The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Mister laugh

What do you guys think?

Well i have wanted a blazer/jimmy since i was 14. And was actively looking for an acceptable 67-72 of any kind from when i was 16 to just after i turned 18, when i found my truck for a good deal. When i was looking i came across a very very rough jimmy...... no engine/tranny had rust through the rocker boxes and rockers and such. No interior, cut dash double wall top. I looked on the glove box door sitting in it (not sure if it was original but it may be because the truck had a clutch peddle and was the proper ocher color) and it was originally Ochre, 4spd, 350 and am radio. it also said cheyenne on it(mabey it's really a chevy?). Any way back to the point, when i first saw it the guy wanted way way too much money for it($2500). I saw it about 4 months ago in a different location, perhaps a dirrent owner seeing as he has quite a few chevy trucks sitting around there it was for $1500, and was alot more interested in the rust free 72' burb next to it. Both left my mind quickly when I realized i had no more money for another project. Today i had to pass the place where it's sitting again, and it's still there stopped to look, and can't seem to get it out of my head it's like it wants to come home with me. How hard is it to bring a fairly rust tub back to life? I'm thinking i should suck it up bring it home, throw the tub in my garage take the rest to the cabin and make it a rust free tub over winter, the worry about drivetrain next summer.

I forgot to mention its sitting on 3/4 ton axles that i couldn't identify. Pictures possibly to come if i decided to make the 20 min drive with a camera.
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: What do you guys think?

If your going to buy it, pay considerably less than $1,500. From you description it's going to take a ton of money and sweat equity to get it driveable. If your description is accurate with it being gutted interior wise and drivetrain wise, you're really just buying a set of axles and alot of work. Think of all the things your going to need to get this vehicle driveable and it all adds up to that vehicle being worth zero as it sits.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

I'd say pass.... I've seen running/driving blazers in way better shape than you've described for 1500.00. It'd be worth the wait to find a driver.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
If your going to buy it, pay considerably less than $1,500. From you description it's going to take a ton of money and sweat equity to get it driveable. If your description is accurate with it being gutted interior wise and drivetrain wise, you're really just buying a set of axles and alot of work. Think of all the things your going to need to get this vehicle driveable and it all adds up to that vehicle being worth zero as it sits.
Sorry i forgot to mention that he now wants $900 for it. And it appears to be one of those places that like to flip though old chevy trucks fast, and this opne is just sitting there. I was thinkin of offering $600ish and seeing where it goes, the frame is solid, and that seems fair for a set of axles and a solid frame. If i do decided to buy it it will be a slow slow low budget junkyard and tractor paint "resto"(think hgs_notes). The sort where i go to the local yards every week and take what I need to make it work. wait for deals on parts type thing. Up here in Canada blazers and jimmys are alot more rare than dow there in the US, and command alot more money.

Last edited by Mister laugh; 06-24-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
k-nuts

"Today i had to pass the place where it's sitting again, and it's still there stopped to look, and can't seem to get it out of my head it's like it wants to come home with me."

JMHO: don't let emotions get in the way. Look at the big picture and be realistic. I know its hard to do. I think we've all been there. But it's much more frustrating and heartbreaking to get a POS on emotion and not be able to get it where you want. Only you know what you are capable of.
k-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
lks dcvn

- I have picked through many of these trucks to find a decent one...

Have patience and the right one will come up...trust me - spending a bit more and having to do less once you own it - makes up for it.

Good luck in your search!
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I love junk, if you walked up with 400 cash and he accepted i'd say get it. I wouldn't pay anymore personally, 600 is too much. If you pay 400, the extra 200 can buy a lot of body parts, it sounds like you're gonna need them.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
71swb4x4

To me you have described something that is WAY too far gone to restore. For $2,000 you could buy one that is running and be light years ahead. Or spend $4,000 on one that is running and has a somewhat solid body.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
1tonblaze

i got a good deal on both of mine . both are basket cases in there own right . buy one with the less bit of work so you can enjoy it and not be flat broke when you are done . stay away from something that has been micky moused alot in its life . thats the problem i have with both of my blazers .
1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
BLUE THUNDER

I wld def listen to some of the guys here. The old addage "money talks" applies here. show up with cash and a killer attitude. "I'll take it right now as is" followed by a flash of the cash usually does the trick for me. If he wants more use the rust and the hacked dash as bargaining chips. Either way, you're probably going home with a jimmy/Blazer. Later, Mario.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I agree with most of the others here about possibly trying to find a better one to start with. You mentioned the place it is sitting has alot of old truck laying around so surely he has some spare parts as well. I will say this, if you ARE set on getting this one, make sure the guy throws in a motor or transmission or transfer case or something else that you would need to get it up and going.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Definitely post some pics if you can to help us know what the condition is. The rusted out rocker boxes/torsion boxes is a very bad sign. If you haven't done some reviewing here, take a few minutes to look at some of the posts on what it takes to fix K5's with bad rust - it is a daunting task, much worse than fixing a rusty truck.

I know what you mean about K5's being hard to find. You hardly ever see any on the road where I live and maybe see one in the paper one to two times a year - but, they are out there.

If that K5 is as bad as you say and you really want it, I'd start with no more than $200 cash in hand. The axles are worth about $200-300 by themselves but in my opinion the frame adds little value if it is stripped of the drivetrain.

I bought mine in the condition shown in this picture minus it's transfer case for $650 and drove from Wichita, KS to Dallas, TX to retrieve it - it was worth the drive as the rust is pretty much limited to the rocker panels (not rocker boxes) and a bit on the driver's floor. Oh, the seller failed to mention the motor had a bent rod!

Deals are out there, but you gotta be patient - this one didn't come along until about 2 years after I started to seriously start searching for a K5.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
DANTES JIMMY

i wont tell you not to because here in indiana rust free one are not out there you gotta go west or south
so when you look at one here it is just part of it
i would say 400.00 if you are lookin for a project
if yo are wantin a resto piece i would walk on and keep lookin it is to far gone
fly in to arizona and find a driver and drive it home or seattle
bouncy keeps listing some sweet buys off of seattle craigs list
hell i think there like squirrels out there
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
lks dcvn

I had to have my (well bouncytruck's and Obsessive23's old ) 69' Blazer shipped from WA state to me - the cost of rust repair vs shipping - the shipping was cheaper -

I have never seen another on the road in my area - I think I am the only one.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister laugh View Post
If i do decided to buy it it will be a slow slow low budget junkyard and tractor paint "resto"(think hgs_notes).
Thanks for the mention, I think.

I did mine on a lark. I just wanted something to work on. But even I started out with more for quite a bit less. If you know you're going to have the cruise junkyards for parts, I'd reckon you might find a better donar at the yard. I know where one is now that is more complete than you described and I wouldn't expect to pay more than scrap value. A good title though has some value too.

If you really want it, and you have some cash, and you have realistic expectations, no one here will criticize you for trying to save a blazer, even as a beater.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote