The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Amp.gauge quit

OK,it had some help. I had a situation where the alternator would not charge unless I rev-d the engine way up before driving.Then I would get charging until next start-up.If I forgot to rev it up then the truck would just run on battery until dead. Took the regulator back to Autozoneout and it checked out good.I checked all wires and took the wires off the little black junction box by the battery and cleaned them up.Replaced the main red wire that runs along the top of the radiator because the insulation was bad.
>>now it seems to be charging but the Amp gauge is not working. I can't see from the wiring diagrams what I could have done wrong.It doesn't make sense.
>>So how does the wiring go to/from the amp gauge? Maybe I'll just run new wires,or trace the old ones. Much thanks-Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Amp.gauge quit

check the 2little fuses in the wiring harness that runs accross the core support
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

Re: Amp.gauge quit

Funny thing is,there where no fuses or links. A couple months ago there was a short under the dash and that entire thick red wire melted (the insuation) all the way into the cab and filled it with smoke.I had to jump out and disconnect the battery,then find the short. So perhaps this is partly why things are weird now.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote