The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
72supermike

Buddy Bucket Question

I know there have been a lot of questions about buddy buckets but this one might be new. I have a set (or two) of buddies that I plan on reselling. I would like to get the most money I can for these. My question is, would it be worth restoring/recovering the seats prior to sale in order to get more for them or does the profit remain the same either way? I would take them to an upholstery shop, not buy from lmc or where-ever. I would do them in black with houndstooth middles or something of the like. What do you guys think?
72supermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Buddy Bucket Question

My 2 cents only. If you're only going to do one or two of them (i.e. not be "in business" with MANY sets) - then I'd just get the restored to a point without committing to the covers - or advertise them as "choose your color" and then you get the color they want. You make money on your labor that way - OR - just sell them as rough buckets without seat covers and let the new owner do what he wants.

If you cover them in what you think will look good (black with houndstooth, which never came from the factory) - you elminitate all potential buyers that a) need something other than black or b) need black, but are doing a restoration - i.e. no houndstooth.

So, the more you do to improve the seats, the smaller the buyer pool gets. So, I'd try to strike a balance - maybe nicely restore the frames, get your suppliers all lined up, and advertise it as "like new buddy buckets - buyer choose color" or something like that - many more will be interested in it - and one might even want black with white houndstooth...

EDIT: oops, forgot to mention - IF you plan to be in business doing many of these things, THEN you could completely finish them out and offer folks a selection - and not really limit your buying pool.

Last edited by jocko; 04-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Maxxd07

Just my opinion, I would sell them as is, that way someone could recover them how they would like, as it will broaden the ammount of buyers that would be interested in them. Just my opinion though, for example, if I wanted a set and wanted stock style red covers and you had new black houndstooth covers on them I wouldn't want to spend the extra just to have to take the new covers off and do what I want. Maybe sell them with an option to get recovered in the cover of choice?
Posted via Mobile Device

EDIT: I was beat to the punch^^.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
C/10 King

X3, sell them as is.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Part'em out, in unrestored condition these buddy seats are now worth more in pieces... kinda like the trucks they came in. Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

You could go as far as replacing the foam and cleaning up the frame but stop there for all the above reasons.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
72supermike

thanks guys for the input. If these seats get parted out, how easy is it to sell all of the parts? will I end up selling the main parts and being stuck with a bunch of smaller parts for a long time? thoughts? thanks!

mike
72supermike is offline   Reply With Quote