The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2024, 02:44 AM   #1
Leinhit

Fuel tank recommendations for holly sniper II

1960 apache c10 with a Chevy 350

I have decided to go with a sniper 2 EFI unit for my project. I have already purchased it.

I do not have the original behind the seat gas tank any longer it was rusted out.

But I am lost on what type of fuel tank or fuel cell I should be using with this setup, I don't mind having a fuel cell sitting in the box of the truck. But is it possible to get a new behind the seat fuel tank and still find an in tank high pressure pump and sending unit for the sniper unit?

I prefer an in tank pump but I'm lost why a fuel cell that uses an exterior pump is only about $200. But the moment I look for a fuel cell with an in the tank pump it gets up to $1,000

What am I missing or what do you suggest? I was told to buy a regular $200 fuel cell and cut a hole to put in in tank pump in it, I'm not familiar with this but what setup would you use if you recommend this?

I would rather have a kit that is all ready to go but price is an issue.. $1,000 for a fuel tank and pump and a few lines seems like a lot if I could get it down to half that..

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here but my searching hasn't helped much.. the Holly website offers retro gas tanks with everything you need in it but of course not for a 1960 Chevy pickup

Advice and recommendations are appreciated

Thank you

Last edited by Leinhit; 05-03-2024 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Leinhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Fuel tank recommendations for holly sniper II

You could source a 'remote' fuel surge tank that are available for retro EFI set-ups.

They are a small remote mounted tank w/a high pressure fuel pump in it that feeds the EFI supply/return. To supply the surge tank, you can use your old school mechanical fuel pump (it basically becomes a transfer pump). The high psi pump then picks-up the fuel transferred over @ low psi & sends it to the throttle body @ the correct/required psi.

Or.... There are many aftermarket in-tank solutions for rear or bed mounted tanks.

The 'behind the seat' tank w/an 'in tank' pump can be done but I don't know of any 'kit' to get it done. Keep in mind if you opt for that you get to listen to the pump if you're wanting that. Many opt for an inline external pump under the cab & add a return line to the tank (again, no 'kit' that I'm aware of).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:23 AM   #3
Leinhit

I appreciate the reply,

I think I can't get everything I want, it's one or the other.

For ease of insulation and cost it's probably going to be best to get a external fuel cell and mounted in the bed on top since my new exhaust runs between the frames straight out the back and they are in the way. The only other answer I came up with is cut my exhaust and turn it to come out behind both rear wheels freeing up the area between the frame back there for a tank, but I really don't like the idea of cutting brand new exhaust off..

And an exterior fuel pump is probably going to be best in this case and maybe a future upgrade can be done.

I would like the tank behind the seat but I need the high pressure system and not sure how to rig up a return line to it. And as you pointed out I don't want it pump right behind my seat listening to that the whole time.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:40 AM   #4
SCOTI

Low psi external electric pumps have been used for years w/o issue. High psi rated pumps are put through the ringer in comparison because they generate a lot more heat. This is where an internal survives longer because of the reduction in temp.

Try the external inline & see how it goes. My bet is if you drive it a lot, you'll do an internal set-up @ some point. Since you're using a sbc, the remote surge tank is the combo I would consider.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...0aAq_YEALw_wcB
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
verdell

I was able to use a '92 S10 Blazer tank in the rear of my '60 Apache. It's 20 gallons, F/I ready with a built-in pan/bowl and the sending unit will accept an AC Delco EP381, Walbro, or even Aeromotive fuel pump. Another OEM option would be an '87-'95 GM full size van F/I tank. I'm currently installing this one in a '66 short bed.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #6
Leinhit

See that's really the best answer the only thing holding me back is I have my brand new dual exhaust running right through there...

I'm just having a hard time coming to terms cutting the exhaust and maybe turning them out behind the rear wheels...

I know overall it's probably a dumb reason to hold back, but it was just so expensive and then to go and cut it...

But I like your idea and suggestion.. did you get a junkyard used one or did you buy a brand new one somewhere?

I see Holly and others offer retrofit gas tanks all set up for fuel injection but of course they don't have one for a 1960 Chevy... I started wondering if some other year or model that fits behind the seat that they happen to have would work but I didn't play around with the various years and models to see what's out there yet
Old 05-07-2024, 12:55 AM   #7
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

69 Camaro tank here with a Holley drop in fuel pump in my 66. No return line required and filler neck behind a fold down plate.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:12 PM   #8
bnorth

I think it will be tough to make an in-tank pump work in the in-cab fuel tank. One it will need a unique, smaller opening to fit it all through, two it will need a very long hanger, three that tank is not baffled so when low on fuel it will slosh away on turns and starve the pump.
I would find a tank that mounts between the frame rails under the bed and then use a Tanks Inc PA series in tank pump. This eliminates the slosh issue too. https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...prod/prd84.htm
Old 05-07-2024, 09:59 PM   #9
Tpo

Verdell, can you tell us more about your setup? You have a short bed, correct? So there should be even more room in a long bed, am I correct to assume that? How is your exhaust routed? Where did the fill hole for the tank end up?
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:27 AM   #10
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinhit View Post
See that's really the best answer the only thing holding me back is I have my brand new dual exhaust running right through there...

I'm just having a hard time coming to terms cutting the exhaust and maybe turning them out behind the rear wheels...

I know overall it's probably a dumb reason to hold back, but it was just so expensive and then to go and cut it...

But I like your idea and suggestion.. did you get a junkyard used one or did you buy a brand new one somewhere?

I see Holly and others offer retrofit gas tanks all set up for fuel injection but of course they don't have one for a 1960 Chevy... I started wondering if some other year or model that fits behind the seat that they happen to have would work but I didn't play around with the various years and models to see what's out there yet
If I'm not mistaken, Boyd's makes a nice 60-62 frame mounted EFI tank as well. When I was running the small block, this first GM van tank was sourced from the junk yard and it worked fine for years. After I went EFI, I just looked for a EFI GM van tank to replace the carbureted tank I had been running. The newer EFI van tank worked fine but hung a little too low underneath the truck for my taste, so I replaced it with the shallower S10 Blazer tank. Either one of these tanks are really inexpensive at junk yards or can be delivered to your door for less than $130. They can even be found in newer "poly" versions for a little bit more. Straps & sending units are extra.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #11
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpo View Post
Verdell, can you tell us more about your setup? You have a short bed, correct? So there should be even more room in a long bed, am I correct to assume that? How is your exhaust routed? Where did the fill hole for the tank end up?
Thanks!
Yes, my '60 is a short bed fleetside. Because I'm still running torsion bars, the muffler shop had to get creative with routing the exhaust, so it doesn't tuck as close to underside of the truck as I'd like. For the next phase, I plan on redoing the exhaust with frame cutouts to address that but for now it works fine. Currently running 2.5 inch with Magnaflows dumping right out back. The fill hole is currently in the bed floor towards the driver's side. Years ago, I had the filler mounted in rear wheel tub. I plan on going back with that set up after my new Oak bed wood is installed.
Attached Images

Last edited by verdell; 05-08-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:09 PM   #12
Tpo

Thank you verdell. Nice to know the exhaust can still run to the rear. I imagine it gets pretty loud in the cab with them dumping in front of the tires whenever folks go that route.
Is the tub fill harder to fab than the more common bed fill?
Thanks!
Old 05-09-2024, 04:13 PM   #13
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpo View Post
Thank you verdell. Nice to know the exhaust can still run to the rear. I imagine it gets pretty loud in the cab with them dumping in front of the tires whenever folks go that route.
Is the tub fill harder to fab than the more common bed fill?
Thanks!
I think dumping at the axle or in front of the rear tires would drive me mad or it's old age setting in!

No, it wasn't very hard. I took the entire fuel fill door from an '83-'94 S10 Blazer or another flat shaped fuel fill door, cut it out of the donor vehicle and welded it place on the wheel tub. Depending on the amount of space in the rear wheel housing, you'll need to modify a fuel neck or source what you need. This was at least 15 or so years ago and I don't have any photos..
Old 05-10-2024, 07:30 PM   #14
Tpo

Thank you verdell. This is a ways off for me but I’m trying to plan it out now.