The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
Lobo'74

Header Suggestions?

PO put on some "generic" Advantage Auto headers. The 350 is mounted in the I6 location and the driver side header had to be dimpled on one tube to get clear of the shifter. Also, when changing spark plugs the pass. side header has to come off to get clearance for the plug wrench socket to get to the plug.

There are small leaks on both side, but the pass side blew out the paper gasket around the center two port. I replaced it with a copper gasket. Better, at least the loud popping is gone, but still leaks. I used a beam style torque wrench and made sure all the grade 5 bolts had the proper torque.

Looks to me like the cheap no name headers are a large part of the problem. I'm thinking of changing them out and getting rid of the PO's two cherry bombs per side and getting either flowmaster 40's or the hooker aero mufflers.

What reasonably priced headers work well and give clearance around the clutch and shifter areas as well as around the plugs, with a 350 in the I6 position?

Thanks for your ideas.
Lobo'74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Blue68

Just go back with iron manifolds. You'll be happier in the long run, and if the avatar is your truck, it'll go more with the package.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote