The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
67vetteal

Reskinning Tailgate

I bought a new skin for my 72 Fleetside mild custom restoration. It's from Mar K with the Bow Tie Embosed on it. Today I opened the shipping box and set it in place. I'm wondering whether to remove the outer skin before installing the new skin. Handle will be relocated to the inside. I'm not happy about cutting up the inside of this Tailgate as it is Cherry. If I remove the outer skin I can install Solonoids with Pin Locks. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Al W.
67vetteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Re: Reskinning Tailgate

Ttt

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vetteal View Post
If I remove the outer skin I can install Solonoids with Pin Locks.
Not trying to hijack, but I was thinking about this but didn't know where to start, have you chosen them yet, anything needed to assure they work since it's such a hard pull?

I am wondering, if it's cherry, why are you skinning it, just for the emblem?

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
67vetteal

Trip, I'm playing and proving to myself that I still can. Also I've owned a 67Corvette for 47 years and am tired of playing between the lines. Restored vehicles have become much too Annal for my likings! I will be installing 89 Deville tail lights and a rolled pan with LED Stop Lights in the Pan. I've already put new Sills and Floor in a 67 small window donor cab. It's going to have a 2008 Chev Third Brakelight/Cargo light also. I did a search and found one or two good Reskin Threads and now have decided to pull the existing skin and install the Mar K with Bonding Epoxy. I used it on the Cab and it is rock solid method. The Bonding Epoxy will allow me to finish the end seams in a fine finish manner. If you look at the OEM install it's pretty rough. I"ll post pictures as the weeks go bye. I've been sick all winter so garage time is minimal. Al W.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
67vetteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip59 View Post
Not trying to hijack, but I was thinking about this but didn't know where to start, have you chosen them yet, anything needed to assure they work since it's such a hard pull?

I am wondering, if it's cherry, why are you skinning it, just for the emblem?

Trip
Trip again, I'm not too concerned about the pull. What concerns me is a back up manual way to open the gate in the event of equipment failure with the solonoids. Most likely a simple hidden Tripping wire will be fine. A properly aligned/Lubricated Tailgate opens very easily. The Mar K kit that switches the Latch inside has a huge screw in place mount. I may make a modified mount and Weld it in place and French it in. (French is an old Hot Rod term for smoothing in a piece). Dating myself! Al W.

Last edited by 67vetteal; 02-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Richard H.
Spanked once

Is there any way you can mount the solenoids near where you thought you could put the back up wire or where you will put it?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
67vetteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
Is there any way you can mount the solenoids near where you thought you could put the back up wire or where you will put it?
The action/Bellcrank of the Rods that actuate the End Locking Pins require a downward pull. Therefore I would be inclined to have the "Emergency Wire" under the truck behind the Pan. I'll be posting lots of pictures when I get started. Al W.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Richard H.
Spanked once

I have my bear claws in my B pillars for looks number one but also it lets me be redundant on getting in or out. So key-less entry , electric inside door handle and in and out cable pull in case the solenoid fails. I will wait for your pics , my gate is fine to pull off what you are doing but I'm also looking at a gate from a 1966 fleet. Just bugs me not having the solenoids accessible with my luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
shortbed70

I think the skins are designed to go over the stock but when the PO on my 65 did the bowtie skin it didnt line up with the taillight caps so I would say take the time and cut the old skin off and fit to endcaps.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
67vetteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
I have my bear claws in my B pillars for looks number one but also it lets me be redundant on getting in or out. So key-less entry , electric inside door handle and in and out cable pull in case the solenoid fails. I will wait for your pics , my gate is fine to pull off what you are doing but I'm also looking at a gate from a 1966 fleet. Just bugs me not having the solenoids accessible with my luck.
Just be Patient as I move slow lately. Al W.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
67vetteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
I think the skins are designed to go over the stock but when the PO on my 65 did the bowtie skin it didnt line up with the taillight caps so I would say take the time and cut the old skin off and fit to endcaps.
Shortbed70, I'm leaning towards a total reskin for a number of reasons. I'm happy for Jamie MacMurray. He deserved the Win! Al W.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Trip, I'm playing and proving to myself that I still can. Also I've owned a 67Corvette for 47 years and am tired of playing between the lines. Restored vehicles have become much too Annal for my likings! I will be installing 89 Deville tail lights and a rolled pan with LED Stop Lights in the Pan. I've already put new Sills and Floor in a 67 small window donor cab. It's going to have a 2008 Chev Third Brakelight/Cargo light also. I did a search and found one or two good Reskin Threads and now have decided to pull the existing skin and install the Mar K with Bonding Epoxy. I used it on the Cab and it is rock solid method. The Bonding Epoxy will allow me to finish the end seams in a fine finish manner. If you look at the OEM install it's pretty rough. I"ll post pictures as the weeks go bye. I've been sick all winter so garage time is minimal. Al W.
I had a 68, was my first truck, and I never got to play because it was my daily driver. Now, all these years later, I can tear into whatever I like and not have to use it the next morning. The fact I work from an office on my property makes it even nicer, and needed even less. Most of what I plan to do is playing, I've got some really interesting ideas for the truck, I'm striving for unique-but not odd.

Trip
Old 02-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
67vetteal

Trip, We'll have to compare Play Notes as time goes bye! Al W.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Trip, We'll have to compare Play Notes as time goes bye! Al W.
Looking forward to it! ~Trip
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
67vetteal

I've removed the OEM skin and found some rust inside! My plan is to clean it up and coat with rubberized undercoat. Then I'll bond with the epoxy. I repaired a few holes by MIG welding them and grinding flush. Hopefully I'll learn how to post pictures soon. Al W.