The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
jrharts

My "New" Truck

All,

New member here...military dude stationed in Florida. Currently deployed and will be retiring in less than a year to my home town in Pennsylvania.

Here's the story, the following truck was purchased new by my wife's grandfather, he passed and willed it to my brother-in-law. He let it sit for a couple of years and he just offered it to me (free) because he knew I would bring it back to life. He just let it sit in my barn and now it is outside in a pole barn.

As you can tell, the truck was used hard, but it is still in ok condition; the interior is still in excellent shape though.

The details:
1971 GMC 1500 LB
307 V-8
Auto
No A/C
No P/S
No brake booster

Why did I post? To help manage my expectations as to how much it may cost to restore.

I want to do the following (work done in the central PA area):
-Convert to short bed (maybe new sheetmetal due to condition of bed?)
-Paint/body work (similar color)
-Lower a bit w/new suspension
-Upgrade brakes (booster and maybe discs in rear)
-Wheels/tires
-Make it safe (hoses, lines, etc.)

Performance-wise I would have preferred a 350, and I may look at that, but probably not.

I am not expecting a show-quality end product, just a good, solid truck that is sweet to look at. If I do end up sinking money into this, I would prefer to go over the whole thing (frame off?) to ensure nothing is missed. I would like to repaint everything if possible. I will not be doing any of the major stuff because I don't have those skill-sets (body, paint), but the small stuff is where I can jump in (suspension, brakes, engine work). I do not expect to be dropping the truck to someone and picking it up a year later done. I will be involved in the process and do a lot of the grunt work (disassembly/assembly).

The recent news about me getting this truck has really given me a lot to think about during the last part of my deployment (grateful for that)...I am pretty excited to say the least.

So, given the limited information above, is it possible to accomplish all of the above for around $20-25K? I understand there are a lot of "it depends" and "what-if's," so please don't flame away...just looking to see if I should stop thinking about it--cost will be the deciding factor. Again, the truck will be done in the Williamsport, PA area. If this project is feasible, I may ask for some suggested people to do some of the work. I've been away from that area so long I barely know who is reputable.

Thanks in advance!

John

2000 Tundra
1971 GMC 1500
Attached Images

jrharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
SuperC10Tex

Re: My "New" Truck

Welcome from Texas and thank you for serving our country!!! Good luck with the new 4-eyes!!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Central Florida also and thanks for serving our country.
Your budget numbers are about right for what you want to do. We will help any way we can, you've come to the right place.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Welcome from Michigan. It looks like a nice start and you have good goals for it. You will get plenty of inspiration, motivation and advise here.

Don't discard the hub caps, they are worth a lot to Chevy passenger car people and even look good on the truck.

Have fun.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
nobolt

welcome to the board!
there are great people here, you will enjoy it and get an education...I know I am.
thanks for your service!

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
sKnNyPpY

Welcome! I say clean it up and drive the heck out of it. I love my long bed and would work on a/c and power steering before cutting on the bed. Just flip your list upside down Others will chime in but rear wheel disc shouldn't be so important. Getting a newer suspension on the 40+ year old truck will certainly help.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Can you do some of the work yourself?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Hardesty454

For 20-25k You can build a pretty good show quality truck... if you build it yourself. My advice is buy a good welder. Practice. Buy a good sprayer. Practice. you can spend the rest of that money on good quality parts and not having someone else building the truck. Not that I have all the skill sets needed to build a show truck, but I sure have saved a lot of money learning to use tools. Good luck on the build and feel free to ask any questions!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
slow-1

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Looks like a good solid truck...my strategy for keeping within the budget is that I don't total up all the receipts...comes in under budget every time.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Thanks for biting the bullet for us, from another four eyed vet(US Army, FT. Hood TX)

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Take it from an old codger that has been there, done that, the worst thing a newbie can do is to completely disassembe a truck to do a frame off. I'm not saying it can't be done but it takes a lot of time, money, and dedication.... For a first truck I would suggest fixing the things that make it safe to drive and drive it for a while. That way you will be able to see how much work is involved just to make it safe to drive and keep it going... If you are young you will have plenty of time to do a frame off. If you do disassemble it take pictures of EVERYTHING, down to which wiper linkage goes on which side and which windshield washer nozzle goes on which side 'cause a lot of things will only go back together one way.

I have bought 6 project trucks since 2004 for pennies on the dollar because inexperienced people disassembled them to do frame off builds. I have had two guys contact me this month trying to sell me their project trucks. It's a real shame that people are losing their shirts from being over zealous on a first build, but that's life.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the truck!

In the pictures it appears that you don't have major rust issues. The front end appears to be in very nice shape. If the sheet metal is as good as it looks that truck will clean up nicely for far less than you think.

The best way to save money is to take your time. Wait for the deals to come to you. Concentrate first on safety and reliability in that order. Keep your eye out for a SWB chassis.

Do your homework. Search for how-to's like; ball joints, brakes, wheel bearings, timing chain, bodywork, alignment, cab mounts, etc... Get familiar with it.

Don't bite off more than you can chew! You can't drive it if it's all torn apart. After you've had it on the road a while, you'll have a much better idea which direction you would like to take on your project.

Things you might not know; The crankshaft from that 307, and a 350 block make a sweet 327, and those are some very desirable hubcaps. Either of these are great trade booty.

Have Fun!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Take it from an old codger that has been there, done that, the worst thing a newbie can do is to completely disassembe a truck to do a frame off. I'm not saying it can't be done but it takes a lot of time, money, and dedication.... For a first truck I would suggest fixing the things that make it safe to drive and drive it for a while. That way you will be able to see how much work is involved just to make it safe to drive and keep it going... If you are young you will have plenty of time to do a frame off. If you do disassemble it take pictures of EVERYTHING, down to which wiper linkage goes on which side and which windshield washer nozzle goes on which side 'cause a lot of things will only go back together one way.

I have bought 6 project trucks since 2004 for pennies on the dollar because inexperienced people disassembled them to do frame off builds. I have had two guys contact me this month trying to sell me their project trucks. It's a real shame that people are losing their shirts from being over zealous on a first build, but that's life.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
Great advice. Im a young oldie(old enough to know better, way too young to know half of what I should know). Ive probably learned more in the 3 yrs Ive been on this site than the previous 40. Even though I had a 70 cheyenne when I was 17(1984). Take it from guys like locdoc. Unless you are extremely motivated and a mechanic, with a big wallet, it will get away from you

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC10Tex View Post
Welcome from Texas and thank you for serving our country!!! Good luck with the new 4-eyes!!!
SuperC10Tex,

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to taking this on. Funny...4-eyes.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #15
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Welcome from Central Florida also and thanks for serving our country.
Your budget numbers are about right for what you want to do. We will help any way we can, you've come to the right place.
RenoKeene,

Glad to hear I am not completely bonkers on the numbers--appreciate your response. Gauging from the responses already, I know this is the right place!

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #16
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Welcome from Michigan. It looks like a nice start and you have good goals for it. You will get plenty of inspiration, motivation and advise here.

Don't discard the hub caps, they are worth a lot to Chevy passenger car people and even look good on the truck.

Have fun.
TBONE1964,

Good to know about the hub caps...I'm pretty sure I would have tossed them.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
welcome to the board!
there are great people here, you will enjoy it and get an education...I know I am.
thanks for your service!
nobolt,

I already have learned lots from this website and looking forward to more.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #18
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
Welcome! I say clean it up and drive the heck out of it. I love my long bed and would work on a/c and power steering before cutting on the bed. Just flip your list upside down Others will chime in but rear wheel disc shouldn't be so important. Getting a newer suspension on the 40+ year old truck will certainly help.
sKnNyPpY,

That is some good advice...I do wish that I could snap my fingers and the truck pictured in my mind would be real. I think that would be great, but I think I want to experience the project as much as I can. Starting SLOW may be a good tactic.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Can you do some of the work yourself?
Tom,

Well, I think I can do some, but definitely nothing related to frame, paint, and body. I think I can muddle through the chassis projects though.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
For 20-25k You can build a pretty good show quality truck... if you build it yourself. My advice is buy a good welder. Practice. Buy a good sprayer. Practice. you can spend the rest of that money on good quality parts and not having someone else building the truck. Not that I have all the skill sets needed to build a show truck, but I sure have saved a lot of money learning to use tools. Good luck on the build and feel free to ask any questions!
Hardesty454,

I thought about this...I hate the thought of paying someone for something I may be capable of with some practice. Doing it myself will take forever, but come with massive amounts of pride.

My father-in-law is a farmer and a very skilled welder (he learned out of necessity).

Thanks.

John

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #21
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post
Welcome and thank you for your service!

Looks like a good solid truck...my strategy for keeping within the budget is that I don't total up all the receipts...comes in under budget every time.
slow-1,

Thanks for the reply and receipt idea. I cannot wait to get back home and up to Pennsylvania to go through the truck to see how it looks in person.

Receipts as well as a spreadsheet will be my strategy...I am a dork like that.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #22
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
Thanks for biting the bullet for us, from another four eyed vet(US Army, FT. Hood TX)
71sierragrande,

Ha, another Vet! Thanks for your service.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
LockDoc,

I have truly taken your comments to heart...the last thing I want is a pile of parts and lost momentum.

I will find a way to get it done. Big thing for me is I want to have fun and make it a positive experience--something I will remember for a long time. My wife would love to see her Pap's old truck revived and jumping into this without a plan would be pretty counterproductive.

Again, thanks. Cleaning it up, getting to know it, and making it safe to drive seems like a good plan. It reminds me of a quote I hear all the time: "sometimes you have to slow down to go a little faster." This may apply here.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the truck!

In the pictures it appears that you don't have major rust issues. The front end appears to be in very nice shape. If the sheet metal is as good as it looks that truck will clean up nicely for far less than you think.

The best way to save money is to take your time. Wait for the deals to come to you. Concentrate first on safety and reliability in that order. Keep your eye out for a SWB chassis.

Do your homework. Search for how-to's like; ball joints, brakes, wheel bearings, timing chain, bodywork, alignment, cab mounts, etc... Get familiar with it.

Don't bite off more than you can chew! You can't drive it if it's all torn apart. After you've had it on the road a while, you'll have a much better idea which direction you would like to take on your project.

Things you might not know; The crankshaft from that 307, and a 350 block make a sweet 327, and those are some very desirable hubcaps. Either of these are great trade booty.

Have Fun!
jhwkns,

I'm hoping the rust isn't too bad...the bed looks shot, the bottom of the doors look rotted, as does the cab corners. I really can't wait to see what the frame looks like.

Again, all great advice. I sure would like to drive the thing sooner rather than later.

Thanks.

John
Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #25
jrharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
Great advice. Im a young oldie(old enough to know better, way too young to know half of what I should know). Ive probably learned more in the 3 yrs Ive been on this site than the previous 40. Even though I had a 70 cheyenne when I was 17(1984). Take it from guys like locdoc. Unless you are extremely motivated and a mechanic, with a big wallet, it will get away from you
71sierragrande,

Well, I am motivated, not a mechanic, but my wallet is flexible (note I did not say big..).

I will get it done one way or another--just not sure how.

Thanks.

John