The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
thepenguin99

Calling 454HO, Vortec BBC install help needed!

Your PMs are turned off or I would annoy you through that medium. I did a search of your posts but I couldn't find what headers you are using. I ended up ordering Hedman 68610 which is a shorty header for various cars because I read a post that they fit big block squares without hanging down below the frame. To make a long story short they aren't fitting but are somewhat close.

After reading your post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...er+motor+mount . I am thinking the use of the stock vortec 454 pieces that bolt to the block + 305 mounts is my issue. My headers are literally pushing against the frame on the pass side and hit the piece bolted to the block on the drivers side. I might be able to get them to work with a grinder but I don't want to go down that path unless I have to. The help I need is I am hoping you still have the pics from that thread lurking around somewhere and could repost them for me. Almost 3 years old so you may not have them but it would be awesome if you did.

Last edited by thepenguin99; 11-17-2010 at 10:00 PM.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
454HO

Re: Calling 454HO, Vortec BBC install help needed!

Hey Penguin, I don't frequent this board as often as I used to, but I do check in from time to time.

I used to upload all my pictures to the web space that my internet service provider gave me. Well that ISP went belly up and all my posted pictures went with them. I should still have them, but they are on a different computer. I will try and dig it out this evening and re-post them for you.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
454HO

Here are all the pictures from that thread in the same order.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
thepenguin99

Thank you! Those pics are very helpful. I got under my truck and measured my vortec 454 cups vs the 305 cups and sure enough they were a good 3/8" shorter. That is probably at least part of the reason my headers are giving me hell. Unfortunately, I don't have parts from an older BB so I am going to try to use the 305 clamshells and cups on the 454.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote