The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2023, 12:41 AM   #1

Shackle style cab mounts

I have searched around the site a bit without finding an answer. On my 54 GMC I have the rubber mounted shackle rear cab supports. I have gone thru a couple of sets of rubber bushings as they tend to sag out pretty quickly. Has anyone used polyurethane bushings in the shackle supports?
6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Shackle style cab mounts

I have only used the stock replacement stuff on those but know that urethane mounts need to be lubed so they don'e squeak over time/use. grease them up with some synthetic grease when you assemble them. energy suspension sells some that is really thick so it stays put.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
dsraven

I know some guys have also opted to replace those shackle style mounts with a universal style urethane body mount that is made to have pressure in a downward force against the mount. it would require some brackets to be built and attached to the frame for the mount to rest on. same on the cab end of things. not a huge deal if you are handy. the mounts come with a tube in the middle of them so a bolt can be cinched down and the urethane doesn't get squashed out from tightening down the bolt. something like the link below shows
https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...-isolators.asp
Old 06-23-2023, 02:18 AM   #4

I have seen the LS FAB style cab mounts that bolt to the frame and use the newer style cab mounts. My truck is finished and I'm not really wanting to remove the cab to install the newer mounts. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the polyurethane bushings in the older style cab shackle supports.
6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #5
dsraven

well, it would be easy to source a set from the energy suspension site listings, or another supplier, if you have the dimensions. like said, lube them well on assembly and then see if you like them. if you don't modify the shackles or mounts you can always go back. prolly won't break the bank. you may like them.