The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
greywuuf

Two trucks 4 engines: help me choose

ok guys, here is the entire deal.

we will start with my '72 C10 lwb 4x4 Sporting a 383 stroker and Firebird based TBI injection ahead of a th700r4 built by Art Carr.

My father and I built the truck, frame off to be his daily driver to pull a small camp trailer in his retirement years. We got it together and started the tuning ( by tuning we took a cop car chip for the 350 make a few adjustments and away we went) My father passed away .. left me the truck and his '82 GMC Jimmy with 6.2 diesel.
Fast forward 5 years

The truck has never been tuned properly and is getting very hard to start and back fires alot ( probably ignition or vacuum leak, possibly a wiped cam or valve issues) and the Jimmy broke a wrist pin and ate the block.

I am keeping both rigs, the jimmy has a 3" lifft and would like to be my daily driver camping hunting towing snow mobiles carting kids around kind of rig.

The c10 I am keeping just because... no real use for it but it will be mild mannered and useable not a rod by any means.

I have these engines another 6.2 diesel, a 427 Tall deck (C60 project that wont ever see the light of day ) the 383 in the C10 and a '68 292 six (all stock )

help me choose which goes where ie: BIG block blazer.. what kind of mileage could I expect is driven sedately with an OD tranny ... 383 converted back to carb? Six with a top loader 4 speed in the C10 ? maybe a 5 speed tranny instead ?

also what would be the fastest way to get them both useable and working well again ? ( keeping in mind that the price of diesel and the long winters here has dimmed much of the diesel luster for me especially with the no longer supported 6.2) not saying it is out of the running, just not real enthused about it .

Discuss....
Dan
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: Two trucks 4 engines: help me choose

I'd do the C-10 with a carbed 383 first. Seems like that would be the easiest and cheapest option, and will get done quicker. If that doesn't quicken your pulse afterward, it will be in sellable condition and your can use the proceeds to do the next project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The tall deck BB won't be a performer. That's why it was in the big trucks. You couldn't pay me to use a 6.2L diesel. The 292's are cool... but it depends on what you want out of it. Great towing motor. The 383 with a carb would be my choice. How will you mount up a Ford toploader to the 383?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

But, that tall deck big block might be a torque monster in the 4WD....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That... is true!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
greywuuf

Sorry if I used the term "toploader" incorrectly, I am referring to a am 465, as compared to say a Muncie. Also I know the small port 427 will be a low end torquer. But that is really what I am after.
I don't know exactly what I am after. I don't think I want the 6 and a for speed in my daily driver but I really enjoy driving them from time to time.I am wondering what kind of mileage I could pull down with the big block in front of a 700r4.?
Posted via Mobile Device
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The 700R4 won't last very long behind that BB. They weren't designed to handle that kind of TQ. Unless you have some serious work done to it.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: