The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Project69ctok

Engine Dies when in 4-wheel drive

Help!
I have a 72 K10 with a 350, TH-400 auto. I have replaced the worn out Quadra-jet with an Edelbrock performer 600 cfm with manual choke. When in 2-WD there are no issues, in 4-WD it idles fine but when I put it in R or D it dies. I am also having issues with the tranny kickdown. The cable end is messed up and there doesn't seem to be a good place to attach it to on the carb. It really isn't working at all. Would this kickdown issue cause the engine dying in 4-WD?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Project69ctok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Engine Dies when in 4-wheel drive

Hmmm. What T-case in this swap? Do you have any time on it at all and did it ever work correctly? Really odd issue as the torque converter should let the motor do it's thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Project69ctok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Hmmm. What T-case in this swap? Do you have any time on it at all and did it ever work correctly? Really odd issue as the torque converter should let the motor do it's thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll have to check the T-case. It was in it when I bought the truck. It did run in 4-WD for a trip around the pasture but then on the way back to the shop I came to a stop and tried to take off again and it has been dying in 4-WD ever since. No noise or issues were noted while it was working in 4-WD. It really does run great in 2-WD.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
swamp rat

I know Edelbrock offers some linkage adapters, i think i ended up with an after market Cal Custom adjustable chrome mount, and i was able to rob the little brass ball off the rodchester and mount it to the edelbrock for the throttle, i think also for the kick down was another part off the cother carb but i also have the 350 turbo.

So in 2wd the tranny will shift into drive and reverse without the engine dieing, but when you shift the transfer case to 4wd it will die?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
OrrieG

Only thing I can think of is that the extra load of the tranfer being engaged is dropping the engine RPM?? I had similar issues with AC coming on, but idle would be to high when it was not running. Solved it using smog fast idle solenoid off of a Qjet I had laying around. Wired it to come on when AC compressor engages, you could do the same to the 4wd indicator switch on the transfer.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Project69ctok

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I know Edelbrock offers some linkage adapters, i think i ended up with an after market Cal Custom adjustable chrome mount, and i was able to rob the little brass ball off the rodchester and mount it to the edelbrock for the throttle, i think also for the kick down was another part off the cother carb but i also have the 350 turbo.

So in 2wd the tranny will shift into drive and reverse without the engine dieing, but when you shift the transfer case to 4wd it will die?
Thats correct. It idles fine in 2wd whether in gear or not.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Project69ctok

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Only thing I can think of is that the extra load of the tranfer being engaged is dropping the engine RPM?? I had similar issues with AC coming on, but idle would be to high when it was not running. Solved it using smog fast idle solenoid off of a Qjet I had laying around. Wired it to come on when AC compressor engages, you could do the same to the 4wd indicator switch on the transfer.
Thanks, that may be the ticket. I know I have the old Qjet laying around and will scavenge parts and try this.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Project69ctok

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post

Thanks, I saw an adapter somewhere but can't remember where. I am trying to not buy new parts because I have so much laying around. I will look at the Qjet for possible prats to rob. Hope this all works out.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Project69ctok

I won't be able to get to the truck for a few weeks as I am out of town but I will update this post when I get back with the suggestions made. Thanks everyone. :-)
Old 06-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
Bigdav160

Although it doesn't sound like a transmission problem, what trans do you have?

Quote:
I am also having issues with the tranny kickdown. The cable end is messed up and there doesn't seem to be a good place to attach it to on the carb.
There is not a kickdown cable on a TH400. It was electric.

Does it move at all in 4WD? Or just stalls?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
Project69ctok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Although it doesn't sound like a transmission problem, what trans do you have?

There is not a kickdown cable on a TH400. It was electric.

Does it move at all in 4WD? Or just stalls?
I might have to check the tranny, I was basing what it was on what the previous owner told me was in it. It may be a TH350 because it seems the kickdown cable is connected to something on the tranny. It just stalls in 4wd as soon as I put it in R or D.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
ERASER5

Check the wiring at the starter. Make sure there are no bare spots on the yellow wire (if it is still there). Insure that NO wires are being touched by the linkage. IE: Shift into 4X and linkage shorts the yellow wire- instant dead engine.

Other wires to check. Is there a yellow 4X4 light? Is it wired correctly? Is the socket shorted out.

I had a 67 Impala that honked the horn if you turned left. Weird stuff happens to old wiring.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote