The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
69SCSS

Brake lines with disc swap.

Hey guys I'm about to order the new brake lines for my truck. I have a '68 short bed and I'm swapping to power discs in the front. I was going to grab Inline Tube's part # CTB6803 (1968-69 Power Drum Short Line Set 9pc 1/2 ton Coil Rear), and get the CPP drop spindle / 6 lug disc kit. I already have the booster. What I'm wondering is how the master cylinder and prop valve lines up with the stock drum brake lines. Will the stock lines line right up with the prop valve? I know the drums have the prop valve right next to the master also, but it's more of a distribution block. Any of you guys that have done this swap, let me know what to expect, so I know which brake lines to get. I have to get the 68-69 brake lines for this either way because of the narrower axle.

Thanks!
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Hardesty454

Re: Brake lines with disc swap.

Al,
If I remember correctly you can place the prop valve anywhere you want. If they dont line up, cut, bend and the reflare them to wherever you want.

I may be wrong but I believe Ive seen them put on frame rails before.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Al,
If I remember correctly you can place the prop valve anywhere you want. If they dont line up, cut, bend and the reflare them to wherever you want.

I may be wrong but I believe Ive seen them put on frame rails before.
Yea i figured I could make it work like that, I have all the tools, just wondering about how they do the kits and if there's a better choice for the stock lines, since I have nothing. I'd rather get the right thing first than make something work that's not quite right. I know the only difference really will be at the master cylinder, so I could mod that if need be. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SCSS View Post
Yea i figured I could make it work like that, I have all the tools, just wondering about how they do the kits and if there's a better choice for the stock lines, since I have nothing. I'd rather get the right thing first than make something work that's not quite right. I know the only difference really will be at the master cylinder, so I could mod that if need be. Thanks!
Well, You know... I have two masters that will work for that too.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
69SCSS

Quote:
Well, You know... I have two masters that will work for that too.
I'm gonna buy your whole damned truck, man. LOL!!!

Actually when it comes to stuff like the master cylinder and stuff like that I'd rather get something new... kinda like getting used tires, I'd rather start fresh than use something of unknown condition... who knows how long the seals will last, etc. I'll grab the prop valve from you though I don't think those go bad!

From the diagrams on the web I have found and on the LMC catalog, they look like they are routed the same for power drums or discs. That kinda makes sense.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've always used the entire stock GM line set from a 73-87 truck. From the master cylinder to the prop valve all the way to the calipers and to the junction on the frame rail for the rear brake line. It all bolts straight in without mods. No bending, flaring, or cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I've always used the entire stock GM line set from a 73-87 truck. From the master cylinder to the prop valve all the way to the calipers and to the junction on the frame rail for the rear brake line. It all bolts straight in without mods. No bending, flaring, or cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes but I have the narrower rear axle in mine, so I'd have to swap that out and get it individually. I'm just wondering what guys who have the power drums all the way around do when they swap in power discs. Looks like Inline Tube has a disc swap kit I hadn't seen before. Sweet! Part # CTB67D4. Same price too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Not at all.

There is a junction on the inside of the frame rail in the rear brake line. You change it from there forward and leave the back section alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
69SCSS

Quote:
Not at all.

There is a junction on the inside of the frame rail in the rear brake line. You change it from there forward and leave the back section alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
True. Except I don't have any brake lines at all. There were kinks all over the place on them. Not gonna even chance that!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SCSS View Post
I'm gonna buy your whole damned truck, man. LOL!!!

Actually when it comes to stuff like the master cylinder and stuff like that I'd rather get something new... kinda like getting used tires, I'd rather start fresh than use something of unknown condition... who knows how long the seals will last, etc. I'll grab the prop valve from you though I don't think those go bad!

From the diagrams on the web I have found and on the LMC catalog, they look like they are routed the same for power drums or discs. That kinda makes sense.

Sold that last night.. $20, you missed out my friend...

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

Here is a 63 model truck I built. The entire brake system from master cylinder out through the prop valve, lines, front hoses, and calipers are stock 1980 truck. I didn't have to build a single line. It all bolts in.

The hoses bolt right through the frame rails to the stock 1980 model lines. I used new braided hoses, but they're stock 73-87 truck fitment to match the rest of the new system.

There is a single line that runs across the frame and back down the rail to the rear brakes. There is a junction about halfway down the frame rail in that line. I broke it there and bolted the 1980 model line to the stock 63 model rear half. From there back, its all stock 1963 lines and rear brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
69SCSS

Quote:
Sold that last night.. $20, you missed out my friend...
It's all about timing!!! LOL!!!

No biggie, looks like I can pick up a master with a prop from a few places. Just money either way!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
RichardJ

Ditto what Tx Firefighter is telling you. It is such an easy bolt-on, it is hard to understand why more people don't do it. It hides the combination valve down on the crossmember, under the radiator. I used all the front lines from the '76 I took the discs from.
In his picture that shows the brake line going through the frame, those holes were already there on my '67. I had to drill them larger. The in-line coupling on the rear line is just as he described it. I recall that it is under the pass side floor board.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Fastest32

Quote:
Here is a 63 model truck I built. The entire brake system from master cylinder out through the prop valve, lines, front hoses, and calipers are stock 1980 truck. I didn't have to build a single line. It all bolts in.

The hoses bolt right through the frame rails to the stock 1980 model lines. I used new braided hoses, but they're stock 73-87 truck fitment to match the rest of the new system.

There is a single line that runs across the frame and back down the rail to the rear brakes. There is a junction about halfway down the frame rail in that line. I broke it there and bolted the 1980 model line to the stock 63 model rear half. From there back, its all stock 1963 lines and rear brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds too easy! Do you have any pics of how you mounted the prop. valve? I'm gonna start my swap in the morning and have been putting it off because of the whole brake line dilemma. I have a 64 longed. Do you think I need to find a longed to get the lines off of?
Posted via Mobile Device

GO SPURS GO!!!
Fastest32 is offline   Reply With Quote