The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Wrecked1982

1 ton rear frame reinforment

hey guy, finaly got some time to work on my old wrecker, i decided to double the rear frame up to under the cab.i want to take every bolt, and spring hangers to install a L beam maybe 1/4 thick on the outside of the frame. now will it matter if the spring hangers are gonna be a 1/4 inches more spread to the outside on each side? will the springs still aling with center hole on the diff?
hope im clear enough.
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
86c20

Re: 1 ton rear frame reinforment

1/4 is a lot for the make up on the springs. i dont think it will go. why are you adding so much? would it not be better to box the frame? i have an 80 c30 wreaker that i load to 8k all the time with no problems.
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
esbstuff

Boxing is not the way to go, because you lose the accessablity of so many bolts, nuts and lines.

I would first check that you have a true 1 ton frame. They are completely differant than the 1/2 or 3/4 ton frames. The 1 ton frame is taller around the back of the cab, front of the bed area.

If anything, I would plate the inside of the frame between the transmission cross member and the front rear spring hanger. This area is where the most stress is.

But I would 'v' and weld any cracks before you start. And of course, sometimes the frame is too stressed/damage for a cost effective repair and should just be replaced.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Wrecked1982

yeah its a real K35 and the frame is mint condition no cracks no rust no nothing. i saw this video and i really like the way they reinforce it. reason why is i saw a couples of wrecker almost break in haft behind the cab and im gonna mount an independent wheel lift on the frame. but as said it will spread the springs apart, maybe 1/4 inch plate is too much. im on a stand still right now. my wheel lift is a vulcan and its rated a 7500 lbs pull. 8k is the mother loadlol. truck must feels pretty power steering lol
Old 04-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
esbstuff

They do frame reinfrcements to pickups doing repo work were there is no extra support structure provided by the wrecker bed. Also they do frame work because of the wheel lift manufacture has taken shortcuts on designs of the wheellift.

I currently own and use everyday a 87 V30 with a Challanger 4800 series bed that has a Vulcan ad-on wheellift. During the rehab that I gave the truck during the end of last year, I checked the frame front to rear and found no issues. You will find out that trucks that have broke/bent/damage frames in the center are the result of improper recovery work where the front of the truck was tied down during the the recovery. It may not break or bend the first time or two, but will sooner or later.

The only thing I did to my truck was add a set of Timberlins to the truck. It helped the sway and helped the truck keep up in the rear during heavy lifts.
Attached Images

esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Wrecked1982

very nice rig there, did you took picture of how the add on is mounted? i got the same wheel lift but i have to fab my own mount. my idea so far was 3/4 inch x 6 inch flat bar over the frame.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Axle

Esbstuff, you may be the guy to answer this, some time back I found a (leaf) spring website that listed tow truck springs for the squares, I've searched in circles trying to find this website again, any websites you know of that specifically are listing tow springs?

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote