The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
WhiteStar

GMC GRILL,Cant Make Myself Like it.????

I was reading Thru a Thread and several people replied stating That fenders and hood all need to be changed to change to chevrolet Grill,Well when I look at the LMC Cataloge,It would Appear That They Call for the same fenders on a 1968 chevy as they do a 1970 GMC. I am trying to avoid changing out Rust free perfect parts .Can anyone confirm that a 1968 chevy grill would work? I wouldnt mind doing a cowl hood so if that required then fine.Any And all Help appreciated.
WhiteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: GMC GRILL,Cant Make Myself Like it.????

yes, a 68 chevy grille will work, but i think you'll need to swap the radiator support to a 67-8 chevy version to. or maybe just leave the holes back behind the grille?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
WhiteStar

Thanks, I have been annoyed by this since I bought The truck 2 weeks ago.It Is a totally rust free truck,but there is always a catch,and in this one it was the GMC Grill.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Pop that grill on the parts board for a reasonable price and I'll buy it.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It has a GMC grille because it`s a GMC.Shoulda bought a Chevy.If I have to explain,you wouldn`t understand.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

only reason you'll need a hood is becouse the holes left from the GMC emblims.
Don't forget chevy trim, badges and tailgate too... then the badge on the glove box door, and the hubcaps if still equipped...
You could just learn to like it and spend the money on something else, like disk brakes, or lowered suspention... more horse power maybe.
GMC's take advantage of the classy/sexy lines, but have a better lookin grill that sticks out in the millions of chevys out there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Man, I would hate to get rid of a GMC grille, done right those trucks look so clean, you really ought to think long and hard about it, to me it seems like throwing effort after foolishness.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
rscam

I also have a 69 GMC and thought about changing for along time. Cost and time were big issues in me leaving it a GMC, Also when and if you sell it the trim tag still says GMC and I didn't want to explain it later. So I began to try and figure out how to make it look more appealing to me. I settled on the 71-72 grille with the black in the vertical center bar. I also painted the inside of the headlight bezels black leaving the front face chrome and it looks real good. You will learn to like it sooner or later if you choose to stay GMC.
rscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Just change it if you don't like the GMC grill. No way would I spend time or money on a body style I didnt really care for. Im building a 69 panel, I dont care for the 69 grill so Ive swapped the whole front clip to 68.

Become a board subscriber so you can put your GMC grill, rad support, and hood up for sale. Hopefully you will get enough to scrape some of the money together for the correct rad support. Plenty of GMC lovers on the board.

Last edited by CG; 05-27-2008 at 08:27 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
WhiteStar

My Post was NOT Ment to Offend.If this Truck was going to Be a Stock Height Low Performance Truck I would Prefer The GMC Grill, But Its Going To be a Hot Rod,And in My Mind when I think Hot Rod I Think Chevrolet. I Just Prefer the appearance of The Chevrolet Grills on a Lower'd Truck. In My Neck of The Woods There is 2 things That are Hard to come By, Capable Body shops and rust free trucks.To Minimize My dealings with Body Shops I have Learned to By Stuff That Doesnt require Much if any body Work.Therefore When a 77k Org. Mile Truck with Original paint showed itself For The Right Price I Jumped on it,albeit a GMC.I assumed That body parts were slightly More Interchangeable. As in wasnt aware the core support required changing.Mechanically speaking I Have very few limits,But Paint and Body Man I am Not and dont want to be.Anyway I appreciate the answers.I Dont Build Them to sell,I just Build them for me.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
nightmare

There isn't any offense to what you were saying. At least none that I took. It's all about personal preference. If you like the Chevrolet look, then by all means, that's what you like. Some people like the Chevy stuff, some like the GMC stuff. I like both. I would love to have a GMC front clip again. And I love the look of the '69-'70 grilles on the Chevy. I happen to have 2 '69 pickups at the moment, and since one of them isn't selling, I plan on trying to find a GMC front clip for it once I get the space to continue on it. Anyhow, good luck with the truck.

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Of course it's your truck... you can do what you want to with it and whatever pleases your eye. In this forum, we all have opinions, likes and dislikes. I think it would be boring if we were all of the same mind...

Bottom line, no, you didn't offend. We all just want to give you some input. My preference would be to leave GMC and keep looking for a Chevy. Then you can sell your GMC. (I'm still looking for a 67-68 Chevy stepside)

All that being said. Now, who could not like a face like this...
(68 GMC, 28K original miles. Fixing it up after 15 years and just retired)
The Chevy is my other one before I painted it black.... It's going to be repainted original color.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Lots of opinions here...bottom line is you do what you want to do to please yourself.

they're not good pics but...
mine before:

and after:

I've painted the grill blue but still need to install the headlight bezels.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote