or annoying quality about the exhaust. The 50 Series Delta Flow were designed to give the Flowmaster rumble while cutting the drone out of it. The H pipe helps with sound cancellation and tames down the tone. Can't stress the H pipe enough on a dual setup as far as killing drone and taming the sound.

Bottom line, if you have a wild motor, headers, and aren't running catalytic converters, stay away from the 40 series. Go with a 50 series or larger and make sure it's a delta flow model.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Firebirdjones

I think drone comes from many factors. Not all mufflers will drone. I have a few cars here that drone, and others that don't.

I prefer to run H or X pipes in my systems to tame the sound down a bit and the added power they provide, and that could have some affect on droning. I experience zero droning with the Pypes mufflers on both 2 1/2 and 3" systems, One X pipe and the other 2 have H pipes.

Could be the hangers used transmitting too much sound or vibration throughout the car, where the tailpipes exit, size of pipe, where the mufflers are placed etc....
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
HotRod434

I should of been more pacific when i mentioned "turned down behind the back tires", this is what i meant.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
Firebirdjones

Love the gold and white. Don't let my wife see that or I'll be painting our truck
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Took some 2 chamber flow masters off of my 77 with a nasty 400sbc. Because it was just too loud.
gave to a friend with a stock 454 it was nice and mellow.

The engine makes the biggest difference in the sound. That being said i have 70 series on my 73 and it does not piss off the neighbors. A magna flow on crewcab stock 454 and sounds nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Took some 2 chamber flow masters off of my 77 with a nasty 400sbc. Because it was just too loud.
gave to a friend with a stock 454 it was nice and mellow.

The engine makes the biggest difference in the sound. That being said i have 70 series on my 73 and it does not piss off the neighbors. A magna flow on crewcab stock 454 and sounds nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha neighbors are funny when it comes to exhaust. A mailbox full of Tampax and pamprin fixes thier moods
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
76Charlie

Quote:
I got the 6000 pro streeters in mine.

Also fact not fiction. Every muffler drones. Dronemaster super 40s and any series flowbastard do this rather horribly at mid-higher rpm
Magma flow drone at higher upper rpm which is where you don't drive often but will drone at lower rpm with smaller tube exhaust.
Turbo mufflers are quiet and drone badly but there is about 100 designs so they are all different and the drone is interpreted as just the sound.
Spintechs drone at low rpm with large pipes with tailpipes just above idle. And goes away sharply.

Don't dump your muffler tips under the bed or dump them period. You only lose 10 ftlbs of torque with tailpipes at 4500rpm-up with 2.5 pipe. With pipes exiting by the rear wheels this is highly negligible loss since there are less bends

Basicly in terms of mufflers the only way you get quieter is with a way bigger muffler. And sound goes with flow just stay away from summit mufflers, turbomufflers, and flowbastards and glaspacks.

Thrush welded series on a 2.5 xpipe with headers is pretty quiet. Like a usuall muscle car
Posted via Mobile Device
As long as your pipe flows enough air and you tune your engine to your exhaust there should be a negligible amount of difference in the power. But yes all aftermarket muffler drone!!! 100%
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
C30trailerspecial

Im considering offset hooker aerochambers with a twin 2 1/2 full length exhast in a 350 C-30

whatta you guys think?
C30trailerspecial is offline   Reply With Quote