The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

How did you choose...

your body shop. I had looked forever to find someone who wouldn't kill me on price and still do a good job. My first choice would have been bad6772 but there is no way I could afford to get my truck there or even afford for him to do the work(Tony if you see this you do some killer work). One day I walked into a shop and saw this pic on the wall.

Turns out he built this 69 LWB drag truck from the ground up and has three more out on his farm. I could tell by talking with him this was a pride and joy vehicle and after seeing some of the other projects in the shop I was sold. So far so good this guy has been great to work with and I am happy hopefully we will still be on schedule and I get her back before the first snow.

So how did you find your body guy?

Last edited by Palf70Step; 09-20-2008 at 06:34 PM.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: How did you choose...

I found mine in a roundabout way through this board. Super nice guy. I like talking trucks with him...but...my panel has been in his hands for just over 2.5 years now. Next project will probably be one of my boys rides. We will do it all ourselves. Never again will I put myself at the mercy of another persons time table when it comes to my hobby...It kills the fun of playing
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Thanks for the compliments Jeff........And me having to never use a outside guy,i really cant tell you what to look for.....or what not to look for......I have done quiet a few side jobs...There are things i look for in a customer too..And you could afford me....But there is a few ahead of ya....Mainly my wifes 49 that i have not touched in 3 years....LOL

bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

I have watched your build thread man that truck is cool I hope mine looks that good. I would have sent mine to the shop where you work that way you stay busy and don't loose time with the little one.

CG I have watched yours as well and ya it looks like a slow go but that thing will be sweet when she is done don't see to many sharp panels like that.

Last edited by ksjh1316; 09-19-2008 at 09:47 PM.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I found my bodyshop across the street from the Kragen I go to.
They're very cheap and they do adequate work. I ended up doing a little sanding on my bedsides that they did to get them perfect.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

...."cheap and adequate"....

There's gotta be a message in there....

I talked to several shops. One would have had me spend a lot of "unobtainium", which I aintgotium. Another was found, who have a presence in our community, and whose prices climbed from year to year (what do you expect?). I picked a young guy, based on the experience of a friend and after seeing his work. He talked a good game, and seemed to display many talents for such a young person. Paid a deposit, dropped off my truck and now, after a year, he has Lymphoma. I have taken back my cab/chassis/drivetrain and dismantled the cab. The engine/tranny sits in my garage. The bed, and front cap have been soda-blasted (my dime) and the trim pieces are in the garage, too. I have arranged to have the cab repaired by another guy, who is a welder and a fabricator, among many, many other abilities. What I thought I was going to get, and have, has essentially vanished from my dreams.

His illness is being treated. His dad says he taught him everything he knows. He says they will get it done. It don't look much like it, to me. I guess I've lost faith in them.

What I have learned is that relying on someone else to do what they say they will do, and convinced us will be done, may not materialize in the face of adversity. And, it may not be their fault, either.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
haysonj

Found mine by accident went with a friend to pick up his 03 that had fender damage. Guy had a 53 pickup,63 nova, and a old VW truck in various stages. I liked what I saw and his price was about $4,000 less then any other price I had. I liked the job so well I let him put his logo on the rear window.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
ap2002

the guy that will be doing mine, is a guy that works at a dealership, but rents a small bodyshop where he does work on the side, in the afternoons and sat/sun, he has painted many newer trucks and and does an excellent job, he has never tackled an old truck project but he is not scared to do it, plus like mentioned above, he is like $4k cheaper than any bodyshop around here that deals with classics.... then again, mine wont be for show or nothing like that, it'll be a weekend cruiser and will always be stored in the garage, so im pretty sure if anything is done wrong it'll take a while to show...
Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
70cst

I was fortunate that my son 70cstjr worked with a guy whose brother-in-law has been in the rodsteration business for over 34 years because he loves to put new life into old cars and trucks. Curts approach is-he builds your cars as if he was building this car for himself Curt builds very nice projects and he does this becuase he loves turning what "could be into what is". He is doing a frame off on my 70cst and it will hopefully be finished in a couple months. So it will be about a 12 month process. The price he quoted still is lookin good. I have upgraded the brakes and suspension so it will drive better. Keeping the color the same.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=306188

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The production shops, that is, those that do the day-to-day fender bender repairs will probably not want to take on a restoration-type project. As seen in the comments above, finding someone who wants to work on older vehicles and is willing to do so without you having to hock the house, is what the hunt comes down to. After that, it just takes time. Do you sign a contract? Do you set a schedule for periodic payments and a deadline for completion? Do you fork over money as a down-payment/deposit? What assurances do you get for your faith in what they say they will do? You have to protect your assets. I don't know how much money you already have tied-up in your truck, but you need to feel comfortable that turning over your property to another, only to know that it's gonna suck some more money before it's done, is something to think about.

It will be an emotional roller coaster. Strap in.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
steelhorse

Ive been burned twice so I started painting my own.I can put a lot of paint on for 5k and if it isnt right I know who to blame.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote