The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
cxune

era appropriate computer monitor

This may be a new one.. has anyone tried to install a computer monitor for an onboard windows/linux PC in their 67-72?

In particular, I wonder if anyone has tried to make it look like it belongs in a truck of this era. I was thinking of either using an early 80's monitor case with a modern VGA CRT installed, or a late 60's early 70's TV case with a VGA screen.. maybe install an 8-track and CB radio next to it to complete the look.

There are lots of reasons to have a PC in your truck now- thousands of hours of music in MP3 for starters, plus real time maps with a $50 GPS module, access to the internet through your cell phone for internet radio, traffic maps, remote access to work, etc, etc..

If anyone out there has tried this, I'd be very interested in seeing some photos.

I used to have a pentium-90 in my '87 suburban back when a pentium-90 was a fast computer..

-patrick

PS - if you think that is crazy, google for that guy who installed a 1500 watt inverter and a (house) windows unit AC in his toyota.. claims it works very well..

I'm half tempted to install a toaster oven in my glove box just to bug my friend who keeps giving me a hard time about wanting a PC in my truck..
cxune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

I think you'll be the only one sporting one. Make sure to take lots of pics and write a thread for the FAQ page.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
I think you'll be the only one sporting one.
I don't think he is the ONLY one, I've toyed around with the idea for a while, although I wasn't going for a period correct monitor. I was thinking to move the radio to a center console, do away with the ashtray, and flush-mount a smaller modern monitor right in the dash like the new cars have for their DVD Navagation Systems.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
cxune

ohotos of custom consoles then?

That's a nice idea smbrous, and would look awesome. But I neglected to mention that I wanted to build mine out of the electronics junk i have lying around. For starters, the computer itself will be a 2.5 GHz laptop with its cracked screen removed.. wireless keyboard and mouse.. CRT screen for sure..

I know it's not very 1971, but I do have a mint Zenith monitor (nonoperational, some people would be upset about cutting up a good one as people on here often are about cutting up a mint original truck ) .. it's more like 1981 but to the uninitiated it might pass.

But then, the poop brown early 70's 13" TV appeals to me too.. like some crazy guy in 1971 wanted to watch TV while he drove and aquawked on CB channel 19.

Of course, living in the city, it will all have to be mounted in a lockable and bolted down box of some kind...

Here's a more modest question.. has anyone got some photos of custom, but era appropriate consoles and boxes mounted in this series truck?
cxune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Chevy4Life

I run a carputer in my 02 sb reg. cab.

1600xp
256mb ddr
40gb hd
TV Tuner
iGuidance GPS navigation
slim DVD/CD burner mounted in the dash
Wireless 2.4ghz Network Card
Wireless keyboard and mouse
7" Touchscreen monitor
1800 mp3's

I have been meaning to start a post about this to see if there is any interest. I'm using a 350 watt power inverter. I wired up a pretty simple startup/shutdown controller. This is easy to setup using old pc parts you may have collecting dust. I have something planned for the 67, when I get to the interior. I love having it around, I may not use it everyday, but when I do it's priceless.

They are making new mini-ITX motherboards that can be built into very small packages and use 12 volt power, but they are still kind of limited on add-ons and speed.
Chevy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i have a hard enough time trying to find a place for stereo equipment let-alone a 1500watt inverter and a tower. back in the day when i wanted a tv in my trucki was thinking about having it come out of the ashtry hole somehow, but i am over that now

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

The bed might hold it. Back in the day (late 60's) monitors were know as operator consoles. Here's one from an IBM 360 mainframe.
Attached Images

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
tomatocity

Make it simple and use a notebook (laptop). Not very large, runs on local poer source, folds away nicely. Oh yeah, use a wi-fi nic to log on to the internet during those McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Borders, California State Parks, Michigan State Parks and most coffee shop visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxune
This may be a new one.. has anyone tried to install a computer monitor for an onboard windows/linux PC in their 67-72?

In particular, I wonder if anyone has tried to make it look like it belongs in a truck of this era. I was thinking of either using an early 80's monitor case with a modern VGA CRT installed, or a late 60's early 70's TV case with a VGA screen.. maybe install an 8-track and CB radio next to it to complete the look.

There are lots of reasons to have a PC in your truck now- thousands of hours of music in MP3 for starters, plus real time maps with a $50 GPS module, access to the internet through your cell phone for internet radio, traffic maps, remote access to work, etc, etc..

If anyone out there has tried this, I'd be very interested in seeing some photos.

I used to have a pentium-90 in my '87 suburban back when a pentium-90 was a fast computer..

-patrick

PS - if you think that is crazy, google for that guy who installed a 1500 watt inverter and a (house) windows unit AC in his toyota.. claims it works very well..

I'm half tempted to install a toaster oven in my glove box just to bug my friend who keeps giving me a hard time about wanting a PC in my truck..
Old 06-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

I run my Dell laptop in my truck, in my car as well as everywhere else. It sits perfectly in my center console and is plumbed into my stereo system, I can also play DVDs for the passenger on longer trips. I have a FM transmitter as well so I can listen to my music on my patio or anywhere else that has a stereo sysytem. It also has wireless internet so I can park anywhere that has a hub and post on the board HE HE.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Wouldnt period piece actually be a old tv and an ATARI or commodore 64?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #11
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

67-72 computer? Well it would probably have wooden beads or at least a million vaccum tubes.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote