The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
bigtruckboi2000

454block

Hey fellas,
I found this online and wanted some experienced/professional opinions about if its worth the chance on buying for a build later on. Here is the description posted-
Mark v 4 bolt main , 1 pc. rear seal , needs to be bored for new pistons. original crank broke causing no. 4 cylinder to be scorned , got a quote from local auto mach. shop to bore all cylinders for 104.00 , buyer must provide new pistons for mach. work . have all orig. pistons and connecting arms , assembled heads , cam , lifters , pushrods , oil pump , and pan , no intake or carb. included . previously listed for 500. so don't ask this is as low as i'll go this block has been cleaned and flushed

What u guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriots always talk of dying for their country but never of killing for their country.
bigtruckboi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
gofastnut

Re: 454block

Gen, or Mark V is the "newer" block, starting in 1991 and going until ??
"Cylinder #4 scored" how bad? Are you gonna have to bore .030 over to clean it up, or will it require a sleeve in that hole? Unless the cam and lifters are New In Box. I'd ditch them and buy new.
What do you want to use it for? A base for a hot rod engine, or a mild built big block?
What price was he asking?
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
bigtruckboi2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastnut View Post
Gen, or Mark V is the "newer" block, starting in 1991 and going until ??
"Cylinder #4 scored" how bad? Are you gonna have to bore .030 over to clean it up, or will it require a sleeve in that hole? Unless the cam and lifters are New In Box. I'd ditch them and buy new.
What do you want to use it for? A base for a hot rod engine, or a mild built big block?
What price was he asking?
Not sure how bad it's scored but will ask. I would like to use it as a mild bb in the 65 later on. And he was only asking for $300 for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Patriots always talk of dying for their country but never of killing for their country.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: 454block

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruckboi2000 View Post
Not sure how bad it's scored but will ask. I would like to use it as a mild bb in the 65 later on. And he was only asking for $300 for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'll have to buy cam and lifters; buy and install cam bearings; buy crank kit, includes matching rod and main bearings; buy 8 new pistons, and have them fitted onto rods; pay for re-conditioning rods; buy and install/fit new set of rings; pay for boring; buy full set of quality gaskets--price may shock you; buy better valve seals; pay for heads-refreshing/valve job; buy an intake and carb; buy timing gears and chain; buy an oil pump and strainer; pay for assembling engine(either your labor or someone else's); fuel pump--may hafta use an electric(more costly than mechanical) if no provision(??) for mechanical one; harmonic balancer?; new freeze plugs; flex plate or flywheel; front pulleys, brackets, accessories; exhaust manifolds; PLUS $100-$250 misc. I prolly missed. Add cost of all this and see the total.

Do you want to have that much in a re-built 454? I'd compare it to a decent-mileage, salvage-yard 454 where I could see the wreck it came out of--NOT one that was hit in the front where it may have damaged crankshaft and/or block internals.

HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
gofastnut

Sam brings up an interesting point using a running big block. I just kinda like to build my own though. I'm shooting for 500hp for less than $3k--I know, I know, but I'm gonna try.
$2000-$2500 for a mild Big Block (gotta capitalize both B's, it demands respect!) is do-able. You can look in the "Engine & drivetrain" and "Racing & hi performance" Sections for some good advice and some decent builds.
C-10 Club
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
luvbowties

Smile Re: 454block

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastnut View Post
Sam brings up an interesting point using a running big block. I just kinda like to build my own though. I'm shooting for 500hp for less than $3k--I know, I know, but I'm gonna try.
$2000-$2500 for a mild Big Block (gotta capitalize both B's, it demands respect!) is do-able. You can look in the "Engine & drivetrain" and "Racing & hi performance" Sections for some good advice and some decent builds.
Interesting, Jeff. I've not checked in quite a while, but what would a running, complete BB from a salvage yard, with acceptable miles, cost nowadays?

I'm pretty much up to date on sbc--but we do not run into many BB swap requests OR BB repair requests. In the last BB dealings we had, I do recall it cost us quite some time AND dollars just to locate the front brackets and accessories to do the swap.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
gofastnut

Hey Sam, I dunno either! I've always done SBC too! I was thinking of going turbo to be different until someone gave me a torn down 454 with steel crank and "049" heads!
I've always, and I mean ALWAYS wanted a rat motor. I know that it will cost me some $$, but not a serious amount more. And, as the saying goes "Ya gotta pay to play".
I know if you call a truck dismantler around here, you can pick up a complete stock serpentine set up, complete for $300.

Bigtruck, I say do it! The only regret you might have is not being able to pass a gas station. And if for some reason you don't like it, you can always pull it, sell it, and get a SBC.
First thing I'd do with that block it have them check it and see what it's gonna take to get cyl #4 fixed.
Oh yeah, hit Craigslist, Ebay and racingjunk fairly often to pick up some decent to excellent deals.
C-10 Club

Last edited by gofastnut; 06-17-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: hit "post" by accident
Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
bigtruckboi2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
You'll have to buy cam and lifters; buy and install cam bearings; buy crank kit, includes matching rod and main bearings; buy 8 new pistons, and have them fitted onto rods; pay for re-conditioning rods; buy and install/fit new set of rings; pay for boring; buy full set of quality gaskets--price may shock you; buy better valve seals; pay for heads-refreshing/valve job; buy an intake and carb; buy timing gears and chain; buy an oil pump and strainer; pay for assembling engine(either your labor or someone else's); fuel pump--may hafta use an electric(more costly than mechanical) if no provision(??) for mechanical one; harmonic balancer?; new freeze plugs; flex plate or flywheel; front pulleys, brackets, accessories; exhaust manifolds; PLUS $100-$250 misc. I prolly missed. Add cost of all this and see the total.

Do you want to have that much in a re-built 454? I'd compare it to a decent-mileage, salvage-yard 454 where I could see the wreck it came out of--NOT one that was hit in the front where it may have damaged crankshaft and/or block internals.

HTH,
Sam
Damn, now that you put it like that I think I'll pass this time. I'm no gear head by any means and this would be a (really, really) long term build and a first. I think I'll just wait until I'm closer to retiring and won't have to worry about changing duty stations anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device