The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Devs47Chevy

My first 47 Thriftmaster!

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum and I am brand new to the world of old chevy pickups. I have a few cj7's and a 70 plymouth duster 340 but nothing this old!

Here's a little background of the trucks:
My girlfriend sent me a picture from California when she was out there for her clinical for college of an old truck she really likes. That weekend I showed it to my old man who just laughed and said "A buddy of mine just offered me 2 of those but I don't want them! Go tell him you do!"

So off to Tommy's house I went and sure enough there they were! We talked for a bit and he said "Well Devin whenever you want them they are yours to take!" I was ecstatic!

Name:  47 pickup.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  47 pickup 2.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  61.4 KB

The first one has a 9 foot bed and was driven in there. Just needs a battery and will run and drive. No dents or rot. The seat isnt even ripped!! That's the one I'll be using. Has a few broken windows

The second one is a 5 window truck that has some dents in the bed and is missing the interior with some broken windows. Other then that its all there. I'll probably be selling this one!

So now that there's a little background here are my questoins/thoughts/ and what im gonna do with it:

The 3.5 straight six 216 ci engine still runs and drives. I want to make it reliable for Lisa to just get in and drive it so I'll probably throw a tbi 350/700r4 in it. But does that standard trans in it back then still use the same bell housing pattern as the gen 1 small blocks if I keep it standard?

She really doesn't like the long bed so I'm gonna shorten the bed and frame from 9 feet to about 5 or 6.

How is the braking/steering systems on these old trucks? If I just rebuild the brakes will they be okay? I have a set of 10/12 bolt axles I can throw under it too as an option to have front discs of need be. Or is there a cheapish DIY front disc conversion for that truck? The steering seemed pretty easy to turn with whatever ratio is in the box so that will probably stay.

I know I know I'm sorry that I'm cutting up a pretty much perfect old pickup to make a hotrod-ish rig out of but its what she wants and I have 0 money into them.

Thanks in advance!!
Devs47Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: My first 47 Thriftmaster!

Welcome
Nice score! There is plenty of chassis/engine etc stuff for these trucks. You can spend a little or spend alot, just have to figure out what works for your budget and driving style. Search all of the threads and read them. they are full of great information.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
mr48chev

It looks like you have enough pieces to go a long ways towards making a nice truck.

The green one looks to be an 8 lug 3/4 ton.

In answer to your question. The truck transmission should bolt up to a V8 bellhousing. The six cylinder bellhousing is completely different than a V8 bellhousing though.
My 48 had a Chevy II 194 six bolted to a mid 50's V8 truck bellhousing and used the stock 48 transmission and rear axle when I bought it in 1973.

It looks like you hit the jackpot on NE USA AD truck project trucks though.

As for modifying the truck it's better to start with a nice solid base like it looks like you have rather than try to build one out of a hulk. As long as you aren't cutting it up to make a bushwacker out of it or taking it apart to sell the parts one at a time on Ebay not too many of us will complain. Your ideas are pretty sound and you should have a nice truck when you are done. Keep us posted.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Devs47Chevy

Both of the trucks are the 8 lugs and thanks!! So if I didnt use an auto trans that 4spd?? will bolt right to the chevy 350 if I read that correctly?

Also about the brakes? You guys drive em on the road fine with the factory braking system?

Because if that is alright Ill just keep the factory axles under it! What is the rear end? Its not a 14 bolt is it? They use those back then still?

Also that greenish truck in the second picture. How much would something like that be worth if I was to sell it to fund the first truck?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
OrrieG

Nice trucks to start with. They are yours so you can do what you want.

BUT....please convey to your SO the rarity of the 9 foot bed. I personally think they are cool and different, especially if you lower them a little. Even with the "extra length" a 9' AD truck is still shorter than most modern pickups. Take it to show or cruise and it will be the star, standing out from the other 20 short beds. You might look at finding someone with a short bed frame and bed, or even complete truck, that you could swap with too.

Along with the engine and trans upgrade the brakes (disc conversion kits are available for the stock front axle) and add power steering. On my build my primary focus has been on making it easily drivable for me in my approaching old age and so my wife can drive it (one of her complaints).

Good luck, I look forward to watching which ever direction you take.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Devs47Chevy

That is a good point about the length! I'll try to stress that to her again. I also want to leave the paint alone. I love that old truck look. I had said we're just gonna leave the bed the same length to begin with but she wouldnt have it haha. Shes worried about driving it that long. But we'll see. Ill get the motor in it running again and have her drive it around and see if she can stand it.

Where is a good place to find the disc conversion kits? Also I only looked quick and I dont remember, is the master cylinder on the firewall? or under the cab?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
coralhead

If they are both 3/4 tons (the 9' is probably a 1 ton) the stock rear ends are geared pretty low and the 1 ton may be even lower.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
BlueJeep

The 9' bed one is a 3800 (1 ton) and will have 5.13 gears in it. It's not a 14 bolt, it's the Eaton rear axle that pre-dated the 14 bolt. The other truck is a 3600 (3/4 ton) and has the same rear axle, but with 4.56 gears in it. People that keep these axles typically swap out the 3rd member with a 67-72 Eaton rear axle that had 4.10 gears.

As far as driveability for your wife, don't have high expectations for any of the stock parts (brakes, steering, etc.). It won't be a truck she drives to the ice cream shop on a Sunday afternoon unless she's really into the workout it will take to drive it. There was a guy on the Stovebolt forum who was trying to figure out a way to get disc brakes on the 1 ton front axle, but the last time I checked he hadn't made it work yet. There is no kit for that one.

My build thread in my signature details what I've done with my 3800 to date. It's not a quick conversion, but it is one that will be easy for my wife to drive when done.

When I brought it home:

The following summer, when I was driving it:

And I second not cutting the 9' bed, if it's in good shape somebody out there will pay good money for it.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Devs47Chevy

So if the front is a regular leaf setup as well.. has anyone heard of people just swapping some 10 bolt axles underneith these rigs? Then you have modern brakes all around. Might have to throw a newer master cylinder/booster in there.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Devs47Chevy

Okay guys i have a couple more questions. I threw a battery in the 47 and it fired right up with an external gas tank plummed in to get it running. I drove that one 2 miles home. So instead of cutting that one up I think im going to sell it.

Now that means I'll be doing the green one for my girlfriend. The rear fenders on that are toast tho. I found a 1978 chevy bed thats in good shape for $300. Will that work? I know the rear fenders look a little different and I dont mind that.. what Im more worried about is the running boards lining up. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
mr48chev

I've seen a few of them boogered together with later beds an even with Ford F100 beds out of the 50's and they always just flat look wrong.

How about doing something like this:

He cut the bed at the second post and shortened it that much and then most likely set the whole thing on another chassis. You wouldn't have to lower it that much or cut the fenders but I'd just cut the long bed down to the length that I wanted and either move the front panel back or move the front posts back and spot weld them back on. If you put it on an S-10 chassis you could fit the bed length to the chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Devs47Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've seen a few of them boogered together with later beds an even with Ford F100 beds out of the 50's and they always just flat look wrong. It may be the cheap quick way out but in the end it will always look wrong and be wrong and I would highly suggest putting a stock style bed and fenders on it. If you have to use the bed off the other truck do so if it's in good shape and just ask a bit less for that truck when you put it up for sale.
Maybe I wasnt quite clear above, if so my mistake. The 47 which I may sell is mint. That has good fenders and everything. I drove it home. So that one wont be touched.

The one I'm going to build has a good bed! The fenders are all just banged to hell may be past saving. But since I have it all there it may just be worth spending the money on the fenders. Especially if I can sell the other truck.

How much will that truck go for? Its a 1947 3800 9 foot bed. 90,000 original miles from montana. No rot anywhere just surface rust. Complete running driving truck. Seat isnt even ripped. Needs paint, a couple windows and a headliner.

Im not sure why it uploaded upside down but I guess bear with me lol. The loud crash is a latter falling over behind the truck.

If that doesnt work heres the link.

http://s833.photobucket.com/user/whi...4_987.mp4.html

Last edited by Devs47Chevy; 06-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Devs47Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've seen a few of them boogered together with later beds an even with Ford F100 beds out of the 50's and they always just flat look wrong.

How about doing something like this:

He cut the bed at the second post and shortened it that much and then most likely set the whole thing on another chassis. You wouldn't have to lower it that much or cut the fenders but I'd just cut the long bed down to the length that I wanted and either move the front panel back or move the front posts back and spot weld them back on. If you put it on an S-10 chassis you could fit the bed length to the chassis.
This is exactly what I was going to do with the green truck. I am going to shorten it a little and am thinking about putting it on the 1990 chevy 1500 frame I have with the complete running gear.

The front frame being so skinny im just worried about the wider frame of the 1500 almost being in the wheel wells. In this picture bellow the frame is very skinny and if it was any wider looks like it will be under the front fenders.

Name:  47ctsm0102.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  110.3 KB
Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
_Ogre

i was reading your first post from last yr and thinking i'd use the green 5 window for a build and drive the white one while building the green one
it is rare that you can blend the 78 bed successfully without it looking like an after thought
pull the body off the 5 window, modify the frame by updating the suspension, motor and brakes
you can probably hammer the fenders and running boards straight and save the paint

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
_Ogre

google clr wash, i think your truck is perfect for the treatment

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Devs47Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i was reading your first post from last yr and thinking i'd use the green 5 window for a build and drive the white one while building the green one
it is rare that you can blend the 78 bed successfully without it looking like an after thought
pull the body off the 5 window, modify the frame by updating the suspension, motor and brakes
you can probably hammer the fenders and running boards straight and save the paint
Id love to use the current paint but this one is for my g/f and the ONE thing she really wants is a nice shiney paint job :/ haha so theres goes the original paint look! If I can fit the tbi 350 in that frame alright I'll probably just end up using it with a new set of axles under it so its modern brakes etc. Then get new glass, fix the bed, some paint and call it good.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Devs47Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
google clr wash, i think your truck is perfect for the treatment

This is the one I'll be selling since its in such good original shape and Lisa wants something that she can drive around thats auto. She doesnt care or appreciate the originality about them so thats why im not cutting up the 9 ft bed pickup thats all original, running and driving.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Zach B

That one your thinking of selling I have a question on and it should determine if you want to keep it or not. Is there a fill nozzle in the bed? If so I would keep it. They only did that in 47 (half year of production on the body style) and 48.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
Daze57

welcome to the forum from sin city
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Devs47Chevy

Yeah the filler is in the bed and its a floor shift. I think its a 47. But I am not really interested in something all original. That's why I want to sell it to someone who appreciates it. How much is it worth? I drove it home lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
Zach B

Fully restored around $25,000 I would need to see yours in person to get a good estimate though I imagine it's still up there if it's runing. I would price that body style and compare it with trucks of the same condition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs47Chevy View Post
Maybe I wasnt quite clear above, if so my mistake. The 47 which I may sell is mint. That has good fenders and everything. I drove it home. So that one wont be touched.

The one I'm going to build has a good bed! The fenders are all just banged to hell may be past saving. But since I have it all there it may just be worth spending the money on the fenders. Especially if I can sell the other truck.

How much will that truck go for? Its a 1947 3800 9 foot bed. 90,000 original miles from montana. No rot anywhere just surface rust. Complete running driving truck. Seat isnt even ripped. Needs paint, a couple windows and a headliner.

Im not sure why it uploaded upside down but I guess bear with me lol. The loud crash is a latter falling over behind the truck.

If that doesnt work heres the link.

http://s833.photobucket.com/user/whi...4_987.mp4.html
That is a beautiful truck. I am curious what it will sell for.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Devs47Chevy

So maybe $15000-$20000?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs47Chevy View Post
So maybe $15000-$20000?
Posted via Mobile Device
In current condition?

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Devs47Chevy

What would it be worth in the current condition? Whats up there? 8-10?