The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #1
TxCajun

Re: Wampus Cat

The bed panels have about 5 or 6 coats of old paint and primer, plus a few areas with heavy bondo.

I find that the Harbor Freight 4-1/2 In. Polycarbide Abrasive Wheels do a really good job of removing paint and rust, but they wear out quickly on heavy paint and shred quickly if you hit a rough area or a metal edge.

So, I've been using a Harbor Freight 3 In. Twisted Wire Cup Brush to remove the bondo and 80% to 90% of the paint layers, and then finish up with the Polycarbide Abrasive Wheel. The metal panel only gets slightly warm to the touch, and the result is a very clean finish.

Using this method, I was able to strip each side panel in about 2 1/2 hours.

I used two of the Wire Cup Brushes and two of the Polycarbide Abrasive Wheels to strip the exterior of the bed and both sides of the tailgate.

Highly recommend a dust mask, face shield (lots of flying debris), and hearing protection.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
TxCajun

On the Front Panel, I uncovered rust at the bottom of the upper double wall area. I was kind of surprised to find rust there because the rest of the bed panels are fairly rust free. And the rust is worse on the inside (facing the bed) than on the outside (facing the cab).

I'm thinking that it would be easier to repair this rust if the Front Panel was off the truck and it could be laid flat on a worktable. My bed has a steel tread plate floor that someone welded in place, including welds along the bottom of the panels where they meet the floor plate. I was able to grind off the welds along the bottom of the Front Panel and remove the bolts that secure it to the side panels, so it is now free to move. However, I can't "stretch" the side panels out enough to remove the front panel because they are also spot welded to the floor.

I guess I now need to decide whether to cut out those side-panel-to-floor welds to get some more room to release the Front Panel, or try to do the rust repair patch panels in place. Aaarrrrggghhh!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice work. Cool slide hammer build. Looks like a high end model now!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
TxCajun

Door Hinges Rebuild

I started to try to rebuild the door hinges a while back because they were very worn and had lots of play. However, I don’t have access to a press and was unable to drive out the hinge pins regardless of the amount of penetrating oil, or large-hammer force, or heat that I applied. I set the project aside, and gave some thought about how to approach this.

I decided on the following process and found that it worked fairly well. Once I figured out how to do it, I was able to rebuild the four hinges in under two hours.

1. I used parts from Classic Part Inc, Part No 18-406, Door Hinge Rebuild Kit, about $4 per kit. The new bushings appear to be oil impregnated bronze compared to the worn out nylon bushings that were in the hinges. The pins are about 1 inch too long so they need to be trimmed to length and beveled on the end.

2. I used a grinder and a cut off disk to cut off the sides of the old hinge pin head (while being careful not to cut the hinge) so that what is left of the head is about the diameter of the pin, and will fit inside of a socket. This “nub” helps locate the socket in the next step in the vise.

3. I then put the hinge with the socket over the “nub” in a vise and used the vise to push through the hinge pin the ¼” to 3/8” length of the protruding pin. This little bit of linear movement seemed to be just enough to break loose the decades of rust and the retention splines on the hinge pin.

4. Once the pin was broken loose in the vise, I was able to use a hammer and punch drive it through the rest of the way and disassemble the hinge.

5. I cleaned out the hinge bores with a round file, and dressed the mating surfaces of the hinge flanges with a flat file, then pressed in the bushings and reassembled the hinge.

6. The old nylon bushings were shot, and for some reason the hinge pins on the driver’s door were almost completely rusted through in the middle of the pin.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
The Rocknrod

Wow, nice work on those hinges.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
TxCajun

Bed Front Panel - Rust and Dent Repairs

You can buy a Bed Front Panel reproduction for about $250 to $280 delivered, but I thought I would try to repair the rust and dents on mine to salvage the original panel.

At some point in the past, someone installed a steel tread plate floor on the bed and welded the fenders/panels to that. I had to drill or grind welds that were attaching the bedside to the tread plate floor and remove the bolts securing the bedside panel to the fender well, but I was then able to maneuver the front end of the bedside sufficiently to remove the Bed Front Panel.

It appears that a critter may have established a residence in the top "tube" of the Bed Front Panel a long time ago, and there was corrosion in this area on both the cab-side and bed-side of the panel. Plus, there were also 1/4 to 3/8 deep dents on both sides of the top tube that had been filled with body filler.

I started by cutting out a 2”x18” rusted section from the cab-side, and tacked in a patch. I then tried to straighten the dented portion next to it but wasn't having much success because this is 16 gauge material. So, I cut out the 2 1/4” x 15” dented section, did what straightening I could for the adjoining areas, and then tacked in a straight patch to replace most of this dented section.

Once I had these patches tacked in place to strengthen this cab-side area, I flipped the Front Panel over to start addressing the rust on the bed-side of the panel.

The last picture shows the first cut out on the bed-side of the panel. I plan to make two patch panels about 22" wide for this rusted/dented area, based on the size of the scrap pieces of 16 gauge steel that I have, and what will fit in my bench top metal brake for bending. While the patch areas are cut out, I'll have some more access for trying to work the remaining dents in the top "tube" and work the backside of the patch panels already installed on the cab-side of the panel.

Stay tuned......
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #7
RDrancher

Following
Old 12-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
TxCajun

Bed Front Panel

I've been watching a series of YouTube videos by Fitzee's Fabrications and used some of his techniques from a video called "How to Grind welds on sheet metal" to finish these patches. I'm pretty happy with the way these turned out, but the metal on this bed front panel is 16 gauge so there is plenty of metal thickness to practice on.

Still working on the other side of this panel.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #9
TxCajun

Bed Front Panel

On the side of the Bed Front Panel that faces the bed, I needed to fabricate two patch panels with bends to replace dented and rusted areas.
The 16 Ga steel is too thick to bend in my bench top brake so I clamped it in a vise and hammer formed it over a section of 1/2 inch schedule 40 pipe, plus had to use a little torch heat for persuasion.
I made two panels about 24 inches long due to the size of the stock that I was able to buy.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
TxCajun

Bed Trim Holes

On each side of the bed, there are about 22 holes for mounting trim. The upper holes are about 3/8 inch and the lower holes are about 1/4 inch diameter. A previous owner filled in all of the holes with bondo, and apparently dented each hole with a ball peen hammer to add some thickness to the bondo patch.

I've decided I want to purchase and install the side trim eventually, so I cleaned out all of the bondo and re-formed the dented holes. This is a job for more than two hands, so my brother was working with me.

We made a tool with two ends, one for the upper 3/8 holes and one end for the lower 1/4 inch holes. The ends were made from 1/4 inch steel which we formed and ground to match the inner contour of the bed side, and welded a nut of the correct size to the back side of each end. The two ends are attached with a bar long enough to be able to position the threaded end behind the hole up inside the fender, and also hold the end from rotating.

For holes with relatively small indentations, we tightened a bolt and washer from the outside so that the contoured plate on the inside basically re-formed the curve of the fender around the trim hole by clamping force.

For holes with larger indentations, we clamped the plate using an eyebolt and nut, and used a slide hammer to work out the indentations.

The first picture shows a typical indented trim hole, and the last picture shows the re-formed trim hole. The pictures in between are the tool.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #11
TxCajun

Bed Side - Tops

The tops of the Bed Sides were kind of wavy...... In the middle, they were bent up in about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch curve which I think may have been done when someone tried to lift the bed without a proper support frame, and this bed is heavy due to its steel tread-plate floor. In other areas, the tops were bent down 1/8 to 1/4 inch apparently due to just damage from use as a truck.

We made up a jig with a 4x4, a couple of 2x4's, and a large c-clamp and worked it around on the tops of the side panel clamping it up or down slightly beyond yield to straighten it. I still need to weld and grind about a dozen holes in these areas that may have been used to mount a ladder rack (or something), but overall I think we got these pretty straight.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #12
The Rocknrod

Wow. Some nice work there, very ingenious problem solving.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
Android04

Killing it!
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:58 PM   #14
TxCajun

The Rocknrod, Android 04,

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Tailgate Straightening

So, the dents that I had repaired along the boxed section at the bottom of the tailgate apparently also caused a significant curve inward on that area.

The first two pictures show the bottom section of the tailgate compared to a 4 foot long straight edge.

The third picture shows the jig that I used for straightening (similar to what I used for straightening the top of the bedsides). The boxed tailgate is pretty stiff in bending and even with a couple of pieces of steel angle clamped along the bottom of the double 2x4's, the wood bent even more than the tail gate.

However, I was able to use the large c-clamp in the middle to bend the tailgate past yield and straighten it. After several incremental clampings and checking, the result is very straight as shown in the fourth and fifth picture.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #15
pdxhall

Very nice work on your tailgate.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:17 PM   #16
TxCajun

Shop Improvements

I've been doing all of my metal cutting for patches or fabrication with just a hand held grinder and cutoff discs. I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a metal cutting bandsaw for doing some of this work; the cuts would be more accurate and it would make less of a dusty mess than the grinder cutoff wheel. Metal bandsaws are pretty expensive for my limited use, but I started seeing online examples where handheld portable bandsaws were adapted to mount on a small stand with a table.

I found a much-used Dewalt bandsaw locally, took it apart, cleaned it up, and added new drive "tires" and a new blade to get it working well. Then I looked at about a dozen designs for stands on YouTube and picked the features that I liked the best. The stand that I made mounts the saw hanging it from its primary handle, and secures it in place with a single pin that also depresses the saw trigger. Pulling this single pin allows the saw to be removed from the stand and used in a conventional manner when needed.

The first picture below shows the frame in process. The parts on the floor next to the stand are the 1/4" thick scrap aluminum plate that I used for the table, and the electrical components that I mounted to provide an on/off switched receptacle. The frame is made of steel angle from old bed frames that I picked up on garbage/recycle days in the neighborhood.

The second and third picture shows the frame after I added a couple of 45 degree braces to resolve some torsional flex in the vertical part of the frame. Then some sand blasting and primer.

The fourth and fifth picture show the final assembly. The Dewalt saw itself weighs 17 lbs. Mounted on the frame, the total weight is probably between 25 and 30 lbs so it is easy to move to a workbench, or the floor, or a storage shelf.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2022, 01:07 AM   #17
cwcarpenter98

Yup, I need to build something like that for myself. I like your frame design better than some of the stuff I've seen out on the market. Thanks for sharing!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #18
TxCajun

These two cowl pieces are the last two body panels to strip and prepare for primer.

I think these are the only two panels on the whole truck that were not slathered in layers of Bondo covering dents, holes, and rust.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2022, 03:33 AM   #19
Braunschweiger

I'm thrilled, great solutions to the problems, your saw is great.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:48 PM   #20
TxCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
I'm thrilled, great solutions to the problems, your saw is great.
Thank you for your kind words.

By the way, my great-great-grandfather Peter Seiler (born 1828) and his wife Katherina Seiler (born Koehler 1829) emigrated from Ingenheim, Palatinate, Bavaria in the late 1840's and settled in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA which is where I was born.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:43 AM   #21
Braunschweiger

A few hundred kilometers away from me. There were bad times in Europe, famine and economic hardship forced Germans, French, Irish and Scots to leave their countries and start anew. I think the ancestors made a good new home.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 PM   #22
TxCajun

When I was installing the stock S10 upper mounts for the tailgate cables in Post #135 above, I just used a nut on the backside that was accessed through the taillight opening (long, slim fingers are helpful for this).

However, I’m trying to finish prep work for primer and decided these nuts were a pain to take on and off. So, I replaced these with some M8-1.25 rivet nuts.
I don’t have the $50+ installation tool so used a couple nuts and washers to fashion a tool.
Only had to work twice, but worked great.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #23
The Rocknrod

Good idea, if it works it works right?
Old 05-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #24
TxCajun

Well, at least I finished one project truck.......

The two grand-daughters aged 5 and 2 were outgrowing their little 6-volt red truck, and with only one under powered driven wheel it would never go well in the grass anyway.

Someone gave my daughter-in-law an old Power Wheels 12-volt, two drive-motor truck that had been sitting out in the weather for quite some time and was very dirty and faded. I took it apart, cleaned it, "restored" the sun-faded plastic by rubbing it with a 60/40 mixture of paint thinner and boiled linseed oil, cleaned up all of the electrical wiring/contacts, and added a decal kit.

Also found a junkyard GMC emblem for the tailgate so it matches their Daddy's truck.

The girls have a lot more room, and the truck got lots of use this past weekend in our one acre yard.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #25
Braunschweiger

Oh how nice, the ladies are sure to be proud of that

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread