The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2002, 02:39 PM   #1
xRugby8

Question Semi vs full-floating axles

I was going through the parts book to find out what seals I would need to buy in order to repack the wheel bearings. It listed for the rear two types -semi-floating or full-floating axles.

I think I have semi-floating rear axles but in reading the manual I'm not sure anymore.

It sounds like the full-floating attaches at the differential similar to how the old VW Bugs axles attached where by the axle bolts to a flange at the differential.

I have a 1969 Chevy Custom Camper 2wd. Can some one help me out on confirming that I have (or don't have) a semi-floating axle?

Thanks In Advance
John
xRugby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:52 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The old bug axle you are refering to is an IRS, & some of the older ones were swing axle. Your c 20 should have full floating axles, & can be identified by a largehub with 6 bolts holding the axle in. If you pop the hub cap, & take these bolts out you can slide the axle out......& the truck will be standing on the wheels. The 1/2 ton trucks are a semi floater, & will have 5 or 6 lug wheels(depending on the yr), vs 8 lug on the 3/4 tons. On the semi floater rears, you need the wheels off, & the inspection cover to pull the center pin & remove the axles. Im sure somebody has some pics......
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:58 PM   #3
xRugby8

Thanks. I'll check tonight but I'm pretty sure they are as you described.

I also forgot to mention it is a 3/4 ton before but it sounds like you knew that already.
xRugby8 is offline   Reply With Quote