The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
ol Curt

Cab Soundproofing?

Ok, I'm not to that point, but I have been thinking about this tar paper like matting I have been scraping off my floor prior to replacing rusty areas. Did most, or any of you use a soundproofing material and if so what brands? I will be replacing my original black mat with a new rubber one to match the original, but wouldn't mind keeping some noise and heat out.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: Cab Soundproofing?

Anybody ever use any of this?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...372-278-383769
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
rendus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
I used that in my Galaxie. 3 rolls did the entire floorboard and under the back seat. I probably should go back and do the doors and what not. Good stuff though, really thick and sticky. Has a bit of an odor initially, but it goes away pretty quick. I really can't say if it helps with noise reduction, my 460 is mighty loud . But I have no doubt it keeps the heat from coming up through the floorboard from the transmission and engine.
It's definitely something I'm planning on doing with my 66, along with a liberal coating of por-15 on the floor panels.

Last edited by rendus; 07-21-2009 at 04:25 PM.
rendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
ol Curt

And none of you other yahoos have used any kind of sound\heat proofing material?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
terd ferguson

I used the double sided foil type stuff at lowes. It has bubble wrap in the middle. I glued it down with 3M spray adhesive and taped the seams with that silver insulation tape. This was in my '53 Bel Air, by the way. It worked great and was cheap and looks good too (even though it'll get covered by carpet). It's easy to cut with regular scissors for the little spots the full size won't cover. And no tar to get all over you and your clothes, lol.

I'll do the same thing in my '63 pickup when it comes time (soon).

***EDITED TO ADD A PIC***

You can kind of see it here...

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"

Last edited by terd ferguson; 07-21-2009 at 08:17 PM.
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
austex66

I went with Raammat from Raamaudio. This stuff sticks REALLY well, and is not asphalt based like the others. They were great to deal with.

waltshow.com/Chevy
austex66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
bird7263
Urban Chop Shop

Quote:
Ok, I'm not to that point, but I have been thinking about this tar paper like matting I have been scraping off my floor prior to replacing rusty areas. Did most, or any of you use a soundproofing material and if so what brands? I will be replacing my original black mat with a new rubber one to match the original, but wouldn't mind keeping some noise and heat out.
Check out my build thread. On page 4 you find step by step how I did mine. I used the stuff from Lowes.. WOW!!! Cheap easy and the cab is so quiet now I can have a conversation on my cell or with my wife with out much engine noise. I have exhaust that dumps out underneath just before the axle.. Its super loud from the outside but very very quite on the inside. I used fiberglass to fill some small rust spots on the floor.. worked great.

1965 Chevy 1/2T Longbox, soon to be a slammed shop truck

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591266

Semper Fi Marines
bird7263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
ol Curt

Ryan,

The link for the peal and seal did not work. But, they show this stuff....does it look lie it this what you used? I am going to use armaflex over the top of it before my new rubber mat. The armaflex comes in sheets and is the material used to insulate pipes(dark foam)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...433&lpage=none
Old 07-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Hilandr451

I was given a cab by my neighbor and she had installed about $400.00 worth of Dynamat. I wouldn't have gone that way, but I don't think I would have used a tar/ mastic based product either. I think there must be a more affordable rubber based product available. I'm looking for something to go inside the doors.
Highlander's web site: www.6066ChevyTrucks.com
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
bird7263
Urban Chop Shop

Quote:
Ryan,

The link for the peal and seal did not work. But, they show this stuff....does it look lie it this what you used? I am going to use armaflex over the top of it before my new rubber mat. The armaflex comes in sheets and is the material used to insulate pipes(dark foam)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...433&lpage=none
I am not sure why that link does not work anymore.. Bummer. But here is a link to the company that makes it. http://www.cofair.com/peel_seal.aspx

I say that is worth calling them and seeing if they can mail you some. I only paid $15 a roll for the 6"x25'. Two rolls did my floor. I have used dynamat and fatmat in the past on some rods I built before someone from this web site turned me on to the peel and seal. The peel and seal works great, easy to install and is way cheap.. Let me know.

1965 Chevy 1/2T Longbox, soon to be a slammed shop truck

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591266

Semper Fi Marines
bird7263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilandr451 View Post
I was given a cab by my neighbor and she had installed about $400.00 worth of Dynamat. I wouldn't have gone that way, but I don't think I would have used a tar/ mastic based product either. I think there must be a more affordable rubber based product available. I'm looking for something to go inside the doors.
Well, there is this.. http://www.cofair.com/butyl.aspx ..no foil on top though.My original cab had a material under the rubber mat that was similar to tar products.

I have also read of folks using a paint with ceramic chips in it for insulation. I found a recipe of how to make it much cheaper but need more research on using it. I think the ready to use product is here...
http://www.metalshield.com/

I would use the foam or jute on top of this to help with sound.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
rendus

Quote:
I have also read of folks using a paint with ceramic chips in it for insulation. I found a recipe of how to make it much cheaper but need more research on using it. I think the ready to use product is here...
http://www.metalshield.com/
Here's another ceramic coating...
http://www.lizardskin.com/

Last edited by rendus; 07-25-2009 at 06:17 PM.
rendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
ol Curt

Yes,

Actually that's the one the guy was duplicating. He used some ceramic stuff that is used on RC airplane repairs ($8.95 gallon) and mixed it with paint. I think I have the links for it at work. I'll put them up Monday.

Last edited by ol Curt; 07-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
ol Curt

This one might be an inexpensive alternative!! I thin k this guy sell to a lot of the guys over at the HAMB.

http://www.lobucrod.com/
Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Woogeroo

an older truck, but a custom sound proofing deal:

http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/doors_quiet.php

He has lots of interesting projects on there that he has documented relating to his truck.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #16
ol Curt

Thanks Woog.... I also found this.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...mic_insulation
Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
jason65
Registerd User

Hey Bob. Lilred66 has been useing the stuff from Lows on his rigs. He seems to like it.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
ol Curt

Thanks Jason,

I'm going to meet Tony in two weeks when I go to pick up a TH350, automatic column, etc. from him. Maybe he'll have some tips about how or where to buy it from Lowe's. Their website shows it not available at our stores locally. When I try to order online it states "not available in our area".
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
ol Curt

I was at Lowes today and saw yet another brand. It only came in 4" x33' rolls, but I suppose it could be used. They also had the butyl material in rolls. It does not have foil on it.