The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

4WD to 2WD Conversion Leaf Spring Hanger Modification?

hey guys, doing another 2wd blazer conversion, but this time trying to keep the leaf spring rear and do a low static drop on this blazer as opposed to adjustable air suspension. i was just curious if anyone here has done this before and has modified/built new front leaf spring hangers. The 4x hangars hang way too low and aside from being ugly it seems like a flipped axle in conjunction with a 2" shackle would put the leaf spring at an unusually awkward pitch. I am contemplating modifying the factory front hangers or building new ones and was wondering if anyone has experience with this or pictures of something they have done to address this issue. ive never built leaf hangers before, but they seem fairly simple to do ( or are they?) Pinion angle is not of any concern as I will be welding on new perches after I flip the axle and can address pinion angle issues then. Thanks in advanced for any help/advise.

milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

Re: 4WD to 2WD Conversion Leaf Spring Hanger Modification?

Im ditching my leafs when I do the swap....but I have a pretty nice set of truck arms and all the associated stuff so its an easy decision for me. It wouldnt be too hard to section those spring mounts down some but its not going to be any more work than putting in a trailing arm crossmember....then you wouldnt have axle wrap to worry about. I dont see any benefit it keeping leafs other than doing a spring under and not going so low.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: 4WD to 2WD Conversion Leaf Spring Hanger Modification?

Mine was set up this way and you are correct, it does look to be at an akward angle. I can tell you it functions just fine in this configuration. I once thought of using 2wd truck front hangers, but that combined with the axle flip would put you about 1/2" from the frame, requiring a frame notch. I have since removed everything and installed trailing arms...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote