The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
BBC Beater

Radiator problems! big block swap, RV style truck, etc.. frankenstein parts!

This is probably gonna take someone who really knows these trucks to answer this... lol

Here's what I've got 90 RV style 1 ton crew cab 4x4 that has a 454 swapped in from a 350.
And here's my problem, I need a 4 core radiator and shroud and yes, I should have got on here and asked questions before buying parts.
I have bought (coming in the mail) a fan shroud off ebay that was for a 79 suburban with 454 and I have access to a 4 core radiator from an 87 chevy.

Only thing is I checked part numbers for these items and I found that 73-87 used the same radiator, but different shrouds. So I'm assuming shrouds should be interchangable on these years.

But here's the kicker, for my 90 RV style crew cab, the shroud, and radiator part numbers are different from any 73-87.

Is there any way to make my combo work, or will I have to start from scratch? I don't mind modifying stuff or even cutting stuff if it isn't too troublesome, any expert opinions.

Thanks
Joe
BBC Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up

I personally don't know but im willing to bet that this stuff will bolt up with no major issues you may have to make some mods but to what or where is unknown.

It's gonna be a matter of getting all the parts and just go from there and see what fits.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

The core supports are different, as is the upper radiator bracket. To use the 73-80 shroud, you will need a 73-80 4 core upper radiator bracket...but then that won't "bolt up" to your 81+ core support. I would suggest just trying to find a matching shroud and upper bracket (if needed) from a 81+ truck or Suburban. Just my opinion.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
BBC Beater

That kind of stuff is hard to find. If what I've got will possibly work I guess I'll go to the dealership and just buy the brackets. I guess I might have to drill some holes or something. Not going for looks just reliable service.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
AirMale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC Beater
That kind of stuff is hard to find. If what I've got will possibly work I guess I'll go to the dealership and just buy the brackets. I guess I might have to drill some holes or something. Not going for looks just reliable service.
The parts are readily available. You can get the top bracket from LMC and any online radiator company can send you a radiator for around $150-$175
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Dean

I put a 4 core in my 85 C20 and it took a few mods. I actually used the radiator shroud and brackets from a 71 C20....lol. I was amazed how well it worked. I was trying all kind of stuff that I had laying around when I tried that.

The 87 K30 that I just bought has a 4 core installed in it also. It looks like the previous owner did some trimming.

I can take pics of either install if needed.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
BBC Beater

Pics would be great!

Also, I just talked to the guy at the dealership and he told me mounting hardware from an 86 would work and is available. He didn't know about my fan shroud and if it would work.