The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
zerotoredline

lowering questions

let me first of say hi guys im new to the forum.. just sold my 92 dodge stealth twin turbo all wheel drive and am buying a 68 gmc long bed... i have been doing some research on lowering the truck and this may sound odd but what is the cheapest way to lower the truck 4 or 5 inches?

i looked and found a kit for 600 i belive was a 4 or 6 inch drop but then i looked at air bag setups... i believe (correct me if i am wrong) i found one for 1300? but how much room does the setup take from the bed area?...

so in a nutshell...
1. whats the cheapest way to get lowered?
2. how much room does the air bag setup take in the bed?

Thanks in advance
Josh
zerotoredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: lowering questions

A spring swap is the cheapest route, but isn't adjustable and you can only go about 6" down in the rear (with a bolt-in notch) without interfering with the bed floor.

You can still use bags for the adjustability and as long as you don't go lower than 6" you can still maintain your stock bed. The compressors, tanks and valves can be mounted underneath the bed floor.

Anything more that 6" drop will require some careful frame mods, and much more expensive components such as drop-members, lowered control arms, lowered spindles, watts links, etc, etc. It will also mean either cutting a big ole hole in your bed floor for a bridge-notch, removing the floor altogether, or raising the bed floor to clear the added-on bracketry.

It's not the method of lowering that forces us to sacrifice our bed floors...it's how much we lower that dictates this.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
zerotoredline

yea i deff do not want to touch the bed or frame.. so i could bolt a basic air bag kit on and bolt everything under the bed and raise the truck and lower it?

where could i find such a kit?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I say check with www.airbagit.com and check out their options. But essentially you can use airbags in place of the coil springs. When they are deflated the truck will drop until the frame sits on the bump stops. When it's time to drive- pump up the bags to raise the truck. Depending on how much air you pump in determines how high the truck rides (within the bags limits)and how stiff the suspension is. The bags are the cheap part- its the compressors, valves and controller that crank up the price.

Good luck to ya' and post up some pics when you get a chance- we're all whores for photographs!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

First thing you need to do is to determine if your new GMC has coil spring or leaf springs in the rear. They were available with either.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
SCOTI

Here's some sites to give you an idea on stuff that works for these trucks......
Dropmember.com
RideTech.com
Early Classic Enterprises
Classic Performance Products
McGauhys
DJM

No cutting of the frame means no need for bags all around (unless you just have to have a bagged ride). You can do a static front drop w/some rear bags to still use it as a truck while getting a nice ride (like factory but better).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
zerotoredline

thanks for the help thus far guys! i am going to pick her up tomorrow and will be sure to check on what suspension is under the rear...

as for not doing bags all the way around and just in the rear...i would still have to have a compressor and all that jazz to control them.. the main reason i want bags is to keep a good ride while i am lowered..

but if you are saying i can get a good ride without bags then i am all ears