The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
thedudeabides86

Speedo Cable and speedo gear box

Hi everybody.

I know there's been several posts on speedo cables not working and some are from years ago, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective on this. The speedometer on my '72 C20 had bounced sporadically in the past and I bought some Cable-ease to grease it and see if that solved the issue. I opened the end at the back of the speedometer and pulled the cable all the way out, lubed it, and slid it back in. Upon doing that, the needle doesn't bounce or even move now. I noticed the end of the cable at the trans is sorta squared. Does that need to be seated properly in the speedo gear box? How about at the back of the speedometer in the cluster? Is there propery "seating" that should be done?

Since the speedometer stopped moving altogether, I went down to the trans and pulled out the nylon gear at the gear box thinking maybe it was all work, but it looks fine. Do I need to get the to line up properly in the trans? if so, how do I do that correctly? It's set a ways into the trans housing that I'm not sure the right way to line it up. So, that's where I'm at. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.