The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
NF65Fleetside

My 65' and plans, ideas?

Hey guys, well I have a 65' Chevy C-10 and looking to make a 60's style custom out of it. Finally have the engine running smooth and ready to start doing all of the body and suspension mods. Now this wont be a fast build thread like most of you fabricating maniacs on here but I will try and keep posting with new mods and such here and there. Im still a newb wet behind the ears with this stuff, actually my first domestic project...sadly but still proud of, Ive built numerous hondas, the real way none of that Nopi/Kragen/Fast and Furious ****, so I can relate to a bunch of what you guys have done and that I see being built. This is just my first hands on old school ride and Im stoked on it! Since a kid I always wanted either a late 50's or 60's chevy truck and Im have'n a blast so far.
Ok, so in these pics are my main concerns as of now...dont laugh if they are super minor, like I said Im a newb. I just want to know if these rust spots and rockers are pretty much done and or salvagable. Since the suspension is my main concern right now, I want to just pull the minor dents and primer her down til paint prep comes. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks already to Victor and a few other guys on here with tips and help on her...Im call'n her project Trixxxie!

NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

Re: My 65' and plans, ideas?

Nice looking truck!

Me I would replace the rocker...

The door should be fixable, but you would need to sand it down to see how bad it actually is......

The truck looks tobe in good shape.... you scored a nice one!!!

and hey, nothing wrong with messing with Honda's.....Like I told my son, if you do the work yourself, you learn a lot that will last the rest of your life, unlike some kids, who don't take care of what they have because it was given to them.....

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
NF65Fleetside

Hey guys, just got a new alt. bracket from Summit Racing and it sits flush to the drivers side head...its for a short water pump, and I could have sworn thats what mine was but the pulleys are misaligned...any way of shimming the problem and or from the pics can you guys tell if I have a long water pump instead of a short one? Just trying to figure out what kinda $$$ Im look'n at to fix the problem.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
LIVE RUST
1966 Chevy/GMC Mongrel K10

Nice ride. Don't be alarmed, but the further you dig, the more you'll find. You're gonna need to get the seat and rugs, and weatherstrips off to see exactly what you'll need. My right rocker looked like that and I ended up replacing inner and outer rocker, repairing lower hinge pillar, replacing some floor in the rocker area and some minor kick panel repair. The doors are designed perfectly to rust in the lower corners. Like 64GMC said, you'll need to get all the paint off to see how bad it is. Pay close attention to the inner shell in the lower corners. Mine looked perfect and I found out the only thing holding it together was the paint. If you don't already know how to mig weld, get ready cause you're gonna learn. The truck looks sick now and it will be well worth it when you're done. Take your time and good luck.
LIVE RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
NF65Fleetside

thanks for the words, yah Im dreading taking the carpet up,lol...any thoughts as to a remedy for the alt bracket?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
19GMC63

if you can stivk your fingers behind it, its long.

One question, what's with the fans???
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
NF65Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GMC63 View Post
if you can stivk your fingers behind it, its long.

One question, what's with the fans???
Yah I believe it is a long pump at this point. My question now is, if I switch to a short pump can I just run the alternator pulley and water pump off the crank pulley groove closest to the block?.....As for the fan setup, I have that electric pull fan just incase i get into heavy traffic. The engine fan keeps everything nice and cool enough, but anyone whos from Los Angeles knows that our freeways are actually parking lots!lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
NF65Fleetside

Fixed the problem today, found out that long pumps place alternator on passenger side and short pumps have it on the drivers. So now Im in about $130 in the hole to fix a $15 problem....wrench and learn eh?!lol. I got a chrome exhaust manifold stock bracket for short pump and also the snazzy Summit head mount bracket as shown above for sale! hit me up through PM for a good deal.
Next on the agenda now that my trucks running is to get the exhaust finally redone. I have a nasty leak right at the flange and make-shift piping. Going to run 2.75" straight back . Will post pics tomorrow of current setup.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
fercho71

hey broo thats a sweet truck the guy that fix the body of my truck did a good job he cut that rusted unfix able parts and put new metal on it and it didn't charge much i paid $400.00 for my truck.
Maybe he can do something for your truck he can fix your truck over a weekend if u have family in TJ he can do it at their home, think about it and let me know

Fer

Last edited by fercho71; 11-06-2007 at 01:27 AM.
fercho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #10
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

Man.. barely caught this thread! Didnt notice it earlier. Anyway... lookin good man. I think the rockers are gone. Hopefully the floor is ok under the carpet. My doors looked similar and I just grinded it down and filled it with body solder. You know i have no welder so I do what works for me.

Thats some good alternator/water pump info by the way! Ok man... hopefully we can hang out tomorrow.

L8
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
NF65Fleetside

orale! Ill hit you up for sure Fercho, Ill be in diego next weekend...try and link up for a beer or something. Next month for sure Im down for the bodywork and primer.
Everything seems to be sound, more and more I work on her Im noticing that shes a solid platform. Will keep posted...Thanks fellas.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Since you don't have AC swapping sides with the alt isn't that bad. Just throw some more $$$s at it.

Another solution is to make a spacer for the bracket you have. But to do it right you need access to an end mill.

I made the mistake of putting a long pump on my 69. With AC I ended up buying a driver's side bracket from www.alangrovecomponents.com

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote