The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Exclamation Lock your trucks in Seattle!

ANOTHER TRUCK STOLEN NEAR SEATTLE!
I just learned that another truck has been stolen! This one is from Marysville, Washington; a 1971 GMC, bright orange, black/chrome trim package, white top, specialty plate #SMPL (Pearl Harbor Survivor). According to the King 5 report, Walter Bailey, who owns the truck, has had his garage broken into 8 times in the past couple of years and this time they got his chainsaw, a boat AND his truck. Will try to get more info as the day goes by.

What the He!! is going on around here?!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: Lock your trucks in Seattle!

Looks like there are getting poopular agian..... too bad people just cant go buy a cheap one .....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Boise69
The Hammer Man

After doing the hammer giveaway i was amazed on how many 67-72 truck owners there are up in the North West, seemed like 1/3 of the hammers shipped to the seattle area

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
jimmydean

That sucks. It's bad enough they stole his truck, but he's a Pearl Harbor Survivor for f@ck sake!

What is wrong with people.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
72dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
That sucks. It's bad enough they stole his truck, but he's a Pearl Harbor Survivor for f@ck sake!

No doubt
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
71chevylowrider

That really sucks, what scum bags!

Yes Boise, we really LOVE our trucks out here in the NW.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Well if you really want to know...

We are carnal in our nature...and an offense to God in our natural state.

Ben Franklin worried about the ccountry they were establishing in the Constituional Convention of 1787. He mentioned that no civilization starting as a free republic (individual freedom and rights) has ended up as anything but pure despotism. Along with agency and trus freedom we have those that think freedom means to take whatever you want from any one (they are after power, gain or freedom from justice at any cost to you and me)...when in essence that is the opposite of freedom.

OK...soap box put away.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)

Last edited by timcos; 12-29-2006 at 10:51 AM.
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

That should be my new year resolution...get the garage cleaned out so I can park the truck in there! I've had at least one theft attempt that my wife thwarted.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

May want to look into a grant steering wheel removal kit I got one for my yota and it works great............ Kinda pain to carry the steering wheel with ya and people look at ya funny but at least you know the truck will be there when ya get back.... Btw you might have to have a locking steering column for this not sure...... If anyone wants some pics let me know..

MEMBER #6377

Project "7DEUCE"

Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
whatnow123

This is the reason why I like electric fuel pumps on classic cars as they are to easy to steal even if it has an alarm. What I have done is put a cut off switch to the fuel pump and place the switch under the seat, use the cig lighter or something else not obvious to turn on/off the fuel pump. If they want your truck and they get the truck started, they get a block and it dies. 99.9% of the time they will abandon it when it won't re-start as they are now out in the open and have a ton of attention being drawn to them since it's in the street and possibly blocking traffic.

All theory since I haven't had a vehicle stolen, but I do put a switch in all my cars for this very reason. I'd rather have it back "all most stolen" then it being gone forever or found stripped.

Just my 2 Cents.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

my thoughts on this, the reason they are being stolen is simple...there is a big following for these trucks and everbody is looking for parts..but if they also had a good cab with a good title,,they could swap the cab and a cheap paint job and they got a good truck,,that could be driven anywhere in the country and sold...and some people dont ask questions if there is a really good deal on some parts..personally i always ask questions if it seems to good a deal to pass up..i learned this from when had my lawn care bussiness..you would be suprised how many guys will stop you while you are mowing and ask if you are in the market for a good mower or other equipement i use..i just always asked for a bill of sell,,a title or the original paper work that came with the stuff from the dealer...but on a truck with most of us swapping cabs,,frames,,motors,,,there really is no way to track down what is what on a truck any more..since alot of them nowlinger have the original parts on them...i definalty agree on the cut off switch to the elctric feul pumps..but you can also put in a switch between the key and the starter..even if they turn the key,,the truck just sits there,,it doesnt even ty to turn over..you have to know where the switch is to start the truck..but pls hide the switch,,dont make it easy to see or find,,and dont tell anybody where you put it...i will do both once i really get my truck up and running..but am also thinking towards a lojack or somthing like that to...i sure hope they find the sob that stole this pearl harbor suviors truck,,and then they should let some of other vets have him for awhile...man i hate thiefs,,but when you start messing with the vets,,i really have some good ideas on what to do with them....but even with everything we can do to keep them from taking our trucks,,,with a roll back or bom truck,,it can still be gone...just make sure you have good insurance on it,,not just through a reguilar company,,or once its gone you will get there replacment value,,which will be considerable less than you have in it..you got to make sure it is appraised and insureed for that value...ok im done rambling now..
billy
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
mac

Just let my son in Monroe know about this one. All the guys in his shop are still on the lookout for the white 4x4 that got ripped last month.

I gotta tell ya, the guys on this board are stand-up guys ! One of the members actually notified me about some parts that came off of my sons truck that was ripped in Bothell a couple of years ago. He didn't have to say anything but did and we're gratefull.

A theft makes ya wanna pull a gun but ya don't know who to shoot !

VERY frustrating.
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

ok i wasnt implying that the guys here would steal or try to get parts dirt cheap..but there are alot of these trucks out there,,who's owners are not memebers here that might..sorry if i implied that the memebers here would do that..
billy
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #14
bobthecop

If someone wants to steal your truck they will, All you can do is make it difficult. Same thing with your house, make it a difficult score. One nice things about your house is 2 big dogs deter 99.9% of burglars. You vehicle is different. The fuel cut off is great, so is a battery disconnect. but with being mobile, I have seen vehicles stolen using a wrecker. So beware of where you park, and be a difficult target, most thieves won't take the extra time. Time is their enemy. Use a system that is not commonly used, a lot of thieves work in the alarm industry, so a homemade device throws them. Fuel cut off, battery disconnect, steering wheel removal, shotgun under the seat, oh, just kidding.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
chevy71super

Lock your trucks in Seattle!

I have the Grant removable steering wheel on both my trucks. It works great, just make sure you use a steering wheel with the least amount of dish possible because it moves the wheel closer to you. My steering wheel fits under the seat if you slide the seat forward, place it under then slide it back. No one can see it and you don't have to carry it. I still do that here in Simi.

I parked my 72 at the Park & Ride right off I5 near Mill Creek for a couple of years with no incidents. Not sure if it was because the steering wheel was gone or just lucky. In any event they can still tow if they want it bad enough but no steering wheel will deter most thieves.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've looked into the Grant removable wheel kits. Do they work with any aftermarket grant wheel?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

yes they work with any grant wheel........ bouncy they only cost 100 bucks or less I think I paid 50 for mine but its been awhile and its cheap ins....

MEMBER #6377

Project "7DEUCE"

Old 12-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

btw you can kinda turn the wheels with the truck running but with it off you would have to be a strong s.o.b. to get the wheels to turn..

MEMBER #6377

Project "7DEUCE"

Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #19
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I'll keep my eyes open down here. This is why I always park the wifey's sub behind mine. Just in case...
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
btw you can kinda turn the wheels with the truck running but with it off you would have to be a strong s.o.b. to get the wheels to turn..
I don't have power steering and I manage. I wouldn't count on that one.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #21
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Someone is a REAL scumbum lowlife to steal another man's truck. I agree with all of the above anti-theft measures...removable wheels, ignition, electrical and fuel shut-offs, LoJack, and BIG DOGS.

I also agree that the best are DIY set-ups, as the commercial devices seem pretty useless. How many people pay any attention to a car alarm blaring for a couple minutes ('bout the time these guys need to get the vehicle snatched.)

Anyways...that's my $0.02, and I hope the guy gets his truck back.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #22
chevguy7

I will keep my eye out for it in Seattle. Is there any way we could get a picture of it posted on here? I am really starting to get tired of hearing about guys trucks getting stolen. I will definately have to invest in an alarm and other things to detur theives from my truck once it is done.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #23
ducmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy7 View Post
I will keep my eye out for it in Seattle. Is there any way we could get a picture of it posted on here? I am really starting to get tired of hearing about guys trucks getting stolen. I will definately have to invest in an alarm and other things to detur theives from my truck once it is done.
i've been thinking of the same thing. I finally put a GPS tracker/alarm on my trail rig, and I can track it anywhere. spendy but cool...i just wish I could afford one on my truck...time to save up.
ducmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #24
bobthecop

As a cop I cannot condone what I am relating, but the truth is the truth, burglaries go way down in a area when a home owner has shot and killed a burglar. So.......
I know it is illegal to set traps, but you know enough is enough.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #25
Stroker

I remember watching a TV program about a guy that owned a small stereo shop that had a severe theft problem. So bad he could he was about to go bankrupt and could no longer get insurance for his business. He came up with a really neat system that worked. His shop already had an alarm system that alerted police but the responce time was like 6 minutes and they would be in and out before the police showed. He built a smoke generating system that didn't leave any residue and packaged it inside of a speaker. It was set up with a one minute delay and would smoke to the point there was no visibiliy in a about 15 seconds. Crooks broke in smoke went off and they could not find their way out. Police arrived and off to jail. I bet if someone was sitting in your truck and it instantly filled with smoke they wouldn't be there long. I always thought it would make a cool defense system for an auto. I'll have to see what it would take to build something like this. I know they make smoke generators that can fill the main deck of a 747 in a matter of seconds. I wonder if smaller units are available that would work in a vehical.