The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
GM1

New Square

Just got passed down a 1982 Sierra inline 6 cylinders 4.1 L. This is my first square and excited even though i don't have any mechanic skills. My plan is to eventually get her fixed up with new paint and engine, but in the mean time i want to get her running reliably with a/c (a must have in Houston).

Any recommendations on how to go about installing the a/c.?

The inline fuel filter had a red/brownish color so i took down the gas tank to see if the tank needed to be cleaned or replaced. The tank looked good, but i noticed one of the lines on the fuel sending unit was broken due to rust (yellow arrow is pointing to rusted line). I don't know what the purpose of this line is or if anything is connected to it. I will greatly appreciate any feedback.

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing the rot at the bottom side of the cab?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

GM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

Re: New Square

That looks to be just the vent hose on the gas tank, is the truck factory ac?
Posted via Mobile Device

East Tx Squares
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

welcome aboard.. thats a nice truck and like the truck i had that i originally bought as a donor truck but ended up ficing up and running for several years.. The air condition should be checked to make sure there is power there and a pressure test to make sure it seems sealed to take a charge then you need to get it filled with dye and gas so if there are leaks it will show where in fact there is a leak.. it costs about $90 here for that last time i had it done at a shop.. of course if th ey find anything right off the bat then that is extra.. You can buy a new sending unit at LMC and install that just make sure you use the new O Ring that comes with it and its seated right..
that part of the rocker will need to be cut out and replaced.. Im surein texas you can find a rust free donor piece in a junkyard and weld it in
Welcome to the board!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
1LowToy

Just wondering, is that an inline 6 with an automatic OD transmission? If so I would sure like to have some pics of the transmissin kick down cable at the carb. That would be a rare combination as far as I know.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
beamn7

Welcome and nice truck! Should be a fun project! The ol' 250 is one of my favorite motors. Got 256K original miles on my 78 thats been in the family since day 1.

Here's a few links for parts (rocker panel and sending unit)
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/
http://www.lmctruck.com/
http://www.classicparts.com/1973-198...departments/8/

Good luck!
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Welcome to the board!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
GM1

Thanks for the welcome's, this is going to be a fun project. I got the fuel sending unit and fuel filter installed. This isn't an factory ac, it has an aftermarket ac. It has a condenser and dryer, but is missing the compressor. I couldn't see where the lines from the dryer connect to since i haven't messed with the dash yet.

Name:  controls.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  a:c.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  92.6 KB

I have been focusing on trying to figure out where to hook the line for the PCV, the line was originally hooked in a port that is just a hole (red circle). I was told that there are base plates with vacuum ports, I have been looking on the net and the auto parts stores but haven't had any luck. I guess i don't know the correct terminology, I was think about drilling a hole on the intake(yellow circle) and hooking it up that way. Any recommendations.

Name:  pcv.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  92.6 KB

Oh yeah... this isn't an OD transmission.
GM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Dsquared

the base plate is on the bottom of the carb... i wouldn't drill a hole in the intake,especially with it still on the motor. that looks like an integrated head. if so, you really don't want to take that intake off....most likely will break some of the bols off. i'm trying to remember the ac,had one of those systems on my truck years back but took it off.
Dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote