The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

Radio options

I have a 70 Chevy Reg Cab Longbed.

The dash hasnt been cut yet (that I can tell) So what are my audio options? I am kinda not wanting to cut anything yet. Also what are my options for a sub? There any room behind the seat and I think I need a gas tank more. Any where else to put it or do I have to wait till I relocate the tank?
pebbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
TomShilling

Just had this talk yesterday... heres the scoop:

Someone used to make overhead panels in place of where the factory headliner would go with several speakers, but they are no longer made. You can cut the kick panels, but they are too thin for any 4 or 6 inch speaker: the back end would be outside in the wheelwell. There is some room behind your head, if you are less than 5 feet tall: some mount in the corner of the cab between the rear glass and door glass...but I am too tall for that option. The best option I have found is the kick panel insert (offered frequently on ebay and some board vendors). It fits over the kick panel, can be painted, and does not require moving the bright pedal or bending the e-brake pad. You can also use the speaker in the center of the dash. Yes, under the seat is a viable option, too if you want to really boom. Custom-made is the key there. As far as radios, cut the panel or put it in the glove box. My truck is going to stay in the family, so I had no issues cutting to insert a din receiver for a CD player. I am budgeting now for the kick panel speakers, $131 delivered (ebay pricing). Plenty to choose from if you don't mind cutting the original opening for a radio, but You must decide if you will do that or not.
TomShilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

I run a JL audio 12" sub in my center console, two 5.25" mids and two 4" highs in my door panels, not the doors, the panels.

Funny thing is if ya got in Screamin' you would never see any of it.

I still have my original tank in the cab as well.

I plan on running 2 more 6x9s under the seat in a custom box as soon as I pull it again...

Last edited by screamin_c102; 03-25-2005 at 11:01 PM.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When I bought my son a '69, he wanted a CD receiver. So, I had to cut the dash to install it. Used a dremel tool, and made four very carefully crafted cuts to create the opening for the din mount. I kept the pieces I cut out, in case anyone wanted to restore the dash.

Now, here I am, really wanting some of my CD's to be making sounds in my cab, while I drive. There are 2-shaft radios that we can buy, but the CD changer has to be put somewhere else. I plan on keeping my gas tank in the cab (as expensive as gas is, I want it as close to me as possible).

So, I am now trying to decide.....cut the dash, or not? I don't have a show truck, although it was fairly well optioned, when new. It ain't no CST, but it was close. It weren't no big block, either. But, it is a SWB. I don't think it will ever be show quality, but the longer I keep it, the closer I'm getting to have it be worth as much as I have in it.

Good question, though...I just don't know the answer for you or me.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

I wanted to get a 68-72 to drive a bit and work on to eventually make a show truck out of it. Its gonna take alot of work to get it to show truck status but just having bought it a few days ago I'm kinda not wanting to just start cutting just yet. With that being said The radio in it now isn't working and I HAVE to put something there.

Ahhhh to cut or not????
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Cut, you can always weld it back later

Make the truck the way you want it.

If you need music then by all means make it comfortable and safe. Leanin clear across the cab to pop a CD in the glovebox is not safe.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10
Cut, you can always weld it back later

Make the truck the way you want it.

If you need music then by all means make it comfortable and safe. Leanin clear across the cab to pop a CD in the glovebox is not safe.
Not even if I promise to close my eyes while I do it?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

If it's bothering you that much to cut, don't. Find an alternate method.

Two possible options:
1) Install any shaft radio you can find - Sanyo has one right now on the market at several places or you can check auto parts stores, they usually have displays setup with Kraco/Audiovox/Rampage stuff - and get a CD changer with an FM modulator.
2) Install a unit with remote control under the dash in a box or something (someone is bound to make the bracket). Mount the remote somewhere close just in case the stereo is out of reach.. You can even get a direct-wired CD changer and mount it in the dash or something.

I agree with the others though - stereo manufacturers suck. It's hard to get a good shaft radio these days. Carefully saw the pieces out with a thin blade so they can be welded in later if needed.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #9
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Lol
Old 03-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I give up

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:50 AM   #11
roj2323

humm a thought just came to mind. if you're dead set on keeping your tank in the cab how about having the tank shortened. you could have a radiator shop lop a foot off of the passenger side of the tank and then you would have room for the 10 disk changer at least.
just a thought,
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
GMC AMI

Mini I-pods ROCK and go truck to truck!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

There have been a few board members who have used the bass tube in the passenger side cab corner for bass sound's.. I fy ou dont want to cut the dash get a factory counsel and mount the cd player in that ...Just some info..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
purple gas

Mike has the best Idea. You can buy a decent AM/FM radio with audio outputs, (Scott's super trucks has one $260 Canadian- about $200 US- even has a GM or Chev logo on it and bolts right in) that an an I-pod or other MP3 player with a mini fm transmitter. For the price of a CD changer you can buy the mp3 setup & take it anywhere & they hold a kajillian songs, so your CD's stay safe at home.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #15
shifty
Questionable

I just saw something somewhere today, some new ipod-ready stereo for sale at crutchfield or something. Not sure, would hafta look it up again. I guess it has ssome way to interface with an ipod and you can control the ipod using the stereo or its supplied remote.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:53 AM   #16
69 Short Fleet

The "Best" twin shaft am/fm cassette deck ever made (IMO) is the Pioneer KEX-50. Was available in @ 1982 had a price tag of @ $400-$450- cnd and put out O watts (no interal amp). This head hooked up to a Pioneer GM - 7 (7 band eq) and 2 Pioneer GM120 amps to 4 6X9 speakers. The sound quality was INCREDIBLE (for old school stuff) the spl was also decent.Talk to any car audio installer (thats been around awhile) and they will remember this equipment. Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote