The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

A 4L80E question . . .

Greetings all,

I'm 'bout ready to start seriously thinkin' 'bout the driveline setup in my '72.

When 4L80Es started coming out in the early '90s, I coulda sworn I remember reading somewhere that someone was offering full hydraulically shiftable valve bodies for them, thus letting you eliminate the speed sensors, etc., and basically turn one into a hydraulically shifted, 4-speed Turbo 400.

Been doing some web search and I don't see any mention of them anywhere. Full manual shift ones can be had for racing, and full standalone controllers/harnesses are available, but nothing in between.

Anyone know if there is such a critter, or where I could get one?
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Re: A 4L80E question . . .

TransGo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...=p4506.c0.m245

You're looking at a NEW Transgo 4L80E-3 full manual shift kit for the 1991-UP 4L80-E. This kit is not only a full manual kit, but allows you to eliminate the need for the computer to control the transmission. This would be perfect for transplanting this heavy duty transmission into an older car. This kit will work in high performance street to full-race applications. Along with the increased performance from your vehicle, you'll also see an increase in the life of your transmission due to the reduced slippage. This is the most complete shift kit available and definitely the most reputable. All parts and gaskets are included, no special tools required. Buyer to pay insured shipping of $9. Please visit my other auctions and new eBay store for great deals on other transmission parts. I have a few other nice upgrades for this transmission that are only in my eBay store. If you're looking for a full manual shift kit for this transmission, I have these listed in my eBay store. Buy this kit along with a rebuild kit, get free shipping on this shift kit.

I have one of these in my truck. You do need to shift them manually.

Last edited by FormerMember; 09-19-2008 at 05:43 PM.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post
TransGo

I have one of these in my truck. You do need to shift them manually.
Mmyeah, don't want to have to do that. I'd just like to flop it in "Drive" and have it shift up through all four gears by itself with no electronic controls.

I did go look at Transgo's catalog, however. They do have a "4L80E PSK" kit that says its automatic shift, but makes no mention of whether or not it eliminates the computer. I'm guessing it doesn't. In fact, I think I installed one of those kits (or one similar) the last time I built a 4L80E, but that's been about five years ago, and I can't remember all the details.

As a side note, I have considered an Allison. Have a friend who's running an AT545 with a divorced transfer case in a lifted '71 pickup. It's quite cool, but I'm not sure I want to add all that complexity, plus they're real heavy.

Thanks for the link.
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
67dragtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post
Greetings all,

I'm 'bout ready to start seriously thinkin' 'bout the driveline setup in my '72.

When 4L80Es started coming out in the early '90s, I coulda sworn I remember reading somewhere that someone was offering full hydraulically shiftable valve bodies for them, thus letting you eliminate the speed sensors, etc., and basically turn one into a hydraulically shifted, 4-speed Turbo 400.

Been doing some web search and I don't see any mention of them anywhere. Full manual shift ones can be had for racing, and full standalone controllers/harnesses are available, but nothing in between.

Anyone know if there is such a critter, or where I could get one?

That's a neat idea. I wouldn't even mind a full manual one that much. I'd really like to have one with the aftermarket computer, but they are pricey.

Tom
No more dragtruck for me. I'm building a new ride though. It's a '71 fleetside, 400 sbc, 700R4. Working on it now, finally. Soon to have Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI, Vintage Air, 1 piece windows, buddy buckets, etc.

My new build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...17#post2861817

Best pass with the old dragtruck:
5.32 @ 131.6 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.25 60' Fogger/Plate 2003

Best pass with the street 406 hydraulic roller motor w/ mild plate tuneup
5.93 @ 114 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.29 60' 2003 or 2004
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote