The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
ChevDog1

Anyone running skinnies on steelies?

I'm going to have to buy tires soon (mine are so old and hard that they have nearly no traction). Thinking about trying some taller and narrower tires on my 15x6.5 ralleys. Anyone have experience with this? Got any pics of a similar setup? I currently have 255/60's on it, but I'm thinking of going to something like 235/75, or maybe even smaller in front.

Let me know what you think!
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Anyone running skinnies on steelies?

On my daily driver, I'm running stock 15x6 wheels all the way around. The rear tires are 235/75-15 and the fronts are 215/75-15. It's lowered 5 in the front and about 6 in the back.

I like this combo because the tires are stupid cheap, the rear tires keep the speedometer accurate, and the front tires clear when lowered.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
ChevDog1

That's exactly the combo I was thinking about! I was even looking at bfg all terrains inn those sizes. They don't fit the "stupid cheap" category, but I know that they have good traction for winter, ride smooth, and last a long time. Just not sure if they are a bit too "off road" looking for a lowered 2wd...
Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

My rear tires were free to me. They're some Goodyear Wrangler semi-off road tread. The fronts (Kuhmo brand) were 130 dollars per pair, out the door, from my local Discount Tire.

I built that entire truck for less than some guys are spending on a set of big low profile tires. I wish I had some bad assery on there but it just wasn't in the budget.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter

Here is a poor picture of my Goodyear rear tires. I flipped them around to put the letters inward when I powdercoated the wheels.

Obviously that picture was taken part way through the project. The tires were what was on the truck when it was given to me.

The 215s on the front.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

I've got P235/75R15's all the way around, but on 15x8 wheels.

I'm a cheap guy, too. I turned the whitewalls in and painted them black with Krylon. I'm also faced with a unique problem, in that the spare in the pickup box is visible when viewed from the backside - so - I painted that whitewall black with Krylon, too. It's been 5 years and it still looks fine.

K

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
ChevDog1

I completely get the whole budget aspect. I'm trying to keep mine on the cheap as well. I think I have about $2500 in it as it sits right now. Once I get my carb issues sorted, and get it licensed and registered, all that will be left are paint and interior. I think that the interior is going to be the single most expensive part of the project. The parts are expensive - and I have not had any luck on CL finding anything. I'm going to try and get as many miles as I can out of my existing tires, but they are so hard that my little six can't hardly get moving without a burnout!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I've got P235/75R15's all the way around, but on 15x8 wheels.

I'm a cheap guy, too. I turned the whitewalls in and painted them black with Krylon. I'm also faced with a unique problem, in that the spare in the pickup box is visible when viewed from the backside - so - I painted that whitewall black with Krylon, too. It's been 5 years and it still looks fine.

K
I got a buddy like that. We call him 1613. Seriously. That's the number for Krylon semi gloss black. He uses so much of that stuff building trucks that the name just stuck. It holds up good on tires.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
ChevDog1

How low is your truck Keith? Mine is dropped about 5/6
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
rudey737

Keith, I've always wondered what size wheels you were running. I don't remember seeing it in your build thread. Not that it isn't there, but I don't remember it. I have 15X8 wheels, too. I'd like to put my spare in my bed like yours, but I can't seem to find a spare carrier for the bed that will fit an 8" wide wheel. Did you make your carrier yourself?

One other question. I'm finally lowering my truck this weekend 4.5 in the front and 6 in the rear. Then it's off to an alignment and new tires. Does anyone know if I'll be ok with 235/75/15 tires front and rear with no rubbing on that drop?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudey737 View Post
Keith, I've always wondered what size wheels you were running. I don't remember seeing it in your build thread. Not that it isn't there, but I don't remember it. I have 15X8 wheels, too. I'd like to put my spare in my bed like yours, but I can't seem to find a spare carrier for the bed that will fit an 8" wide wheel. Did you make your carrier yourself?

One other question. I'm finally lowering my truck this weekend 4.5 in the front and 6 in the rear. Then it's off to an alignment and new tires. Does anyone know if I'll be ok with 235/75/15 tires front and rear with no rubbing on that drop?
Assuming you have removed your snubbers (you should with that drop), you're gonna rub the fender wells in the front. That's too tall of a tire really. In the back, it's okay, but front needs a tire a couple of inches shorter.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
ChevDog1

Which snubbers need removed? I have dropped spindles and springs and about 5" drop, so I assume I need to remove mine as well?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
rudey737

ChevDog1, I think he's referring to the bump stops on the control arms. They're located on the underside of the upper control arms. They have a rectangular base with a pyramid type shape on the top of them.

I was planning on removing those when I rebuild my control arms this weekend. However, I don't think new front bump stops came with my drop kit. Any suggestions on lower profile ones to put up there, or should I just run without them?

I'm bummed to hear that there is rubbing with 235/75/15's up front. I wanted to stay with the same size tire all the way around for tire rotation/spare replacement issues and for aesthetics as well. I wonder if 225/75/15's will be too small.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
ChevDog1

Looks like another item on my todo list. I still need to cut off the rear bumpstop mounts.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I got a buddy like that. We call him 1613. Seriously. That's the number for Krylon semi gloss black. He uses so much of that stuff building trucks that the name just stuck. It holds up good on tires.
LOL. Yer crackin' me up.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudey737 View Post
Mine is factory; RPO P13 (side mounted spare).

I have made them in the past, though. Just used a hat section (probably a section cut from the factory underbed carrier) with a slot in it, mounted to the inside of the bed. I made my own "T" bolt but a standard carriage bolt would probably work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
How low is your truck Keith? Mine is dropped about 5/6
I'm probably 3" all the way around. Fairly conservative on this truck.

I did a 4/6 on the blue truck, with the factory LR60-15 tires on the 15x7 aluminum wheel. I don't recall any rubbing (but I did have to go slow over railroad tracks).

K

1986 - 2019
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
rudey737

Thanks, Keith. Right now I have 235/75/15 tires on the front and 225/75/15 on the rear. That's how the truck was when I bought it in September, and I haven't changed the tires because I knew I was going to be getting new ones soon. I'll lower the truck and drive with the 235s and 225s on the front and see how bad the rubbing is.

As for the spare tire carrier, I can't seem to find one using that RPO code. Do you happen to know a part number for it? When I look up the RPO code, it just goes to websites explaining the RPO codes.