The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
daveboy

Installing seatbelts

I just ordered some lapbelts for my '52 Chevy. This will be my project for next weekend. My truck is in stock condition. I will be removing the seat frame and bolting the belts to the bottom of the cab, or at least that is my plan. Is there anything I should know about concerning removing and installing the seat frame? Is it pretty straightforward? Also, will there be enough room there to mount those belts without having to remove the tank to do so? I am sure someone has done this before, so any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Installing seatbelts

the only thing i can think of is to reinforce the under side of the floor
a 3x3x1/4 plate would be good, pull that thru and you'll have more to worry about than floor repair
but it would keep a car seat secure

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
nvrdone

Taking the seat frame out is easy. After removing the seat cushions, there are two nuts on the back cross piece that are a bit of a pain but not bad. There is room to work with out removing the tank.There are also two nuts on the front corners of the seat frame. It helps to have another person to take the frame out. Take it out the passenger side.
I mounted my lap belts to the back and side frames, not thru the floor. I did use some 1/4" plate for reinforcement. They actually held good when I rear ended a car a few years ago.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
LEEVON

Here's a pretty good write up:

http://www.julianos.com/how2_3point_...evy_truck.html
Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
mr48chev

What style of seat belts you bought will determine how you mount them.

Belts with the shoulder strap will pretty well have to be mounted like the instructions in the link Leevon gave above. You can make modifications to accommodate the stock seats but don't skimp on safety.

If you have belts that just have the tab to bolt them in you have to figure out where to mount them so they are long enough to fit the passengers while being secure in case of an accident. You also have to mount them so they won't chafe on the seat's framework and compromise the integrity of the belts.

Make sure that the area you bolt them to is solid and use something as a backing such as extra large od body washers or as i prefer a strip of flatbar that runs across the underside of the floor so that all of the seat belt bolts run though it. That may be overkill but having been through two helicopter crashes and one truck rollover I like solid mounts for my seat belts.

One last thing and that is make sure that what ever seats you use are mounted solid and right. When I rolled the truck that had belonged to my son I found out that the seat wasn't bolted down well and it broke loose from the mounts. The seat belt was holding me and the seat in place and i was pretty sore for a while.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
the only thing i can think of is to reinforce the under side of the floor
a 3x3x1/4 plate would be good, pull that thru and you'll have more to worry about than floor repair
but it would keep a car seat secure
Ditto, what I did before this remodel. also put in eye bolts for child seat.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
JumboAMONGus

my 56 has seat belts someone used a 2x2 square and long bolt and double nutted it under cab , seams to work but i never ware them there hidden under seat ,,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote