The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #1
MARTINSR

Amazing AD Chevy pickup I saw today.

This truck was worth going to the Goodguys in Pleasanton today. I stared at it, spoke with the owner/builder about it for a long time, left came back and stared at it and spoke with him more.

This guy has an eye, the mods that he made like moving the bottom of the rear window down an inch, moving the fender wells up an inch, installing the 56 headlights but without the big body lines, mod after mod extremely mild, while others huge, what an amazing work of art.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: Amazing AD Chevy pickup I saw today.

Figured you'd be there. I got to the show @ 9AM and it was a zoo by then! Didn't get a chance to see much. I had my BiL's bro with us and he was in a wheelchair after breaking a leg, but i digress. There were a lot of nice vehicles there and it was a great day.

Hope you had fun too!
Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
MARTINSR

I did, didn't enter anything but had fun. It was CRAZY packed, holy crap!

Brian

Old 08-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

The truck is well done, but I prefer the body left as the factory designed it. The original is hard to improve on.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

I was wondering why there are no running boards. The cab must be channeled over the frame?
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Yes Jesse, it was channeled and then the bottoms of the fenders trimmed off. The front fenders of course were raised and then the hood was sectioned.

Brian

Old 08-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
The truck is well done, but I prefer the body left as the factory designed it. The original is hard to improve on.
I can respect that. This was an equally amazing AD. This one had a stock body with out of this world detail. Detail is something that takes little skill, it takes passion, so just about anyone can do it. It's cool to see the home hobbiest who maybe isn't ready (though everyone can do this too!) to customize a truck to simply finish off every spec of his to perfection.

When I look at a car of this level I like to keep looking deeper and deeper looking for flaws. Not to pick the car apart understand, but just to see how far did the guy go. I was explaining this yesterday to a young lady who never been to a car show before. Standing at this truck looking into the engine compartment, I could see nothing! All the way at the bottom of the firewall it looked like the top of the fender!

This thing was amazing!

You could look with a magifying glass all the way to the back of the hood under the hinge brackets and see no flaws!

How about the front lip of the hood that originally was all wavy, how about this!

When I showed the young lady a stock hood on another truck (it was very nice too, just not AS nice) I could see she "got it."

Brian

Old 08-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

That is a very nice custom truck. Exactly how a custom should be. Subtle, and not over the top. If you didn't know the original lines you wouldn't notice the majority of the mods.

I looked at the pictures quite awhile ... Oh, look what he did there, and there. I never would have even notice the window or fender well mods, and Ive owned two of these trucks lol.

Also I like how he flowed the dash into the window moldings. Ive seen this done many times on rides that have had a different dash installed, but this one is done "just enough" not to overly draw attention to it.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
joedoh

gorgeous work, chop tops look best with a section and a channel in my admittedly dim opinion, it can look out of proportion otherwise. all the subtle stuff is neat too, like the headlight rings that are half ad and half 56 chevy car. and the pancaked hood that is welded together but retains the zipper strip. too much to list!

I think the driving position might be too cramped for me though, my head brushes the headliner and I am hugging the steering wheel on a stock truck. I cant imagine what a chop and section would do even with the seat lowered like it is.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
gorgeous work, chop tops look best with a section and a channel in my admittedly dim opinion, it can look out of proportion otherwise. all the subtle stuff is neat too, like the headlight rings that are half ad and half 56 chevy car. and the pancaked hood that is welded together but retains the zipper strip. too much to list!

I think the driving position might be too cramped for me though, my head brushes the headliner and I am hugging the steering wheel on a stock truck. I cant imagine what a chop and section would do even with the seat lowered like it is.
He actually told me that he has to bring the seat back and have them thin it out, the back and the bottom are too thick he said.

Brian

Old 08-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
mr48chev

That little blue truck is slick but not over done and it doesn't lose it's identity as and AD truck. I saved the photos for reference.

I really like the color on the maroon one as it is close to what I have planned for mine but I don't know if mine will be near that slick in all places. There are more hours in that hood than some of the "patina" brigade have in their whole truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #12
iowaboynca

the maroon truck was in the 'builders' section of the show. It was gorgeous! if you look at martinsr's 2nd pic, look at the taillights. They're stand alone from the bed, i.e. where typically the wires run is a solid metal piece that is holding up the entire light fixture. Don't even get me started on the rear bumper valence. The only reason i know this is as I was pointing out all the coolness to my 8yr old daughter who was tagging along

I said it before...great show
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
MARTINSR

It was pretty special in-deed!

Brian

Old 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
Shinysideup

The blue custom looks like it started as a 1 ton front clip.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 AM   #15
MARTINSR

Nope, the fenders were raised then the hood was sectioned. But I see what you mean.

Brian

Old 09-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
MIKESAD50

That was a great show and very good showing of AD's. I havent seen that many there before.