The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
TNBandit

Exhaust header question

Still messing with mocking up my CPP engine & trans tubular crossmembers for my 56 truck. Already started a post concerning that. Buttt.. I also scored these brand new headers in a trade deal. Guy had bought them for his first gen Camaro and they interfere with the clutch bellcrank for his 4 speed setup. I am putting an automatic in my truck so that will not be an issue. Looking for feedback from anyone who has used this style of header on a TF truck. I'm hoping I don't run into clearance issues with the steering box. I am keeping the stock box. The CPP engine crossmember does allow a slight amount of fudging if I need to move the engine towards the passenger side just a little. And before anyone says that's not a good idea, Chevrolet did it on the first generation Camaros to get away from the rear mounted steering box on those cars and had no ill effects. Here are a couple pics of my mockup engine I'm using to fab the mounts and these are the headers I'm hoping to use. Thanks
Attached Images

TNBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Exhaust header question

Start reading....

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
TNBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Yeah I could have done that too. Unfortunately I got ALOT of hits concerning Camaro subframe swaps. Believe it or not I am smart enough to figure out that Camaro headers will fit a truck that has a Camaro subframe... I was hoping for someone who has used them in conjunction with the stock straight axle and stock steering box. If I don't find anything with the link you posted or get any other responses on here I guess I'll find out soon enough when my trans crossmember arrives in a few days.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rude Dude

You might have a problem with the straight axle steering box. You can correct by two methods set the engine slightly to the passenger side to clear the box or heat the primary tubes and dent with a ball pen hammer or steel tube to clear the box. Ram horns 2 1/2 exhaust will clear with no problem or shorty center dump headers will also clear.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
TNBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
You might have a problem with the straight axle steering box. You can correct by two methods set the engine slightly to the passenger side to clear the box or heat the primary tubes and dent with a ball pen hammer or steel tube to clear the box. Ram horns 2 1/2 exhaust will clear with no problem or shorty center dump headers will also clear.
I knew the shorty center dumps are what alot of guys are using and I also have a set of rams horns but these headers were part of a swap deal, I like how they look, they should flow better, and I'm into them dirt cheap. Just hoping I can make them work. I'll give it a try when the trans crossmember arrives. I'm fairly stubborn and if I can find a way to make them work I'll post it here.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
G&R's57GMC

If your using the stock brake peddle I think you may be in trouble.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
If your using the stock brake peddle I think you may be in trouble.
Exactly.
72Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
TNBandit

Do most of the aftermarket booster & master cylinder kits that mount under the cab use the stock pedal ? I haven't ordered that yet but the original master & lever assembly are still in place and I saved the pedal and can easily reattach it to see if it's going to be a problem. Fun stuff...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
dubie

I have a 56 with a straight axle front end, stock steering box and a power brake booster mounted under the floor and I can tell you in all honesty that these headers are not going to fit. It may look like there is a lot of room in that engine bay but on the drivers side, you're limited on headers. The only ones that I can confirm that will fit for this application is Edelbrock . The tubes for the last 2 cylinder bend towards the center, giving you greater clearance around the steering box and the brake pedal and booster. One of the many reason I went with 2 1/2" ram horns instead

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
TNBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I have a 56 with a straight axle front end, stock steering box and a power brake booster mounted under the floor and I can tell you in all honesty that these headers are not going to fit. It may look like there is a lot of room in that engine bay but on the drivers side, you're limited on headers. The only ones that I can confirm that will fit for this application is Edelbrock . The tubes for the last 2 cylinder bend towards the center, giving you greater clearance around the steering box and the brake pedal and booster. One of the many reason I went with 2 1/2" ram horns instead
Well I hope to be able to find a way to make them work possibly by moving the engine slightly to the right of center. But.. if not I have a set of rams horns set aside for this possibility. I will know soon enough when the trans crossmember arrives. I just hate the thought of having these headers laying around because in my warped way of thinking extra parts means I need another project so I can use them...
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
dubie

I know what you mean. When I finished mine, I had 2 set of headers in the shop that didn't fit, kind of disheartening but the ram horns fit nicely. There's a market online for gently used headers so you can put some cash back into your project if they don't fit

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
_Ogre

getting #7 spark plug out around the stock steering box is hard enough.
those headers definitely won't work unless you offset the motor 6'' or more.
the left side will probably fit (unless you offset the motor).

i don't understand why you bought the engine and trans x-member.
those are some of the easiest fabrication pieces you can do in your truck.
universal fit usually requires cutting, fitting and welding, same as making your own from scratch.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
JumboAMONGus

i had a set of sanderson headers said they were for truck but when i got them they were for a car and they would not fit with stock steering box they hit , i had to go to rams horn cast headers ,, and i tried a set of shorty chevelle camaro headers they wouldnt even go in on the driver side ,,,, then i blew my motor up 3 hours later and went back to 6 cylinder ,, haaa chev 302 do go to 8 grand ,, but the 202 valves hit the pistons , after 7999rpms , lol
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
TNBandit

Well it looks like I have a nice new set of chrome headers for a Camaro to swap or sell.... Set the engine in today just to have a look. Now I know why guys move the steering box to the outside of the frame but I'm not gonna do that. In keeping with the low budget plan for this build I'll just use the rams horns that I have. The engine is just resting on the crossmember until the new rubber mounts & the transmission mount arrives. Then I can get the exact position figured out and also decide if the factory mid mount crossmember needs to go. Using a long tail TH400 simply because I already owned it, going to have to cut the driveshaft anyway, and I know it's a good one.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
OrrieG

I like the direction you are going...here is mine.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
TNBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I like the direction you are going...here is mine.
Very nice. And I am using a set of M/T valve covers, just not the ones I used for the mockup. The left one in the pic has had breather tubes welded in from back when I was building dirt track engines. The other set I have are unmolested. I'm pretty old school so no Camaro subframe or Mustang II front end or any of that for me. Upgrading to disc brakes though because it would be nice to have it safe. I have your build thread saved for reference as well as a few others. Built many first gen Camaros, Chevelles, racecars, old Triumph motorcycles, etc but this is my first old truck.