The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Constructor1

New Member - first restoration project!

Hello all!

I just recently picked up a 1970 C10 LWB as my very first resoration project and luckily found this great site. I find so much insperation just from reading the threads and looking at the pics - WOW some really great trucks!

First pic is the truck I got for the project, i think there is a lot of potential. The second truck that is wrecked is also a '70 c10 that I picked up as a parts truck. It was from an original owner who purchased in late '69 and one night in a storm a large cotton wood tree fell over and crushed the truck and the old man's heart. I found log books detailing every fuel stop, oil/filter change, repair and parts replacement - everything documented. Unfortunantly after the tree fall, the truck was left sitting to rot. The front clip is 95% perfect shape and I wanted to use the 350 as my project has a 307 with a piston slap. Once I had all the tin off I found what I believe to be a sm465 4 speed and a 12 bolt positrac with leaf spring rear suspension and duel saddle tanks. I am now confused as to which way to go. Should I just put the 350 in my project with the TH350 or put my body panels on the frame with the 4 speed and posi rear end? What might the pro's and con's of each set up be? Any comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long windedness - I have so many questions that I think I will spend a lot of time picking everyone's brains.
Attached Images

Constructor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Valhalla

Re: New Member - first restoration project!

nice stuff man. looks like a solid start. I'm doing my first c10 as well.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
jeremy zander

Welcome...Nice start....Good info here..rear and read some more..
1972 chevy 3/4 4x4 383/350 dads original farm truck tilt,tach,tow hooks,hubcaps,radio delete,heat delete
2006 chevy LBZ crew cab duramax,4 inch,beadlocks
2015 chevy tahoe Z71 my fifth one,love em
2016 chevy 2500HD Z71 LTZ duramax midnite
2018 chevy suburban Z71 midnite
jeremy zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I guess it would depend on whether you wanted your numbers on the cab and frame to match or not. If you put your sheet metal on the other frame you could get it all cleaned up and painted before the swap. I've swapped sheet metal on two different trucks with no problems. I don't know what your plans are for the truck but over the long haul you may wish you had the auto trans. As bad as that cab is smashed I would check that frame very close. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bent or bowed.

Oh, and to the board.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
Constructor1

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have and will be doing tons of research on this site.

LockDoc - I am not looking for #'s matching on this truck. I am wanting to take the LS9 from the parts truck and rebuild with some mild to medium horsepower if that makes since. Maybe a cam, intake and carb, headers and dual exhaust - nothing too radical, and a nice custom interior and new paint. You also make a great point about possible frame damage - will have to look closer at that.

Just to clarify my "skills" - I am very mechanically inclined, but have never done this sort of project before. I have changed out transmissions and clutches on my personal vehicles and done the basics, oil and filter, breaks, tune ups, etc... But this will definanatly test my abilities. The one thing I have on my side is that I have more tools than I need, much to my wifes dismay!! The engine rebuild will be a first for me - so still researching what direction to go with that. Just looking for a fun ride with some desent torque.

I may just try and sell the m20 tranny and posi rearend - will have to put more thought into that one as well. Is the posi worth trying to utilize? I am not even sure at this point what is in the project truck nor what gears are in the posi.

I have been taking lots of pics and would like to start my own build thread. Should I wait until I am further down the road to do that?

Again, I am exited to be a member of this site and look forward to getting to know you guys throughout the coming project and beyond.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
67chevy1series

im doin my first to!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Constructor1

Great to "meet" others like myself. How far along are you 67Chevy?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
67chevy1series

take a look at my build there is a link in my signature
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
c10seconds

Im just down the street!

Welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Constructor1

Rick, I will definantly give your build thread a read. I glanced at it quickly and it looks like you did or are doing a great job.

C10Seconds - Indeed we are close. I am in North Phoenix. Would love to see your truck in person some time. Did you do all the work? How long did it take?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
67chevy1series

thanks constuctor!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
Jeffs70

Hey welcome to the board, Glad to see your project, Looks like your going in a good direction.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote