The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Burbanaro

How low is too low 55/59

So this question is aimed at 55/59 owners. How low at the rocker for a daily driver? I'm building a 55 Burb planning on doing a camaro subframe under the frame Im just not sure it will be low enough. It seems the rockers are around 5in off the ground(depending on tires). Do these trucks rub at this height or can you go lower? Im looking to make this a daily driver I don't mind minor rubbing I just don't want my wife saying why does it bottom out all the time. Thanks Randy
Burbanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Indian113

Re: How low is too low 55/59

Your bumper will be even lower I'm betting!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Chevette

A beer can at the back of the rocker, then reduce to "?" at the front of the rocker depending on the rake you want. Having said that, everyone has their own opinion on stance, and so they should. That's one of the things that makes rodding so interesting. Just my 2 bits. Good luck with your build, and please don't forget to post lots of photos. Everyone like pics.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Chevette

This is as low as I was willing to drop it. Then again, I was maybe a bit "chicken".
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Mac the Yankee

Burbanaro,

I planned to have 6" under the rockers, so that I can get over the hump at the top of my driveway- will let you know when the clip and flip are done
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
mr48chev

Mac explained it pretty well right there.

There are two kinds of "too low":

1. Your truck gets hung up going over curbs or entry ways you go over all the time. If you can't navigate your own driveway without getting hung up or get in the gas station you always go to without getting hung up it's too low.

2. The local and not so local law enforcement folks stop you on an all too regular basis for being too low. That means stuff below the scrub line. With all the little fart piped Honda Civics sitting right on the ground the law enforcement folks don't pay a lot of attention to lowered trucks anymore if they look right.

3. In you live near Bountiful Utah don't lower it as lowered rigs can't maneuver the streets or parking lot entry ways in that town.

A lot of how low you get your truck has to do with the roads you drive on on a regular basis. Every time I go through Utah (not to pick on that state) my 48 gets hung up on a entryway to a business somewhere and I have bent the running board hitting potholes or debris in the roads.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
dubie

i have 5 1/2" below the rocker on mine but i used a dropped axle so the clearance up front is less than if you had a Camaro clip. But it sits just right as far as I'm concerned.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

My opinion is anything below stock is too low.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
My opinion is anything below stock is too low.
hahahahahahahha

in my opinion, it CAN'T be TOO LOW!!

J/K Wrenchbender,

But seriously, mine is bagged so I raise the front fenders above the tires to drive around, parked with the air out, the front bumper is about 5/8" off the ground (not too low while I am parked). My friend's truck next to mine (blue 55) is driven like that all the time as his is just a static suspension.

Burbanaro, I would love to see pics of this 55 burban you are building as I am about to start my 55 burban also. (well, my WIFES 55.2 burban anyway lol.)

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
i have 5 1/2" below the rocker on mine but i used a dropped axle so the clearance up front is less than if you had a Camaro clip. But it sits just right as far as I'm concerned.
Dubie. Your truck's stance looks excellent, in my opinion.

"in my opinion, it CAN'T be TOO LOW!!" I'm with you on that one, Fabguy. Your truck looks great.

Last edited by Chevette; 10-26-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Dubie. Your truck's stance looks excellent, in my opinion.

"in my opinion, it CAN'T be TOO LOW!!" I'm with you on that one, Fabguy. Your truck looks great.
He's right Dubie, it looks great.
Thank you Chevette.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
Burbanaro

Chevette your truck is flat SICK its my fav on the whole site. Dubie your ride sits nice thats pretty much what Im looking for cool build. Fabguy bags are cool just not in my future your friend's Blue 55 is just exactly what Im looking for height wise. Is it clipped or? Does it rub much? I will be doing a build thread as soon as I get all my parts together Im hoping in the next few months. I started it 15yrs ago I put the body on a 1ton chevy 4x4 frame I've now changed gears and going to drop it so I can use it to advertise my farm. It started life as a 58 GMC Burb the nose was really rusty so I put a 55/57 chevy nose on it. Now I'm looking for a 55 GMC front clip as I've fallen for the GMC nose. I bought a 95 Z28 for a donor it runs awesome the body is toast. I'm going to do this on the cheap I will be using everything from the camaro motor/trans/rear with a 79 camaro front clip hence the name Burbanaro
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
Burbanaro

Fabguy that's funny I was aready following your Burb build.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Speedbumpauto

I put my Camaro front clip bottom against the lower inside channel of the frame and I have about 5 1/2 inches at the front rocker panel. I don't think you can get that low doing the under frame(ala HAMB) method without using dropped spindles etc. Also, have you checked the compatability of that new of Camaro for what you're trying to do? I was under the impression the early 80's were the last clips that worked well. Just a thought.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
Burbanaro

Speedbump Im using the front subframe from a 79 camaro the rest will come from the 95 Do you have any pics of your truck or subframe install?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Speedbumpauto

Here's how mine went. Still don't have a hood on, but soon. First pic shows edge of inner so you can see how I welded to the bottom inside. Second shows how I finished the outside part. Third shows the inside final boxing and the last is close to ride stance, maybe 1/2 inch higher or so in front as I have adjustable coil overs and the assembly isn't complete.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
lowrodderchev

I seen it done this way in a old classic trucks magazine looks good speedbumpauto
Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
Burbanaro

Sweet ride Speedbump Thanks for the pics I was thinking just like what you pictured. Have you driven your truck out around town yet? How tall are your front tires? Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Speedbumpauto

Thanks for the good comments. It has not driven down the road yet. Before Christmas is my current goal. The front tire is a 215x60x17 and it's 27" tall. I will say the first mock up was with a 245x45x17 and it was only 25" tall. It had a slightly meaner look but was too wide for fender clearance during turns with the 7" wheel and I decided gaining an inch of ground clearance would be a serious bonus. I'm thinking the front will come up another 1/2 inch with springs once the final assembly is done. The rear is where it needs to be but might look better slightly lower. My C notch is not as big as it could have been, in retrospect, since I ended up raising the bed floor 2 inches. I'm seriously picky about stance and don't want the nose to be too low in proportion. I'm still fighting that battle over looks and suspension travel a little, but it is what it is.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Burbanaro

Darn 245x45x17's was actually what I was wanting to run on the front....what was your backspacing on your wheel? I actually like your rake its pretty close to what I'm thinking. How deep is your C notch? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
G&R's57GMC

SpeedBumpAuto,

Your Truck looks awesome !

So the front tire is 27" on a 7" rim, whats the backspace ?
I'm running 215x70R15 on 7" rim and was wondering how it would look in the wheel well, your pic answered that question.

What is the diameter of your rear tire?
I'm running a 235x70R15 its 28" on a 8" rim. I wonder if I should go with a 29" ?

My project in the background has been on hold almost 3 years now as other projects (1. trailer in foreground, completed), (2. Built a rental house and rented) (3. Airstream Renovation/Rebuild, on hold) (4. Taking care of wife this year as she battled Cancer, in remission YEA !) Now back to the Airstream Project.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Speedbumpauto

I'm glad fortune has smiled on you and your wife with the cancer. I hope it stays with you. The front wheel has a 3 1/2" backspace, so it's basically a centered wheel. The rear tire is 31" tall and I think that's a pretty good ratio of "bigs and littles". For Burbanaro, my first mock up, before I completely lost my mind on this project, I had the stock contol arms on the Camaro clip and ended up having to use a positive offset wheel on the front to get the same size tire on that I have now. It was a 15" wheel 6" wide like they sell for the 80's Camaros, almost flat on the outside. I didn't much care for the look but that's what would work. The down side of the front steer clip is it's a couple of inches wider track than the 68-71 and you have to compensate with wheels. After I went crazy, I got some Heidts 1" shorter control arms so I could get a little offset in the front wheel. Your results might vary but be very careful before you throw a bunch of money at some wheels. Also, my C notch is about 3" which is as much as I think you can put in a stock frame without raising the upper channel. Also, also, I haven't driven this thing yet so I'm not positive it will turn correctly without more mods, but I think it will. Ya'll will be the first to know.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
Burbanaro

Interesting I really like a wider tire on the front ....I will have to do a bit of experimenting no worry on me spending alot of money on wheels this is a budget build...course we have all said that before...LOL good to know on the rear notch I was thinking 3in was about max. Really like the rake on your truck. My goal is to start tearing into my Burb right after the first of the year should have most of the parts by then.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

At the risk of pudding off some of my friends here and speaking ONLY for myself, of course I think my truck could be lowered too much.

I'm talking about a non-show truck with a static drop, not air suspension. I want my truck quite a bit lower than it is but I don't want any if the bull**** of crawling over driveways diagonally or tires rubbing on turns, etc.

For me, having the top of the front rim exposed above the center of the wheel well is the most I want mine lowered. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 the sidewall showing for me.

Flame away! Lol.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
dubie

I think that's a good route for your truck Dan. If you lower the entire thing 3" all the way around, it'll give it a real cool look. Plus you don't have to alter everything the way I did by dropping it even further.
If I do another solid axle truck, that's the way I'll be doing it. Keep some clearance and some added suspension travel. I like the look of the black one that zips across the Filling Stations advertisement on this page

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote