The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
nsb29

Powder coated rust

Has anyone else had this problem installing my vintage air came to a screeching halt when I started seeing bubbles scraped it with my finger nail and it’s all peeling off I expected better I guess I need to pull the condenser support brackets as well
Old 09-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: Powder coated rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Has anyone else had this problem installing my vintage air came to a screeching halt when I started seeing bubbles scraped it with my finger nail and it’s all peeling off I expected better I guess I need to pull the condenser support brackets as well
Forgot the picturesName:  2EFD84CA-9ADB-4D8E-A12A-5AB60C08F600.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  39.2 KB
Old 09-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
roll_the_dice

Yours came powder coated or did you have them powder coated? Those two pieces on my vintage air didn't come powder coated. They came raw metal. I blasted and painted them...have had no issues. Have no issues with my condenser brackets either...
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
nsb29

No they came that way I would rather had raw metal I just spent two hours sanding it off and blasting them in the cabinet I had the condenser installed and the lines hooked up before I saw it on the firewall plate so I got my glasses and started looking it all over and realized that it was all that way I’ve never been a fan of powder
Old 09-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

I would contact them...apparently they have just started powder coating those parts. Here is an article I found on the VA website. I do some powder coating for personal stuff and have NEVER had it do that. I have done small parts, including brake calipers, etc. For the piece to peel like that, it had to be a bad batch or not cleaned correctly or something.

Here is the article about their process, but I would definitely contact them.

https://www.vintageair.com/vintage-a...owder-coating/
Old 09-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
nsb29

The only way to do it right is to sand blast the parts even then all it takes is a chip and rust crepe begins if you live in a humid area it won’t last manufacturer’s like it because it’s Non solvent and they don’t have to deal with the EPA and no dry time I can guarantee you these parts were never cleaned they went directly from stamping to powder Over the rust I have to contact them Tuesday as I was supposed to have a connection for my pressure transducer I will bring it up then One thing I thought was crazy is there is no grommet for the two heater hoses at the firewall they want you to use the heater hose it’s self as a seal and then caulk it if need ???
Old 09-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
roll_the_dice

I agree, it definitely looks like it was not prepped correctly for powder coating. I think a grommet should have been included as well, but the heater hose sealed mine up...it was hard to get the hose on deep enough to do it though.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
nsb29

And what did they save on two rubber grommets