The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
TazmanB

Short block header question

I am looking to change out the headers on my 350. The current headers hang down past the frame about 2 1/2 inches. I want to find a set of headers that will allow me to keep everything above the lower edge of the frame. Any info and/or pics would be great.

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
TazmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: Short block header question

did you look at the shorty hugger style?
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
did you look at the shorty hugger style?
I have looked at several shorty hugger styles. I was just wanting to get some feed back on the different ones out there and see what the pros and cons of some were before dropping the cash on something I will not like.

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
Old 10-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazmanB View Post
I am looking to change out the headers on my 350. The current headers hang down past the frame about 2 1/2 inches. I want to find a set of headers that will allow me to keep everything above the lower edge of the frame. Any info and/or pics would be great.
I just got done with this same exact situation. Like already said you can either get block hugger shorty headers that go straight down beside the block which didnt work for me because it dropped right down on the crossmember( you may not have this problem depending which holes your motor is mounted in). Or you can get what they call 3/4 length headers which go down and back towards the back bottom of the motor and exit around the starter and the oil filter on either side. These are what I went with and they worked great for rme and you cant see any of my exhaust below the truck. Now you can find them for our trucks and they arent cheap, or you can get some for the old camaro,nova,chevelle and do a little modification to the mounts.frame and they will work but you do have to modify. The plus side is I got ceramic coated with thick flanges and everything off ebay for 170.oo deliverd and trust me when I tell you it aint junk i was very impressed. If you do your research you DO NOT have to spend a ton of money on them. Hope this helps and I am sure there are other opinions as well. Good luck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
cdowns

a short block does not have heads so you cant bolt headers to a short block
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorri34 View Post
I just got done with this same exact situation. Like already said you can either get block hugger shorty headers that go straight down beside the block which didnt work for me because it dropped right down on the crossmember( you may not have this problem depending which holes your motor is mounted in). Or you can get what they call 3/4 length headers which go down and back towards the back bottom of the motor and exit around the starter and the oil filter on either side. These are what I went with and they worked great for rme and you cant see any of my exhaust below the truck. Now you can find them for our trucks and they arent cheap, or you can get some for the old camaro,nova,chevelle and do a little modification to the mounts.frame and they will work but you do have to modify. The plus side is I got ceramic coated with thick flanges and everything off ebay for 170.oo deliverd and trust me when I tell you it aint junk i was very impressed. If you do your research you DO NOT have to spend a ton of money on them. Hope this helps and I am sure there are other opinions as well. Good luck
How about sharing the eBay seller or listing number..like to see what you got. Might consider them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
a short block does not have heads so you cant bolt headers to a short block
You are correct, I appeared to have made an honest mistake when typing the title for my post, it should have been Small block header question. It seems you may be the only one who caught it or maybe the only one that felt the need to correct me on it. Sorry for the mistake

Old 10-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
geezer#99

I have these on my 84. Should be the same for yours.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...del/c20-pickup
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
How about sharing the eBay seller or listing number..like to see what you got. Might consider them.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sbc-350-383-...2792b5&vxp=mtr

Ok I dont know if this link will work but here it is along with the seller info:
seller-abad71camaro
item #-190893757109
ebay store name-asa performance

Try this and if non of it works ill try something else for you

Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
BugzC10

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sbc-350-383-...2792b5&vxp=mtr

Ok I dont know if this link will work but here it is along with the seller info:
seller-abad71camaro
item #-190893757109
ebay store name-asa performance

Try this and if non of it works ill try something else for you
The link works.....not bad looking.
Not trying to high jack this tread, but what modifications did you have to do to make them fit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
jmorri34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
The link works.....not bad looking.
Not trying to high jack this tread, but what modifications did you have to do to make them fit?
Posted via Mobile Device
On the passenger side, I torched maybe 1/4 inch off the edge of the frame so the headers wouldnt touch the edge, just the bare minimum I mean, not much at all. On the motor mount brackets, the tubes ran down and back instead of up and over and they touched the top of the motor mount frames so I took my torch and washed off part of the top of the frame so the tube would clear them. I know someone will balk at this but there is way more than enough metal on them to stand up to anything you will put them up against. if I can find a pic i will put it on her but I dont think I have one of the frame areas.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
jmorri34

Quote:
On the passenger side, I torched maybe 1/4 inch off the edge of the frame so the headers wouldnt touch the edge, just the bare minimum I mean, not much at all. On the motor mount brackets, the tubes ran down and back instead of up and over and they touched the top of the motor mount frames so I took my torch and washed off part of the top of the frame so the tube would clear them. I know someone will balk at this but there is way more than enough metal on them to stand up to anything you will put them up against. if I can find a pic i will put it on her but I dont think I have one of the frame areas.
Heres the only pic I have and I dont know how much you can see, not much really!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
TazmanB

Quote:
Heres the only pic I have and I dont know how much you can see, not much really!
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was needing to know. If anyone else has a different set please let me know

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazmanB View Post
Sanderson makes a set of long tube block huggers that will tuck right up between the flanges on your frame. The only place where they will be below the lower flange on the frame is in the arch for the front wheel.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
TazmanB

Thanks Fitz. I was hoping to find some long tubes that would work and yours look like they are exactly what Im looking for.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I have these on my 84. Should be the same for yours.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...del/c20-pickup
I took some pics. THese coated ones are showing their age after 12 years.
Attached Images

geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote